***** ALERT - Nominations for your new ClubCJ Committee can be made here *****

P plate model restrictions relaxed in VIC-Ralliarts Approved

Everything Lancer Related + News & Current Affairs.

Moderators: Moderators, Senior Moderators

Metalstrix
Post Monster
Post Monster

P plate model restrictions relaxed in VIC-Ralliarts Approved

Postby Metalstrix » Tue Jun 17, 2014 4:54 pm

Not to do with lancers, but important stuff

http://www.carsales.com.au/news/p-plate ... -vic-44186

Victorian P-plate drivers will be able to drive a range of previously banned late-model V8, turbo and supercharged vehicles from July 1
The Victorian Minister for Roads, Terry Mulder, has announced that the state's probationary drivers will soon be able to legally drive a range of previously banned vehicles, as the old blanket restriction on V8-engined cars and turbocharged or supercharged petrol-engined cars makes way for a new power-to-weight limit.

Effective from July 1, 2014, probationary drivers in Victoria will only be excluded from driving vehicles with a power-to-weight ratio of more than 130kW per tonne – provided they were manufactured after January 1, 2010.

Vehicles manufactured before that date will continue to be restricted under the current guidelines, as VicRoads says it has no national power-to-weight data for such vehicles.

Mr Mulder said the change will give Victoria's P-plate drivers access to a range of modern, safe and efficient vehicles that are currently caught in a legislative net designed to screen out high-performance cars.

"These are practical changes that recognise that some smaller cars have turbo as standard now, for example, while making sure P-platers don't drive cars that big that are built for speed," Mr Mulder said in a press statement.

"What matters is the engine size relative to the size of the car."

Mr Mulder said the change will be welcome news to P-plate drivers in rural Victoria, where models often favoured for farm use have previously been off-limits.

"Changing the guidelines will open up better job opportunities for P-platers in regional areas, by removing restrictions on vehicles such as the Toyota LandCruiser which is preferred by the agricultural sector," he said.

"This is about practicality, as many eight-cylinder vehicles are heavy and therefore lack the ability to accelerate quickly."

VicRoads says its searchable online database of eligible vehicles will be updated to reflect the changes from July 1.

While the move to a power-to-weight ratio limit is, in essence, a triumph for common sense, the fact it only applies vehicles manufactured after January 1, 2010, will lessen the legislation's impact considerably.
Last edited by Metalstrix on Wed Jul 02, 2014 9:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
They will learn... I will always be a step ahead

No longer an active member.

R4LLI4RT
Lancer Legend
Lancer Legend

Postby R4LLI4RT » Tue Jun 17, 2014 5:03 pm

yeah its basically changed to that p platers can drive cars like the ford fiesta eco boost etc etc
so still cant get high powered cars
i think they are stupid laws anyway lots of other cars out there that can be quick that arnt v8 or inducted
3Inch Custom Cat Back Exhaust
Home Brand Alloy UICP
DBA Slotted and Drilled Rotors
K&N Panel Filter Replacement
DBA Extreme Pads
Turbosmart Dual Port BOV
Tein S Tech Springs
Painted Calipers (Makes it look faster) ;-)

Metalstrix
Post Monster
Post Monster

Postby Metalstrix » Tue Jun 17, 2014 5:09 pm

I just noticed. 130kw tonne. Is the ralliart within that category??

Metalstrix
Post Monster
Post Monster

Postby Metalstrix » Tue Jun 17, 2014 8:18 pm

Well hopefully theyll implement that law in nsw and then i can go ralliart

efod3
Lancer ES/EX
Lancer ES/EX

Postby efod3 » Tue Jun 17, 2014 9:38 pm

It's all madness anyway, for my sins once a week I cruise home on the motorway and it isn't the SS crew or the Subi's or Nismo's that go past way over the speed limit, it's the sh!t(death)boxes. These are dumb rules.

SIX
Post Monster
Post Monster

Postby SIX » Tue Jun 17, 2014 10:27 pm

any car can be dangerous put in the wrong hands !!!! , i mean what responsible parent will give or help purchase or approval a high powered car for the child to drive as a first car - that completely irresponsible
1998 MR lancer
2009 CJ lancer sportback
2011 Renault Sport RS250 Trophee Cup
2000 Tommi Makenin Evolution 6.5

Seffy
Lancer Legend
Lancer Legend

Postby Seffy » Tue Jun 17, 2014 11:19 pm

SIX wrote:any car can be dangerous put in the wrong hands !!!! , i mean what responsible parent will give or help purchase or approval a high powered car for the child to drive as a first car - that completely irresponsible

This is pretty true actually.

But, to be fair, it almost doesn't matter what car their parents will buy them. At the end of the day, the car is in their hands so what they do with it is up to them, which means they can be irresponsible whether its an Excel or an Evo. That being said, it's more likely to happen if the car actually has enough power to "play around" with.
Crayon Pop "straight-five engine" dance ftw.

Metalstrix
Post Monster
Post Monster

Postby Metalstrix » Wed Jun 18, 2014 1:54 pm

Just a note for NSW, this legislation change is being currently reviewed by the RMS as well so it means that we "p platers" can drive ralliarts 2010 plus

Metalstrix
Post Monster
Post Monster

Postby Metalstrix » Tue Jul 01, 2014 11:06 am

Gratz to your Victorians. Good to know that Ralliarts have been approved too. And a reminder to all NSW members, the same legislation is being currently reviewed by the RMS for approval :)

shadow-vex
Lancer Evolution
Lancer Evolution

Postby shadow-vex » Tue Jul 01, 2014 3:39 pm

so in vic it seems that if the car exceeds 130kw/tonne it cant be driven, so in theory this makes it okay for a p-plater to drive a ralliart but not a s2000. and in nsw, the rule is 130kw/tonne but can not be in a sport car line up, which for example is wrx/ralliart, so will be interesting to see what happens with the s2000 in nsw
Boost life scrambles the brain

Metalstrix
Post Monster
Post Monster

Postby Metalstrix » Wed Jul 02, 2014 9:53 pm

Hey guys. Please view the below pic for evidence of approval for Ralliarts 2010 onwards ONLY in Victoria for now.

Return to “ClubCJ Talk”