***** ALERT - Nominations for your new ClubCJ Committee can be made here *****

The Negativity of Evo/Ralliart Owners.

Everything Lancer Related + News & Current Affairs.

Moderators: Moderators, Senior Moderators

jerryme
Lancer VRX/GTS
Lancer VRX/GTS

Postby jerryme » Mon Mar 07, 2011 7:49 pm

I wave if i see modded CJ's but I don't usually expect anything back.

PYLee
Lancer MASTER
Lancer MASTER

Postby PYLee » Mon Mar 07, 2011 8:16 pm

arutha wrote:off topic for a second

@lee: whats the sotry with the cupcake as you avatar? it does look delic

just a random photo that i took which i think looks really good straight off the camera , it did taste quite delicious too haha was bored of my old car avatar and i don't have any new photos yet , waiting on tripod :)
Last edited by PYLee on Mon Mar 07, 2011 8:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lancer Evolution 10MR

zeroshift
Lancer Newbie
Lancer Newbie

Postby zeroshift » Mon Mar 07, 2011 8:17 pm

dannyboi wrote:Well we had two bogans on bicycles ride by yesterday at the NSW meet, and shout "If you want your car to look like an Evo, get an Evo"

If you drive a standard Lancer, then I would agree. I think you have the definition of bogan quite backwards.

ofey
Alumni
Alumni

Postby ofey » Mon Mar 07, 2011 9:08 pm

zeroshift wrote:If you drive a standard Lancer, then I would agree. I think you have the definition of bogan quite backwards.

I would have to disagree with the Lancer comment.

If no one modded their cars to look "modded", the "tuner" / after market would be dead and that's a pretty large industry.

How we mod our cars is determined alot by the availability of parts this industry provides for us. And often, these parts gleam ideas off the higher models such as the RA and Evos. Even if you look at kits that don't copy the Evo and RA, they all work on the same design mantra: flared arches, exaggerated intake grills, fins on the rear diffuser and vents on aftermarket hoods. The Evo X and RA mods are also in no way original, surely you've seen intake vents on hoods and black rear diffusers on other models.

Why do only Evos have the right to modify their cars and not the NA Lancers?

Not all of us can afford an Evo. How many people who buy their Evo's buy them outright as well? Technically, you don't own your car until you've paid it off completely. Well I paid upfront for my Olympic Ed. I could easily afford an Evo but I see no reason to live in debt. Financially, people need to be responsible for their purchases. I suspect many of those on this forum with Aspires, VRXs and RAs could easily afford Evos but being socially aware of what debt does perhaps makes some of us more financially responsible. I think I've told this story to some of you of one of my University Technician's who drives a R35 Skyline and has a Ducati but doesn't own his own place and lives in a rented room in a house. I digress though as this point on finances debatable but I think you need to consider financial prudence.

What we all have a desire to personalise our cars. We like "a look" and often, not all of us are bodykit designers and it costs a bomb to design and manufacture your own design, so one needs to buy what's available and often these aftermarket kits copy the "Evo look". So even if we don't want to copy, we do have no choice in our personalisation. But as I pointed out earlier, most things one does will then still point back to the fact that a modified lancer will look much like an Evo.

So I think much difference here between personalising one's ride and trying hard to making it look like an Evo.
Beeble tooned MY08 OEd. w/ RA BKit+SWheel
Cosworth Panel Filter w/ RA Intake | SuperCircuit 4-2-1 Headers | Creat’d Ti-tipped SS exhaust
BC BR-type Coilovers | UR + Whiteline Bars
EBC GreenStuff Pads | RDA Rotors

jerryme
Lancer VRX/GTS
Lancer VRX/GTS

Postby jerryme » Mon Mar 07, 2011 9:23 pm

ofey wrote:
zeroshift wrote:If you drive a standard Lancer, then I would agree. I think you have the definition of bogan quite backwards.

If no one modded their cars to look "modded", the "tuner" / after market would be dead and that's a pretty large industry.

How we mod our cars is determined alot by the availability of parts this industry provides for us. And often, these parts gleam ideas off the higher models such as the RA and Evos. Even if you look at kits that don't copy the Evo and RA, they all work on the same design mantra: flared arches, exaggerated intake grills, fins on the rear diffuser and vents on aftermarket hoods. The Evo X and RA mods are also in no way original, surely you've seen intake vents on hoods and black rear diffusers on other models.

Not all of us can afford an Evo. How many people who buy their Evo's buy them outright as well? Technically, you don't own your car until you've paid it off completely. Well I paid upfront for my Olympic Ed. I could easily afford an Evo but I see no reason to live in debt. Financially, people need to be responsible for their purchases. I suspect many of those on this forum with Aspires, VRXs and RAs could easily afford Evos but being socially aware of what debt does perhaps makes some of us more financially responsible. I think I've told this story to some of you of one of my University Technician's who drives a R35 Skyline and has a Ducati but doesn't own his own place and lives in a rented room in a house. I digress though as this point on finances debatable but I think you need to consider financial prudence.

What we all have a desire to personalise our cars. We like "a look" and often, not all of us are bodykit designers and it costs a bomb to design and manufacture your own design, so one needs to buy what's available and often these aftermarket kits copy the "Evo look". So even if we don't want to copy, we do have no choice in our personalisation. But as I pointed out earlier, most things one does will then still point back to the fact that a modified lancer will look much like an Evo.

So I think much difference here between personalising one's ride and trying hard to making it look like an Evo.

There are some great points you bring up.

zeroshift
Lancer Newbie
Lancer Newbie

Postby zeroshift » Mon Mar 07, 2011 10:11 pm

ofey wrote:

I think I should clarify my original comment. I see no problem with modding your standard Lancer (and I'm no different, because I plan on doing a couple of things) - but within reason. But the vast majority of people would agree that trying to turn it into an Evo makes you look like a massive tool.

At the end of the day, it's their money being pissed down the drain. They just shouldn't be surprised when people on the street shake their head or make snide comments after you turn it into some ludacris rice burner with a bright orange body kit that doesn't fit quite right, 8 exhaust pipes and 3 spoilers.

Gleno
Lancer Evolution
Lancer Evolution

Postby Gleno » Mon Mar 07, 2011 10:15 pm

I havent had any problems with other lancer owners in evo's etc giving me funny looks or being snobbish or whatever you call it.
When i was at the Gold Coast over xmas Mr.Evo spotted me and i spotted him and he commented on this forum how nice my car looked and likewise about his car.
No doubt there people out there with a ego or chip on there shoulder cause they think there car is better regardless of make and model there driving. I had someone in a mondeo turbo i think it was tonight wanting to race me off the lights not long ago,but i wasnt interested. I know there a faster car than mine and good luck to him.
I own a car to get me from A-B.

BR14AN
Lancer Ralliart
Lancer Ralliart

Postby BR14AN » Mon Mar 07, 2011 10:39 pm

This is my perception as it stands on this:

My first car was a '67 Valiant, I got waves from kids on the side of the road, their parents giving me a nod. I had Sunday drivers put their arms out of the windows and wave. At the lights I would get people roll down their window, commend me on the condition of the car and comment its nice to see a young bloke driving a classic etc etc etc

I had a Mitsu Verada after that, no one pays attention to those cars, I was very much under the radar.

Now in the Lancer I feel like I am stereotyped. Still being on my P's people dont let me in, guys in utes try and stare through the tint and give me a death stare. I even had a disgruntled idiot with his works name and contact number on the side of his ute LITERALLY try and run me off the road, good to know the boys in blue actually did something in this situation but thats another story. BUT! I have found a few lancer owners around my area which have been moded. I would give them a flash of my lights, they would wave back, no biggie its all awesome. Although in general I find the general public predicts my values and attitudes, and therefore my behaviour, due to the car I drive. The general consensus I receive is: Here is some boy racer, too young to have a car like that, stuff him.

I wont even touch on the other car I drive haha.

In summary, I guess the scene surrounding the lancers has a negative connotation to it inducing the actions we are seeing. All comes back to stereotyping. You might be someone who enjoys a good Japanese car and simply want to add your own special touch, but the guy in his Evo 6 see's his car as a real JDM product and does not want to associate his "greatness" with a wanna-be.

Sorry, this post was a bit long, just my 2c.

Gleno
Lancer Evolution
Lancer Evolution

Postby Gleno » Tue Mar 08, 2011 6:50 am

Good points you have there Brian.

LZY_EYE
Genius
Genius

Postby LZY_EYE » Tue Mar 08, 2011 7:11 am

zeroshift wrote:I think I should clarify my original comment. I see no problem with modding your standard Lancer (and I'm no different, because I plan on doing a couple of things) - but within reason. But the vast majority of people would agree that trying to turn it into an Evo makes you look like a massive tool.

At the end of the day, it's their money being pissed down the drain. They just shouldn't be surprised when people on the street shake their head or make snide comments after you turn it into some ludacris rice burner with a bright orange body kit that doesn't fit quite right, 8 exhaust pipes and 3 spoilers.

There is a very simple saying. "Each to their own"

It is all good and well for you to say you have no problem with people modding a standard Lancer within reason. But your definition of within reason will be different to someone elses.

I had an ES Lancer before my XR5. It was never meant to be modded. But I got the bug and went all out. I had an Evo wing and bonnet on it (Genuine mind you). Does that make me a ricer? Maybe. I modded my car to what I wanted, no one else. A lot of things I did, I didn't like and changed to something else.

The important thing is that I did what I did, because I wanted to. I was not out to impress anyone.

I have seen a couple of cars on here that I don't particularly like, or would have done differently. That doesn't give me the right to make snide, and rude gestures. This goes for everyone. Why should one expect rude gestures from someone whom I do not know because my tastes differ from them?

At the end of the day we all have a common interest and that is cars. I know myself that it doesn't really matter what car it is, I respect that someone has gone to a lot of effort to do what they love.

I just don't get the whole rivalry between supporters of different cars....

lukeaday
Club Sponsor
Club Sponsor

Postby lukeaday » Tue Mar 08, 2011 7:27 am

One thing I have noticed is that most ra and evox owners keep the appearance of their cars pretty standard and it's the na crew that enjoy the body styling scene the most. But it is us NA owners that get flogged off by knobs that think we are trying to hard.
I have had quite a few people comment on how sick my evo looks. Ya should see their faces when I tell them that its only an ES!
Ihave no intention on trying to make my car look an evo.
I sure could if I wanted to and if I did I would get a full evo body kit and a turbo 4b11 installed with all of the go fast bits

At the end of the day, we all enjoy our cars!
Official ClubCJ Sponsor.

bd-850
Alumni
Alumni

Postby bd-850 » Tue Mar 08, 2011 9:36 am

all i can see from this is that City people are stuck up.

granted there arnt any EVO's around here but i do pass the odd RA, and they generally way or give a flash of the lights and i do the same back.

PYLee
Lancer MASTER
Lancer MASTER

Postby PYLee » Tue Mar 08, 2011 10:42 am

bd-850 wrote:all i can see from this is that City people are stuck up.

that's quite harsh isn't it ? im sure it's not really about the car that this people drive , rather than it's just that some people are pricks no matter what car they drive. Of course , if they drive a bigger car than you , their ego will be even bigger , resulting in bigger pricks :)
Lancer Evolution 10MR

hasu12
Lancer VR/GT
Lancer VR/GT

Postby hasu12 » Tue Mar 08, 2011 12:33 pm

GlenoCJ wrote:I havent had any problems with other lancer owners in evo's etc giving me funny looks or being snobbish or whatever you call it.
When i was at the Gold Coast over xmas Mr.Evo spotted me and i spotted him and he commented on this forum how nice my car looked and likewise about his car.
No doubt there people out there with a ego or chip on there shoulder cause they think there car is better regardless of make and model there driving. I had someone in a mondeo turbo i think it was tonight wanting to race me off the lights not long ago,but i wasnt interested. I know there a faster car than mine and good luck to him.
I own a car to get me from A-B.

I think i find this problem when i use to have ES done up .. everyone wants to have a go just got sick of it : O ..ricer boys with their Ps are the worst :O

Gleno
Lancer Evolution
Lancer Evolution

Postby Gleno » Tue Mar 08, 2011 12:54 pm

I'm conservative when it comes to modifying my car. Except for the wheels, all my mods are oem that are on the accessories list on the
Mitsubishi website.

Return to “ClubCJ Talk”