***** ALERT - Nominations for your new ClubCJ Committee can be made here *****

To buy a daily or keep the evo as my daily

Everything Lancer Related + News & Current Affairs.

Moderators: Moderators, Senior Moderators

D
Lancer Evolution
Lancer Evolution

To buy a daily or keep the evo as my daily

Postby D » Sun Mar 02, 2014 6:30 pm

Ok so before we start, I am not made of money, I work hard etc etc and all of that jazz,
As we know last year I bought a 2008 EVO X MR, after driving it around for a little while, the other people around me lack of care is really starting to get to me, especially when I go back to Adelaide every second knob head is tail gating me or trying to race me,
Soo today as I was driving around with my parents I was sitting at the lights I was in the left lane and the car next (right lane) started to turn across me luckily I was paying attention and the evo took the curve like a boss, the minutes later going through a dual lane round about some twat decided to just drive straight through instead of driving in his own lane, lucky i have good brakes, so with all this said I am seriously contemplating getting a second car/a daily driver now it comes to search for options, I still want so thing reliable and good rather then a cheap piece of crap I was thinking of sticking with a cj however probably an ra :) as I just off loaded my vrx
I was thinking maybe this:
http://carsales.mobi/cars/details/2010- ... AD-2488348
However this would put me in a bit of debt, however after repayments/other expenses I would still be able to save for a house and live just, I would have to go with out some stuff and make better decisions with money and also would limit future mods :(. If I were to sell the evo for roughly what I payed for it I would be a bit better off obviously aaas cheaper initial purchase price not that I want to get rid of the evo as owning an evo is awesome, and I could sell one down the track if times got tough or for a house deposit)
I was also looking at evo 7 gta
None the less others will not give two s#its
It's getting to the point where I don't really want to take the evo any were
What other options are there?
Should I go for the ra?
Just sell the evo?
or should just keep the evo and risk it etc ?
Ok go
My EVO (X MR) progress: http://clubcj.net/viewtopic.php?p=328713#328713
4 cylinders, 3 diamonds, 2 litre, 1 turbo, 0 reasons to buy anything else
ROTM WINNER SEPT 2014

Zaphod
Lancer MASTER
Lancer MASTER

Postby Zaphod » Sun Mar 02, 2014 7:12 pm

Dion, where do you want to be?

If your medium-term objective is to get a house, then the absolute first thing to do is get rid of any and all debt, never mind getting a loan for a car.

Keep the EvoX.

It's a rare thing and a privilege to own - keep it for a Sunday car; this will also preserve it in the best possible condition and you will continue to be the envy of all your friends.

Get a 'daily' car, but not a Lancer - sorry, but you'll always be making comparisons between the two, and you may as well have kept the VRX; get something completely different, even (and I hate to use the word) practical - and inexpensive to run & maintain - if you're driving a long distance to work, get a four, if not, get a commodore or similar from auction thats easy to get bits for. Even a ute or a wagon for the Bunnings Run.

But pay down your debts first of all... trust me on this one!

Cheers.
M.
"The Human species has now evolved to the point where we only have two natural predators; ourselves and peanuts..."

SIX
Post Monster
Post Monster

Postby SIX » Sun Mar 02, 2014 7:21 pm

hey man !!!! get a daily ... dont go an RA because u buy something like that and u will as protective over it as ur are the evo

id look at N/A - aspire or something like that
1998 MR lancer
2009 CJ lancer sportback
2011 Renault Sport RS250 Trophee Cup
2000 Tommi Makenin Evolution 6.5

Seffy
Lancer Legend
Lancer Legend

Postby Seffy » Sun Mar 02, 2014 7:24 pm

Keep the Evo, you got a hell of a bargain with it for what it was.

I'd go for an NA CJ for a daily (imo), but get manual. :D

But Martin makes a really good point about owning two CJs; you'd always end up comparing them and you'd likely end up using the Evo really often still cos it's the better car.

If you do go the not-a-Lancer route, there's quite a lot of nice cars to drive as dailies.
Crayon Pop "straight-five engine" dance ftw.

SIX
Post Monster
Post Monster

Postby SIX » Sun Mar 02, 2014 7:46 pm

get a Renault rs as a daily lmao :P
1998 MR lancer

2009 CJ lancer sportback

2011 Renault Sport RS250 Trophee Cup

2000 Tommi Makenin Evolution 6.5

palimak1
Lancer ES/EX
Lancer ES/EX

Postby palimak1 » Sun Mar 02, 2014 7:53 pm

Keep the Evo, getting a daily isn't worth it.

I know it is obviously a performance car but it is also new and civilised. The only time I think having a daily is worth it is if you have like a classic car or something you take out on the weekends.

That is the way I see it, it is a 4 door reasonably practical car and imo that is silly to have as a weekender. I think the best part about the Evo, especially the 10 is because they are cars that make daily driving more exciting.

I know it is obviously a car you enjoy and is precious to you but I don't think it is the sort of car you should take out for a drive every now and then.

D
Lancer Evolution
Lancer Evolution

Postby D » Sun Mar 02, 2014 8:07 pm

Yeah I suppose, none the less, fuel usage is not really an issue as I live about 2minutes from work (<2km) and everything in this town is really close, hence km's is not going to hugely increase (the odd trip back to Adelaide once a month or so doesn't hurt either, tank of fuel either way),
If I do get a daily I want some thing newish as I love the conveniences of the modern cars but has to be a bit of fun aswell,
bunnings runs meh, down here masters is where it is at :p
This was the gta I was looking at btw:
http://carsales.mobi/cars/details/2002- ... AD-2212125
Mark I don't have that renualt money
If I do get another car I will be able to consolidate my debt by the end of the year, even earlier if I get my bonus this year :), then just knuckle down and save every penny after that maybe?

ROTM WINNER SEPT 2014

Zaphod
Lancer MASTER
Lancer MASTER

Postby Zaphod » Sun Mar 02, 2014 8:16 pm

No debt, no fret...

(I just made that one up, but feel free to use it!)

:-)
"The Human species has now evolved to the point where we only have two natural predators; ourselves and peanuts..."

TasteTheRuss
Lancer Newbie
Lancer Newbie

Postby TasteTheRuss » Sun Mar 02, 2014 8:21 pm

house/land > anything :o

I'd stick with the evo

shamoo
Lancer MASTER
Lancer MASTER

Postby shamoo » Mon Mar 03, 2014 10:34 am

Keep the Evo! Its an awesome car and you will be kicking yourself if you sell it.
I agree with getting your debts paid off. I'm in debt and struggling big time, it sucks!
You could look into getting a 2nd car, and yes the evo 7s are beautiful cars, but you will probably find yourself having the same issues with being so protective of it. There are always going to be people out there who don't care about cars n what they do. Unfortunately there's nothing we can do about. I go out shopping and will park in the far end of the car park with heaps of empty spaces and 90% of the time I come back to find a car next to me.
Maybe invest in a couple dash cams so if something happens to your car while your not around you have footage of it.
Also with having a 2nd car, depending on what you get, you will most likely end up driving the evo more cos its more fun. J is keeping his hsv for now but still drives the ford everywhere cos its more fun.
"A city without trees isn't fit for a dog!" Trees For Life

blinklight
Lancer Evolution
Lancer Evolution

Postby blinklight » Mon Mar 03, 2014 10:57 am

Dion, keep the Evo and get a daily.

I use the RA Colt as my daily coz Adelaide drivers are the worst in the country, and they don't care about what they do, to either your car or theirs unfortunately.

If you go a RA your gonna be in the same position as you are with the Evo.

If you get something to drive that is fun, you won't miss driving the Evo quite so much. I have fun in both Ralliarts, they are both different drives, and both fun. I do appreciate the Lancer more when I do drive her though.

You need to weigh up if your gonna feel the same way as you do in the Evo if you go buy the Evo 7. Or just resign yourself to the fact that whatever becomes the daily is gonna get trashed by people who don't give a damn about other peoples property. Harsh I know, but that is the decision and realisation you have to come to when your pride n joy is repeatedly damaged by those who don't care.

Good luck with whatever decision you make :)
Annie's Merlinised Red Devil

R4LLI4RT
Lancer Legend
Lancer Legend

Postby R4LLI4RT » Mon Mar 03, 2014 11:23 am

horses for courses really.
i knew when i got my ra it would get dints and scratches and after a amount of time it would start making noises.
but i love it, its my car, its my pride and joy.
why spend money on a car if its just gana sit there for the weekend.
ive never understood why people keep cars like this, if its not being driven its not being enjoyed.
i dont care if it was a ferrari, if i could afford it then i would drive it.

i always look at life like this... its for the moment its for now not tomorrow, next week, month,.. honestly who knows what tomorrow holds.

if it was my evo id enjoy every moment in it.
3Inch Custom Cat Back Exhaust
Home Brand Alloy UICP
DBA Slotted and Drilled Rotors
K&N Panel Filter Replacement
DBA Extreme Pads
Turbosmart Dual Port BOV
Tein S Tech Springs
Painted Calipers (Makes it look faster) ;-)

Kal777
Lancer VRX/GTS
Lancer VRX/GTS

Postby Kal777 » Mon Mar 03, 2014 11:23 am

why not buy a CH lancer, they are massively cheap to buy, parts are cheap and easy to find, they are cheap to run and they are an older car so it doesnt matter if it gets the odd scratch or nic
Injen Cold Air Intake/K&N Invert Pod/BC BR Coilovers/Whiteline Strut Brace/DrIft Blade seats/Penrite HPR5/Penrite ProGear/PBR Gold Dot

black_ice
Lancer VRX/GTS
Lancer VRX/GTS

Postby black_ice » Mon Mar 03, 2014 11:59 am

^ Agree with Chris!!
Saying a car is for going form A to B is like saying sex is for reproduction!

D
Lancer Evolution
Lancer Evolution

Postby D » Mon Mar 03, 2014 1:43 pm

Zaphod wrote:No debt, no fret... [i:97b4306842](I just made that one up, but feel free to use it!)[/i:97b4306842] :-)

I like it,
I would probably have an ra colt if I was confident with manual tbh, awesome little cars, I understand that no matter what people won't care, however this does not change the fact that it is bull$#it.
I always have understood that wear and tear, scratches etc were going to happen, just trying to reduce the occurrence,
the evo is my pride and joy and I enjoy almost every drive (minus the part where I scrape my new front lip going in and out of the drive :p)
I do say this when I had my vrx, when I did drive my evo it felt more special sort of like a high point in an others whys mundane/average week (probably because it involved higher speeds, winding roads etc)
But I honestly don't know, maybe it is just me being me

ROTM WINNER SEPT 2014

Return to “ClubCJ Talk”