***** ALERT - Nominations for your new ClubCJ Committee can be made here *****

INSURANCE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Everything Lancer Related + News & Current Affairs.

Moderators: Moderators, Senior Moderators

blinklight
Lancer Evolution
Lancer Evolution

Postby blinklight » Mon Jun 03, 2013 11:25 pm

I pay under $900 yearly and thats for 3 cars with Shannons :P
Annie's Merlinised Red Devil

TheVeeMachine
Lancer ES/EX
Lancer ES/EX

Postby TheVeeMachine » Tue Jun 04, 2013 12:27 am

A few general notes on insurance:
- For P platers, insurance is much cheaper if the vehicle is insured under a business name
- Insurance premiums are supposed to increase every year; something to do with parts prices and repairs on older cars being more expensive, and I would assume a wreck would also be worth less
- If a vehicle is insured 'under someone else's name' and you are not a listed driver, then you are not insured, and you are not doing yourself any favours. You also may be preventing yourself from building a no claims discount.

Furthermore, if you are unlisted on an insurance policy and are involved in an accident, said accident will go on the insured driver's record, and you will have to pay an additional excess for not being included on the vehicle's insurance. e.g. if a 20 year old P-plater crashes his dad's car - on which he is not listed as a regular driver, he will have to pay the normal excess of $6-800 +/- any adjustments they have nominated in their policy, + unnamed driver excess + under 25 excess (although these could be combined), the total of which could well exceed $2500, not to mention the higher future premiums.

I have found NRMA to be the cheapest for us young people - I paid ~$900 as sole driver, 18YO [business] on a '12 Lancer, last year; and ~$1,700 on a 4 year old Citroen C4 [private] the year before.

turbogirl
Lancer MASTER
Lancer MASTER

Postby turbogirl » Tue Jun 04, 2013 8:28 am

I'm with QBE mainly because of the new for old replacement if car written off in first 4 years. I pay approx $100 month. When I added my wheels and personalised plates they didn't up my premiums which was nice :-)

My previous car was insured with Suncorp, yes they aren't cheap but cheapest isn't always best! I had a BMX rider run into my car and Suncorp were great to deal with and efficient.
turbogirl
Member's Liaison Officer
Executive Team

In debt and loving it

debonaire
Lancer Ralliart
Lancer Ralliart

Postby debonaire » Tue Jun 04, 2013 8:30 am

I switched to AAMI from NRMA QLD this year. Last year I did NRMA's guaranteed price beat thing and royally screwed them down to less than half their 'competitive' quote. So they sent me a renewal that went up more than double and didn't offer to bring it down.

I called up AAMI, because due to having a modification that wasn't on their list (swaybar) I couldn't purchase online. The bloke on the phone was like 'I can do better than the internet price anyway' and saved me quite a bit more for nothing!

BUZZ_QWERTY
Lancer VRX/GTS
Lancer VRX/GTS

Postby BUZZ_QWERTY » Tue Jun 04, 2013 9:14 am

TheVeeMachine wrote:If a vehicle is insured under someone elses name and you are not a listed driver, then you are [u:a8eca833e9]not[/u:a8eca833e9] insured

:P :P :P CONTRADICTION :P :P :P

NRMA - We Cover Anybody Who Drives Your Car

http://www.nrma.com.au/shanes-car-your-car :P

LuLu
Lancer ES/EX
Lancer ES/EX

Postby LuLu » Tue Jun 04, 2013 10:18 am

Bassline Ambassador AL wrote:Mark if its any consolation i pay 2400 a year and I cant find cheaper, for complete stock too

SAAME! i have 200/month with just car... *sigh but yeah you're right it is worth it and does give you peace of mind :)
TheVeeMachine wrote:A few general notes on insurance: - For P platers, insurance is much cheaper if the vehicle is insured under a business name -

how do you insure under a business name? :O

scott_drake
Lancer VRX/GTS
Lancer VRX/GTS

Postby scott_drake » Tue Jun 04, 2013 11:21 am

Lol, i insured the evo for 57.5k under my name, under 25, and a shocking driving record for 1,500 a year full comp insurance, nrma, and i live in the scum of sydney where cars get ripped left right n centre, nrma dont give 2 craps about your mods, they all say if it passes blue slip them it deemed legal and road worthy!..so no need to tell them about your mods.....

My pervious lancer had lots of mods done to it, was in a collision (not my fault) mods got damaged , they did not know about them till it was with them, and they still replaced them....only asked me where i got the mods from so they can get them direct...

scott_drake
Lancer VRX/GTS
Lancer VRX/GTS

Postby scott_drake » Tue Jun 04, 2013 11:29 am

If you pass blue slip with any mods your car is deemed as legal and roadworthy ....so you can tell highway to go f off....as soon as u say that they cant really defect you by LAW.....as long as its not sumfin silly like bold tyres or headlights not working....i had an OPEN pod filter and as soon as i said it passed blue slip so my car is legal and roadworthy by you defecting me for this you as a police officer are breaking the law....and guess what he tore that defect notice up and let me be on my way

debonaire
Lancer Ralliart
Lancer Ralliart

Postby debonaire » Tue Jun 04, 2013 1:43 pm

How do you prove the car was modified when the roadworthy inspection was done?

scott_drake
Lancer VRX/GTS
Lancer VRX/GTS

Postby scott_drake » Tue Jun 04, 2013 2:31 pm

debonaire wrote:How do you prove the car was modified when the roadworthy inspection was done?

heres how

Every single law that the govt has ever made ALWAYS has a LOOP HOLE...Why you ask? so they can cover there arses if they ever get caught...And how to i know this? I know people in parliment house...

The court of LAW only looks at the FACTS, NOTHING ELSE

Firstly: You dont have to proof anything to the insurance, How? Becuase at the end of the day if it passed blue slip it is DEEMED road worthy and legal, so in a court of law isurance would be crushed...How do i know this? I know people who work in insurance, and law

Secondly: I am going to give you an VERY basic example....defects, you all think you can get defected for every mod, but legally you cant....The evo 10 comes out with BBS Wheels out from FACTORY...BUT BBS are NOT GENUINE MITSUBISHI, THAT IS A FACT, (this is what the court WILL be agreeing with)....So if a car can come out with NON GENUINE PARTS and be sold and registered LEGALLY and there for CANNOT LEGALLY be Defected or VOID insurance ANY AFTERMARKET WHEEL CAN BE DEEMED AS LEGAL, road worthy and cannot void insurance (within the requirement of the mitsubishi manufacture specs,)

Now i want you to think how many NON GENIUNE Mitsubishi parts are on your car??? id say 70% of the car is not MADE by mitsubishi but made by many other companys which would be classified as NON GENIUNE AFTERMARKET,,, it just happens to be installed by mitsubishi

all update this later on,

TheVeeMachine
Lancer ES/EX
Lancer ES/EX

Postby TheVeeMachine » Tue Jun 04, 2013 2:55 pm

BUZZ_QWERTY wrote::P :P :P CONTRADICTION :P :P :P NRMA - We Cover Anybody Who Drives Your Car http://www.nrma.com.au/shanes-car-your-car :P

Most insurers will 'cover' anyone driving your car; however, as I wrote above, they will charge a large unnamed driver excess. If they didn't, then there would be no need for more than one driver to be listed on any insurance policy.

LuLu wrote:how do you insure under a business name? :O

During the quote process the representative/website will ask you if the car is to be insured under your name or a business name (they will ask what drivers are to be nominated later in the application). You will need an ABN and a valid connection to the business you are trying to insure under.

debonaire wrote:How do you prove the car was modified when the roadworthy inspection was done?

When I asked my insurer (NRMA) about this, the representative told me to keep receipts and take lots of pictures.

Scott, a few points on what you've said:

(i) The law is supposed to be open to interpretation - if the leglislative arm of the government were to make laws for every single nuance, then everyone would be inundated in legislation. To prevent this, the law aims to blanket as many potential situations as possible through highly ambiguous common law decisions and legislative reforms.

(ii) While you may not need to prove anything to the insurance company, inversely, the insurance company is allowed to prove wrong on your part, and charge you an additional 'special excess', or worse, not payout insurance. e.g. When I called my local window tinter, I was informed that while they can tint darker than street legal, insurance companies have been known to charge excess of up to $2,500 for illegal mods.

(iii) The insurance companies don't have issue with you having mods on your car. They will payout if you write off your vehicle with undeclared aftermarket wheels; but they won't payout for said rims specifically, e.g. if they are stolen.

For all readers of this thread, please take all posts with a grain of salt, and conduct your own inquiries with your insurance companies before making any decisions.

- VM

SIX
Post Monster
Post Monster

Postby SIX » Tue Jun 04, 2013 4:13 pm

All we need are engineering certificates as we don't have roadworthy certificates here I have them but the insurance still will not insure me ;(
1998 MR lancer
2009 CJ lancer sportback
2011 Renault Sport RS250 Trophee Cup
2000 Tommi Makenin Evolution 6.5

scott_drake
Lancer VRX/GTS
Lancer VRX/GTS

Postby scott_drake » Tue Jun 04, 2013 5:52 pm

TheVeeMachine wrote:[quote:4d310390b8=BUZZ_QWERTY] (ii) While you may not need to prove anything to the insurance company, inversely, the insurance company is allowed to prove wrong on your part, and charge you an additional special excess, or worse, not payout insurance. e.g. When I called my local window tinter, I was informed that while they can tint darker than street legal, insurance companies have been known to charge excess of up to $2,500 for illegal mods. - VM

Now with this point, ^^^

the insurance compy can TRY to prove wrong of your part....there not ALLOWED but they can TRY...if you say in a court of law what i have said in my previous post then that would mean that ALL cars are would be DEEMED ILLIEGAL and unroadworthy, so that would mean

No need for insurance
No need for rego
No need for blue slip
No need for green slip
No need to get engenring certifactes
No laws regarding speeding, seatbelts, and modifactions

The govt would loose so much money..do you get what im sayin?? There is a loop hole in every single law so that the govt can cover there arses and there has to be a loop hole, other wise we would be in slave labour meaning the govt own us LOL.....Its all corruption....Go spend a day in court watching the shit you see people get away with, some is petty that you would laugh over, some is serious stuff....

becuase in a court of law that only sees black and white no colour hahaha, if the court where to go with the inusrnance company on my example than that would mean every single car on the road would then be unroadworthy and ILLIGAL

the goverment would loose so much money....

If you really want to get anal about it, take a look at the engine oil we use, it aint mitsubishi oil is it? Therefore the engine would be MODIFIED....

, me and a group of people including lawers who are very passionote about cars are trying to brake the system, If you look at it in LAW point of view, that means that if a police defects you, what he is doing is ILLIEGAL and he should be sacked becuase he is breaking the law, IN the eyes of the COURT...Where working to get all the legistrations etc.......and we going to take it to court, so we as car lovers can modify our cars and not be hassled by police, insurance, and rta...

debonaire
Lancer Ralliart
Lancer Ralliart

Postby debonaire » Wed Jun 05, 2013 1:39 pm

scott_drake wrote:Now i want you to think how many NON GENIUNE Mitsubishi parts are on your car??? id say 70% of the car is not MADE by mitsubishi but made by many other companys which would be classified as NON GENIUNE AFTERMARKET,,, it just happens to be installed by mitsubishi all update this later on,

That's true, but the car is judged to have complied with ADRs based on the standard equipment included on the car as it is imported into the country. It's got nothing to do with who actually manufactures it. Just because the standard equipment includes 'non-genuine' wheels doesn't mean you can go and put on any wheel you want and be within the law.

Similarly, just because a vehicle passes roadworthy doesn't mean that from that point until the end of time it is roadworthy even if you modify the vehicle, that's just ridiculous.

I appreciate you're trying to fight the man but your arguments just don't make sense.

I don't know people in parliament house though.

tadz0rz
Genius
Genius

Postby tadz0rz » Wed Jun 05, 2013 2:46 pm

As said by Vaughan, modifications have to adhere to ADR rules.

An example of this, is your allowed to fit aftermarket wheels to a car pending they do not exceed a certain rolling diameter over the original wheels. They can also not pertrude from the outside of the car or foul the guards.

Your modifications are only illegal when they do not adhere to the ADR compliance laws.

As for your point regarding blue slips (im guessing this is some sort of roadworthy cert) and that if a car comes with a blue slip and therefore makes it legal and roadworthy and turns the cop into the bad guy and he should be sacked ra ra rar, thats bullocks.

You cant tell me that if I go get a roadworthy for my car on a bone stock lancer, then once i have the slip, go throw on wheels which foul the guards, axed on its ass, exhaust loud as hell, still makes it legal because you have a piece of paper that says its legal?

Untill you get a roadworthy stating that the vehicle is roadworthy with all the wide ass wheels, loud exhausts and any modifications and changes made to it, then can you shove it in the face of a police officer and tell him to leave you alone.

If your going to start dishing out advice, my first suggestion is, speak properly with proper grammar. I barely made any sense of that dribble up there so how is anyone going to trust your point if you cant even form a proper sentence.

/rant

----

Now in regards to the insurance, RACV will be your best bet. They cover all modifications pending that they meet ADR standards and your car is deemed to be roadworthy at the time of the accident. I insure my car under my mums name and me as a name driver and pay about $1200, insured for agreed value of $23000 with all modifications.

AAMI will probably be one of the cheapest but they are the shonkiest insurers going around. You take your car to an assessing center where repairers place bets on how much it will cost to fix, whoever has the lowest price, gets the job which means, if the repairer under quotes it, they are going to cut corners on your car and you'll end up with a bad result.

I work for a company called Audatex, we are a software solution for the automotive claims industry which is the world standard everywhere except Australia. Australia is the only country in the world who has such a stupid way of quoting vehicles for repair. We work off a funny time/funny money. What does this mean? Repairers make up a time on how long it takes to fix/remove/refit/paint a car. Hence why you will find that one repair shop will quote $1000 for a repair, and the other will quote $1500 for a repair. Audatex uses OEM times and methods to generate a quote so if the exact same work is done at one shop, it should be roughly the same as the shop down the road depending on their hourly $$ rate.

We have both A&G and Youi insurance on as partners here in Australia and you'd probably wondering why the insurance on our cars is more expensive then other insurers is because Youi & A&G have researched the average cost of repairs on certain vehicles and provides the quotes based on that. The cheaper your car is to repair, the cheaper it is to insure. Be-it that they do provide discounts on 'how you drive', your quote is actually based on the average cost of repair on your car.
Got a question? Read the ClubCJ Ultimate Guide First!!
Just...Dont worry about it ;)Dont Click Me

Return to “ClubCJ Talk”