***** ALERT - Nominations for your new ClubCJ Committee can be made here *****

Engine stalling

Everything Lancer Related + News & Current Affairs.

Moderators: Moderators, Senior Moderators

Discopolo
Lancer Learner
Lancer Learner

Engine stalling

Postby Discopolo » Thu Nov 15, 2018 7:53 pm

I recently asked in chat about this, but i thought making a topic would be better.
I have an 09 VRX which is stalling on me. I press the clutch in and the revs drop to 0. Engine and battery light turn on.
I replaced the battery and it seemed to have been better for a little while but started stalling again.
Someone told me that the ECU will need to relearn its parameters after a few cycles with the aircon on both hot and cold.
It was fine for an hour driving, then it started to stall, then the engine light came on and stopped stalling, then it started stalling again.
Is there anything specific i need to do because its hella scary losing power steering around a turn.

lancerdarryl
Lancer MASTER
Lancer MASTER

Re: Engine stalling

Postby lancerdarryl » Fri Nov 16, 2018 5:41 am

Take it to your mechanic and have him do a scan and go from there.
Evolution X MR+ Lancer VRX Sportback +LA Lancer GSR
"Don't back off until you hit something"

burfadel
Lancer Ralliart
Lancer Ralliart

Postby burfadel » Fri Nov 16, 2018 8:13 am

Interesting it cuts out when you remove the load, I can only guess at possible reasons. If you press the accelerator slightly when you press the clutch does it still cut out? When you remove the load like that fuel suddenly greatly reduces, and the throttle body butterfly valve mostly closes. If there is huge build-up of gunk from the PCV valve on the butterfly valve it could restrict air flow too much. Easy to check by removing the hose. Could also be a blocked fuel filter or bad fuel pump, worn or contaminated spark plugs, or a vacuum leak from deteriorated vacuum lines. Take the engine cover off and check the vacuum lines, throttle body, spark plugs if you have a removal tool, anything else that looks dodgy.

If your car has an EGR valve like some do, it could be getting sticky and stuck open creating a vacuum leak. EGR issues seem to be one of the hardest issues for mechanics to diagnose, speaking from personal experience!
I might add a pic of my car once I style the exterior a bit :).

Discopolo
Lancer Learner
Lancer Learner

Postby Discopolo » Fri Nov 16, 2018 12:54 pm

I was at a red light this morning with the aircon on and the engine stalled when the aircon clicked on as it does every few seconds.

Discopolo
Lancer Learner
Lancer Learner

Postby Discopolo » Fri Nov 16, 2018 1:05 pm

Also the revs drop really quick as soon as I let go of the clutch and just drop to 0. Sometimes is bounces from 0 back to idle too.

Discopolo
Lancer Learner
Lancer Learner

Postby Discopolo » Fri Nov 16, 2018 1:22 pm

Another thing to add is that I've had a message pop up recently saying that ABS and ACS is off with "service required" but would turn off randomly. When this issue started happening it was on continuously but now it is gone?

Quismiff
Lancer Legend
Lancer Legend

Postby Quismiff » Fri Nov 16, 2018 3:18 pm

Get your air con checked too, I had a leaking one (not in this car) and when all the fluid finally ran out the car started stalling and it got to a point where it wouldn't start as the air con pump had seized...

My car an MY08 VRX does a "neat" little surge thing when I am in traffic but doesn't go as far as stalling. just lurches violently and then the revs pick up again, I'm giving the car a service this weekend so i'll take a look at all the things that burfadel mentioned and report back.

Hopefully it leads to help for you too Dicopolo....
2007 MY08 VR-X (cj-red)

I'm an eccentric smart-arse whose sarcasm has him perpetually in the s#@!.

Return to “ClubCJ Talk”