***** ALERT - Nominations for your new ClubCJ Committee can be made here *****

Front End Crash!! Help

Everything Lancer Related + News & Current Affairs.

Moderators: Moderators, Senior Moderators

yuj1n
Lancer ES/EX
Lancer ES/EX

Front End Crash!! Help

Postby yuj1n » Wed Feb 05, 2014 7:38 pm

Hey everybody,
So today I had an accident and rear ended a van. Road was wet and I tried to slow down and brake for a red light but car wouldn't stop ABS kicked in as well I'm thinking my tyres are just horrid for wet because a couple hours prior i nearly skidded on a corner.

So anyway I've sustained some damage
pics:

More here: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/shdx2psofhrp2ab/SWmit7HYUi#/

Just wondering what needs to get fixed how much it'll cost approx what i should do. I'm thinking front bar and maybe bonnet (hopefully not) and possibly fenders. Pretty shaken atm first car accident. The bonnet won't open atm so I'm thinking the front bar is stuck with the latch. What do you all think I should do.

Thanks.

Locksmiff
Lancer Newbie
Lancer Newbie

Postby Locksmiff » Wed Feb 05, 2014 7:44 pm

Theoretically it will minimumly cost what your insurance excess is

El-Diablo
Lancer VR/GT
Lancer VR/GT

Postby El-Diablo » Wed Feb 05, 2014 8:12 pm

Id say around five grand but like Locksmiff said its basically your insurance excess

black_ice
Lancer VRX/GTS
Lancer VRX/GTS

Postby black_ice » Wed Feb 05, 2014 8:15 pm

Question is do u have comprehensive or 3rd party insurance?
Saying a car is for going form A to B is like saying sex is for reproduction!

yuj1n
Lancer ES/EX
Lancer ES/EX

Postby yuj1n » Wed Feb 05, 2014 10:35 pm

yeah I've got comprehensive with Just Car... but my excess is pretty high.
But your all saying its gonna cost around 5k maybe its worth it to claim. I was hoping it would be less. Is it that much because the front bar costs a lot? Should i contact bodyshops and ask for quotes or panelbeaters etc? or it's just not worth the time?

Locksmiff
Lancer Newbie
Lancer Newbie

Postby Locksmiff » Wed Feb 05, 2014 10:44 pm

yuj1n wrote:yeah Ive got comprehensive with Just Car... but my excess is pretty high. But your all saying its gonna cost around 5k maybe its worth it to claim. I was hoping it would be less. Is it that much because the front bar costs a lot? Should i contact bodyshops and ask for quotes or panelbeaters etc? or its just not worth the time?
Your potentially up for the other guys car anyway.

Metalstrix
Post Monster
Post Monster

Postby Metalstrix » Wed Feb 05, 2014 11:36 pm

geezus
They will learn... I will always be a step ahead

No longer an active member.

KaiKat
Lancer VRX/GTS
Lancer VRX/GTS

Postby KaiKat » Thu Feb 06, 2014 12:34 am

Glad you got out ok, it could have easily have been worse, especially in the wet.
I would recommend going through your insurance, it will probably be cheaper for you especially when the other person's insurance comes and asks you to pay for the damage to the van as well.

PS: atm I know what ur going through :(
TrojanHorse: Kyle, the red rocket!

Frosty
Lancer ES/EX
Lancer ES/EX

Postby Frosty » Thu Feb 06, 2014 12:53 am

Yeah I would definitely be going through insurance for that one mate.
I had a much smaller ding with a wooden post (with leaves) a while back and the out-of-pocket cost would have been around 3.5-4K.
2.0L - K&N Typhoon SRI - High-Flow Exhaust System - Merlinised

jordan.fuchs
Lancer Ralliart
Lancer Ralliart

Postby jordan.fuchs » Thu Feb 06, 2014 7:32 am

Firstly, glad you're ok, as was said above, it could have been 10000 x worse.

You need to way up whether you're better off paying the excess now and bringing your premium up for the next few years. Or whether it would be better for you to just pay for the repairs and keep your premium low.

I would say though, for an accident like this you're looking at around the 5-6k mark (as people have already said) my guess is insurance is the way to go, unless you have some rediculously high excess.

R4LLI4RT
Lancer Legend
Lancer Legend

Postby R4LLI4RT » Thu Feb 06, 2014 7:55 am

yeah id go with insurance, panel shops charge an arm and a leg and if u go cheap then who knows what kinda job ull end up with, just pay the insurance
3Inch Custom Cat Back Exhaust
Home Brand Alloy UICP
DBA Slotted and Drilled Rotors
K&N Panel Filter Replacement
DBA Extreme Pads
Turbosmart Dual Port BOV
Tein S Tech Springs
Painted Calipers (Makes it look faster) ;-)

D
Lancer Evolution
Lancer Evolution

Postby D » Thu Feb 06, 2014 7:56 am

Yeah I know them feels, I only had 3rd party in my Fto when I rear ended somebody, minor damage to her car (just over 1k) but a fair bit of damage to mine, she went the insurance route unfortunately after asking for her to get a private quote through a family friends business, which sucked, so I was left with an Fto which I ended up sourcing a quater cut (+hood) and getting the repears done by the family friends shop for 4K this included all parts and painting which I did not think was two bad considering the amount of work went in to the repairs, way more than quoted, if i could have claimed it on insurance that would have been awesome and saved my money's, but back then could not afford full comp :(
My EVO (X MR) progress: http://clubcj.net/viewtopic.php?p=328713#328713
4 cylinders, 3 diamonds, 2 litre, 1 turbo, 0 reasons to buy anything else
ROTM WINNER SEPT 2014

yuj1n
Lancer ES/EX
Lancer ES/EX

Postby yuj1n » Thu Feb 06, 2014 8:22 am

That's the van that got hit... doesn't look like he took much. Its probably mostly my car that needs repairing

So the figures you're all getting of 5k is that just from repairs by body shops for parts/labour. Is it because that there might be small stuff that got damaged that I just can't see? Just from looking from I thought wouldn't be that much. Man this sucks so much...One the first things I'm getting is new tyres, I can't trust the ones im using (Federal SS595) any more.

Mystique
Lancer MASTER
Lancer MASTER

Postby Mystique » Thu Feb 06, 2014 8:59 am

yuj1n wrote:yeah Ive got comprehensive with Just Car... but my excess is pretty high. But your all saying its gonna cost around 5k maybe its worth it to claim. I was hoping it would be less. Is it that much because the front bar costs a lot? Should i contact bodyshops and ask for quotes or panelbeaters etc? or its just not worth the time?

Ouch :( Unfortunately as expensive as it is, you would be better off claiming on insurance, As it might not be as easy as a new bumper and a new bonnet, My fiancee ran up the back of someone last year and He was just hoping for a new front bumper as the only damage was a hole in the front bumper, unfortunately, he did around $4,500 damage and needed a new a reinforcement bar as well as a new bumper. new headlights, brackets etc. For him it was just easier to pay the $1100 excess...

ImageImage

My personal opinion, is take it to a bodyworks, and get a quote, but if it's more then what your excess is, then I would just pay the excess, :) That's what it's there for! :]

Goodluck!
Daily: My14 Lancer LX
Weekender: 2009 MY09 Ralliart Hatch

My Mod Thread: viewtopic.php?p=324612#324612
Instagram: http://instagram.com/mitsii_lx

Return to “ClubCJ Talk”