***** ALERT - Nominations for your new ClubCJ Committee can be made here *****

Just curious

Everything Lancer Related + News & Current Affairs.

Moderators: Moderators, Senior Moderators

klvru
Lancer VR/GT
Lancer VR/GT

Just curious

Postby klvru » Mon Aug 19, 2013 9:26 pm

Hey all

I'm just curious, if say car A doesn't have insurance but car B does and B causes A to write off his car. Would A be able to claim from B since he doesn't have insurance?

The X
INACTIVE Member Account

Postby The X » Mon Aug 19, 2013 9:38 pm

At the at fault driver pays up (or a least their insurance does).
So car B is at fault in this case, then car B's insurance would have to pay for repairs on both car A & B.
The only problem with car A is there is no insurance company to do the chasing up on your behalf, so as the driver of car A, you'll have to be dealing with Car B's insurance company directly or at least via Driver B.

I'm hoping you're talking about comprehensive insurance and not the compulsory third party that's a requirement of registration.

shadow-vex
Lancer Evolution
Lancer Evolution

Postby shadow-vex » Mon Aug 19, 2013 10:04 pm

if u dnt mean CTP then if car b was at fault their insurance covers car A. tht being if their insurance covers third party, coz as long as it has 3rd party car A is covered
Boost life scrambles the brain

debonaire
Lancer Ralliart
Lancer Ralliart

Postby debonaire » Tue Aug 20, 2013 2:29 pm

As I understand it, when you make a not at fault claim, your insurer pays you directly from their pot, you don't get paid from the at fault driver's insurance. They either just add it to the ledger and all the underwriters settle their IOUs at the end of the year, or they get the funding a long time down the track once they sort it out.

As Pete mentioned, if the not at fault driver is uninsured, you won't have them acting as your agent to do all the chasing up, but that could also mean it takes months (or years) for you to get the money, as you won't be paid up front from your insurer, you will need to wait for the at fault insurer to come good. And to be honest, regardless of how straightforward the accident is, I wouldn't ever bank on seeing that money if its just little old you up against an insurance company. The insurers can be fighting about who is paying for a long time after cars have been repaired and the customers are on their happy way.

klvru
Lancer VR/GT
Lancer VR/GT

Postby klvru » Thu Aug 22, 2013 1:41 am

okaaay thanks for the clarification.

So if both parties are uninsured (except for CTP), then it would up to the at fault driver's decision?

jordan.fuchs
Lancer Ralliart
Lancer Ralliart

Postby jordan.fuchs » Thu Aug 22, 2013 8:58 am

CTP covers any cars involved in the accident (except your own) so if Car B causes Car A to write off his car Car B's CTP will cover Car A's repairs/replacement cheque. That being said if you were uninsured you will still be in quite a bit of trouble.

This is as far as I understand it anyway.

citris.87
Lancer VRX/GTS
Lancer VRX/GTS

Postby citris.87 » Thu Aug 22, 2013 9:04 am

CTP is only for personal injury or death. So if you injure someone and they take you to caught, CTP will cover you, it doesn't cover any vehicle.

jordan.fuchs
Lancer Ralliart
Lancer Ralliart

Postby jordan.fuchs » Thu Aug 22, 2013 9:07 am

Oh, so it doesn't cover the other party's repair bill?

citris.87
Lancer VRX/GTS
Lancer VRX/GTS

Postby citris.87 » Thu Aug 22, 2013 9:26 am

Unfortunately no, I kinda wish it did, as there are a lot of cars around that don't have insurance, so if you get hit by them, you have to cover all the excess charges from insurance that you shouldn't have to.

I think NZ has a law that requires at least some insurance to cover against damage to other cars, we need something along those lines in Australia I recon.

Return to “ClubCJ Talk”