***** ALERT - Nominations for your new ClubCJ Committee can be made here *****

Need help! Buying new Lancer CJ EOFY time. ES or VR?

Everything Lancer Related + News & Current Affairs.

Moderators: Moderators, Senior Moderators

ES or VR? Sway me!

Get ES and add mods will be cheaper.
27%
Get a VR - More value from spending the extra $$
64%
ES+VR < Candy
9%

Total votes: 11

clem
INACTIVE Member Account

Need help! Buying new Lancer CJ EOFY time. ES or VR?

Postby clem » Mon Jan 25, 2010 9:14 pm

Hi guys,

New to this site, so be nice :P I'm a potential CJ owner, started saving for one and looking to make the purchase during the EOFY sales.

I'm having trouble decide whether I shud buy an ES or is it worth spending the extra ~6-7k jumping up to a VR. Could you please enlighten me on what the main differences are between the 2?

I've been checking out redbook doin a bit of research and noticed that there is no center console armrest for the ES is this true? If so, is it easy to add it as an option? I really need an armrest!

I dont care about the alloys the VR offers as I'm looking at getting 17" rims anyway wether i get the ES or VR. Also dont care much about the audio as I intend to buy a dash kit and deck it out with a 7" JVC dvd lcd, and put a decent set of splits/amp/sub combo.

How much would a decent bodykit cost to suit up the ES? I saw some x-factor parts on the site, I would like Skirts, spoiler and front lip. Just wondering if all the mods I spend would end up costing the same as purchasing a VR from the beginning!

I would really like to get a sunroof for my new lancer, has anybody had experience getting OEM or aftermarket SR? Prices if any?

So i'm asking all CJ ES/VR owners to please share their experiences and give me an insight so I can make the right decision when buying! Much appreciated!

aspir3
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby aspir3 » Mon Jan 25, 2010 9:23 pm

Welcome clem.

Good luck trying to work out which model to get.

If you do wheels and body kit sounds like es will be fine.

VRX is what people will tell you to get as it has the body kit, better suspension and the 2.4L engine.

I have a factory sunroof and find it good.
I believe Aspired is the only member with after market sunroof.
He is very happy with it.
It was similar to price but has extra features.
Two pieces of glass and rain sensor.

SIR-VRX
Genius
Genius

Postby SIR-VRX » Mon Jan 25, 2010 9:28 pm

IMO worth the step up to the VR. It's about $5k more and for about $8k more you can get into a VRX.

VR has over ES:

- Leather wheel, hear knob and handbrake
- Audio buttons on steering wheel
- Auto Wipers and Lights
- Centre console arm rest
- Chrome interior bits (pretty sure VR does, VRX definitely does)
- 16" alloy wheels
- Side skirts
- Rear lip spoiler
- Fog lights
- 6 Stack CD Player with 6 speakers (not single disc and 4)
- Curtain and side seat airbags
- Chrome Exhaust tip

VRX adds to that

- 2.4L Engine
- Flappy Paddles for the CVT model
- RF Sound System with sub
- Front airi dams
- Rear spoiler
- Smart key
- Bluetooth with voice control
- Better seats and seat trim
- CF look dash trims
- Bigger brakes
- Sportier suspension
- 18" wheels
- More chrome inside again

Pretty sure I've got it all, but I may have missed some

Graham
Post Monster
Post Monster

Postby Graham » Mon Jan 25, 2010 9:32 pm

My VR (Platinum) didn't come with a 6 stacker CD.. Perhaps it may of just been the Platinum that missed out because it has MMCS?

My VR also has chrome, but it could also be the Platinum part.. I have some chrome where the VRX does not like on the exterior windows..
Four wheels move the body, two wheels move the soul.
ImageImage
Daily Driver: Yamaha R1
Weekend Warrior: BMW Z4 Roadster

ofey
Alumni
Alumni

Postby ofey » Mon Jan 25, 2010 9:39 pm

Between an ES and a VR, buy an ES.
Between a VR and VRX, buy a VRX.

Since you will be modding the car heavily anyways, I'd say go for the ES. Try and get the cheapest ES you can get.

For A$6->7K, I could show you quite abit of things you could do:
1. Member PMR is selling a set of 4 VRX Wheels with stock Yoko Advan A1 Tyres done 5000KM for A$700. Say a further A$200 for P&P. (Total = A$900).
2. Steering wheel Audio Control = A$120 delivered through me.
3. HOS Body kit = A$2200 delivered + A$550 painting and A$200 fitting = A$2900
4. BC Coilover set = A$1,400 + A$200 install = A$1600
5. GReddy SE Exhaust = A$580 delivered (direct bolt on you can do yourself
6. Ultra Racing front strut bar and Rear Lower Bar = A$350 delivered through me.
7. XFactor Evo X Spoiler = A$ 500

Total = A$7,000

I think your ES will cane any VR on the road once you've done all that. So don't waste your money buying a VR.

The only reason why you would go for a VRX over VR is the smart key function.

Just my 7cents.
Beeble tooned MY08 OEd. w/ RA BKit+SWheel
Cosworth Panel Filter w/ RA Intake | SuperCircuit 4-2-1 Headers | Creat’d Ti-tipped SS exhaust
BC BR-type Coilovers | UR + Whiteline Bars
EBC GreenStuff Pads | RDA Rotors

SIR-VRX
Genius
Genius

Postby SIR-VRX » Mon Jan 25, 2010 9:39 pm

That's the platinum stuff Graham.

Although the VR now has new alloy design and chrome top grille surround ;)

aspir3
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby aspir3 » Mon Jan 25, 2010 9:51 pm

clem to help you out a bit more can you let us know a bit more about yourself?

Do you plan doing all the mods yourself or paying some one to add all the extras can add up.

What type of driving do you do?

And anything else that you think might help.

SIR-VRX
Genius
Genius

Postby SIR-VRX » Mon Jan 25, 2010 9:53 pm

If you are interested Clem, come check out our Meet this Friday evening: http://clubcj.net/viewtopic.php?t=3842

You can then see all various spec levels for yourself! Plus the many various mods we all have!

StrkEagle
Lancer VR/GT
Lancer VR/GT

Postby StrkEagle » Mon Jan 25, 2010 9:58 pm

I'd suggest booking a test drive at your local Mitsi dealer for each of the models you are interested in, I did and it easily swayed me towards the VRX from the ES and VR

Pete

clem
INACTIVE Member Account

Postby clem » Mon Jan 25, 2010 10:01 pm

Appreciate the replies guys, hmm.. still pretty tough decision bcoz there are a couple of things that do appeal to me from the VR

eg. climate control a/c, rain sensing wipers, headlight sensors

These things on top of the 6sp audio, body kit/alloys and interior decor do kind of justify the extra 5k.

My budget is realistically 23k drive away MT, so I think VRX is out of the question unless I can convince myself to keep saving further for it :P

I was thinking it would be alot less hassle just getting the VR because all I'd need to do with it is change rims and lower it to look sweet. Gettin an ES would involve sourcing a body kit, getting it painted and fitted.

By the way, I saw on the pricing post that people were getting the VR for ~ 23k drive away, what do you think my chances are of getting this at EOFY sales? Will I need to put a lot of time and effort trying to haggle for that price or would dealers give it to me at that price without much trouble?

Would that also mean that I could possibly get the ES at lower than 21k drive away (as alot of places are advertising at the moment)? Would help also if people could post how much they paid for their ES/VR to give me a good ballpark figure to go to the dealership with!

Thanks!

Clem.

JaCe
Alumni
Alumni

Postby JaCe » Mon Jan 25, 2010 10:10 pm

For what it's worth, keep in mind that if you buy the car with an OEM bodykit or OEM alloys you are far less likely to mod it in the future.

"A man who stands for nothing, falls for anything."

clem
INACTIVE Member Account

Postby clem » Mon Jan 25, 2010 10:18 pm

Yeah sorry, been so into trying to compare the 2 models I forgot to mention details about myself!

Well I currently own a Honda Civic 05 Hatch, I love the car but unfortunately its aging (140,000km's) and I would like to sell it before its worth nothing and costly problems arise.

Back when my GF was lookin for a car, I test drove the VR sedan way back when the CJ series first released, and I liked it! (Tested an Auto, but I prefer Manual anyday!) Unfortunately my gf didnt like it coz it was too big and she ended up getting a Colt Turbo Cabriolet (haggled to 27k), awesome little car.

I've been doin alot of research lately on similar cars:
Family owns a 07 Civic sedan
Drove a Corolla - sucked ass
Tested an i30 - engine was good, handled like crap
Mazda 3 - Meh never liked them

In the end I narrowed it down to CJ mainly due to:
More power than my civic and the above vehicles
Good sharp handling and rigid body
Best looking out of all vehicles
CRUISE CONTROL STANDARD OMFG !*(#(*%
Loads of standard safety equipment not offered by above vehicles

I like to do most mods myself like in car entertainment, changing panel filter would be easy for me and, changing lights, adding HID's and stuff all reasonably easy. Only thing I wouldnt touch is the mechanical stuff and probably fitting of bodykit.

I love driving manual and would probly never buy an auto til i have arthritis or when im 60+.

I do enjoy the occasional mountain drives with bendy roads - my gf recently moved to Crows Nest out near toowoomba to work and Ive been taking Esk-Hampton road alot - very fun to drive :)

I drive ALOT (30-40km a yr) and I would mainly be usin this as a daily - getting to work - travelling in between jobs so i wont be getting a loud exhaust. Hence why I need an armrest :)

Fuel efficiency is a must so unfortunately as good as the VRX is, its a gas guzzler :(

SIR-VRX
Genius
Genius

Postby SIR-VRX » Mon Jan 25, 2010 10:20 pm

VRX isn't a gas guzzler!! WTF??

Bee's dick difference in it! Even the 2.4 is bugger all difference!

JaCe
Alumni
Alumni

Postby JaCe » Mon Jan 25, 2010 10:25 pm

LOL @ bees dick remark.

Out of your car list mentioned the one thing about the Civic is the interior quality is so far above any other car in this class... even the Mazda3 which is meant to be quality doesn't feel or look as good as the Civic FD!

Anyway yes the power from the Lancer (even in 2L guise) is sufficiently more than the Civic. The car may not handle as well as the Civic but it has far stronger acceleration from memory especially when overtaking.

"A man who stands for nothing, falls for anything."

PYLee
Lancer MASTER
Lancer MASTER

Postby PYLee » Mon Jan 25, 2010 10:25 pm

buy my aspire = win
Lancer Evolution 10MR

Return to “ClubCJ Talk”