***** ALERT - Nominations for your new ClubCJ Committee can be made here *****

My RA is a write off and claim is under review

Everything Lancer Related + News & Current Affairs.

Moderators: Moderators, Senior Moderators

kayman
Lancer ES/EX
Lancer ES/EX

Postby kayman » Wed Aug 25, 2010 9:48 am

Hey Mate, it takes a while for these things to get processed they are lots of accidents and not enough assessors almost all with backlogs.

if you have a rental car option with NRMA then call them up and ask for your rental car, if you dont then I defiantly wouldnt hassle the Arjan Motors as they are probably providing it to you for free out of good will (or maybe even adding it in the quote somehow) but the they dont have to supply you with one.

If you are stuck for a car go hire one for a few days yourself, since your deemed at fault it will come out of your pocket, if you werent at fault u could claim it back.

You can if you want hassle NRMA to ask for a update but I wouldnt pee off Arjan too much as you want him on your side and not to be annoyed by you.

to fix a rear bar and a wing on a evo 9 took 6 weeks and most of that time was sitting around for paperwork and processes to be completed, then parts to arrive, and the fixing and painting took just a few days.

If you want your car done right I would suggest not rushing it, have a chat to the guy here and there but dont push him as it might start to get rushed and you might not be happy with the outcome, sure you can send it back but thats just a bigger hassle, I guess it kinda comes down to what do you value more a good job or the car back.

Edit: wow long post sorry for rambling!

Superintendent Chalmers
Lancer Legend
Lancer Legend

Postby Superintendent Chalmers » Wed Aug 25, 2010 10:15 am

As others have said - You seem to think you are the only one with a crashed car in this country at the moment. There are thousands of crashes every day, and it can feel like there is only one person in the country that looks at all of them. Takes time mate, If they quoted you around October to get it fixed and given back to you, then that seems about right - paperwork can take 2-3 weeks in bad cases like this, and car will take 3-6 weeks to be beaten back into shape.

Any pics????

Dejan
INACTIVE Member Account

Postby Dejan » Wed Aug 25, 2010 10:28 am

Hi all,

Major update for you guys here.

I just got an urgent call from the owner of Arjan Motors, he said Mitsu sent someone out to inspect the car and it went as smoothly until the guy found out that there’s been damages to the ‘crank pulley’?? Not exactly sure what it is googled it and said its the bit that drives the wheels forward, so kind of like chassis?? Apparently, as soon as there is mechanical damages eg to the the engine component, they just write off the car as the only option??

However, the owner also said he has booked for NRMA guy to come out and double check and make sure this one will be a total loss.

So, here are my options now, i’ve been told that NRMA is likely to pay me cash which is $53000 as agreed on the policy instead of buyingme a new car with all mods fittered, one cos it is easier for them, and 2 because there are still finances owed on the car, which is around 23 grand and NRMA in this case would have to return the money back to finance company in the event of write off. IS this true? What if NRMA chooses to buy me a car instead, can i argue that i want cash instead??

Also, i have been told this process will as a result elongate for another 8 weeks, my friend’s friend had a total loss for his accord and it took NRMA around 10 weeks to finaslie every thin and to send the check out, what it be reasonable for me to go out there and harass NRMA now to speed up the process??

E.g. send the NRMA assessor out earlier sometime this week instead of next Monday, speed up the process somehow?? Would that work, cos i don’t wanna be sitting around without a car for another 10 wks!!!

Btw, the owner at Arjan said told me to just keep it to myself and not making too much noises out o this total loss thing as he wasn’t supposed to even tell me about it???

IF this was up to me, i’d be on the phone with NRMA straight away, and i have no problem whatsoever ringing my insurer to get the balls rolling ASAP, but just not sure if this is what i am supposed to be doing giving the situation.

Dejan
What goes around comes around.

aspir3
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby aspir3 » Wed Aug 25, 2010 10:48 am

53k wow. That should cover a new car and a few mods.

If you are going to replace your car with another RA I would be going to a Mitsubishi dealer and sign up for a new car pending a write off of the old one. Then ask them for a loan car until finances are settled.

Yes the old loan will have to be paid out and a new loan applied for with the new car. Your current car is calateral for the loan, so the loan must be paid. This is one reason why you pay more for insurance when there is finance on the car.

Yes pictures would be great.

Can you keep us in touch with what happens to the car if it is wrecked as members may be interested in some parts. I know some NA people lookng for RA front brakes.

jamie885
Lancer ES/EX
Lancer ES/EX

Postby jamie885 » Wed Aug 25, 2010 11:05 am

aspir3 wrote:53k wow. That should cover a new car and a few mods.

If you are going to replace your car with another RA I would be going to a Mitsubishi dealer and sign up for a new car pending a write off of the old one. Then ask them for a loan car until finances are settled.

Yes the old loan will have to be paid out and a new loan applied for with the new car. Your current car is calateral for the loan, so the loan must be paid. This is one reason why you pay more for insurance when there is finance on the car.

Yes pictures would be great.

Can you keep us in touch with what happens to the car if it is wrecked as members may be interested in some parts. I know some NA people lookng for RA front brakes.

Good idea theres parts i'd be interested in aswell.

$53k will get a new ralliart with what 8k left over

Dejan
INACTIVE Member Account

Postby Dejan » Wed Aug 25, 2010 12:24 pm

So should I be on the phone with NRMA now to ask them to get their acts together and get the balls off rolling asap as NRMA would just be content to sit there and let the claim drag out for as long as possible that way they wouldn’t have to pay anything till later?

Or should I just back off and let nature take on its own course, i’d rather be proactive about it and wanna make sure i’ve done all that i can to ensure things are about as speedy as it can get and not be regretful later on cos i can do more?

LZY_EYE
Genius
Genius

Postby LZY_EYE » Wed Aug 25, 2010 12:30 pm

Give it a while. See how they act and then call for an update.

Remember NRMA are the insurer, they know what they need to do.

After some time, if they have not given you a reasonable update, then call and politely ask for an update.

ofey
Alumni
Alumni

Postby ofey » Wed Aug 25, 2010 12:35 pm

1. You're not supposed to know the car is a write off... .
2. How much harassing do you think you can do to piss these guys off?

I think you're too emotionally charged about this. You want everything back to normal and its a priority for you. Bear in mind NRMA staff are only doing a job and have a procedure they have to work through.

Based on your friend's experience and what many people have said here, 4-10 weeks is within the ballpark of how long it'll take?

So You going to call them daily for the next 50days?

I actually would use guilt to force a response. I would shut up about it for about a week, then call them and ask where they're up to.

Doing it every few hours, "banging the table", will not bring you closer to a resolve. Actually it may piss NRMA off so much that they just chuck you to the back of the pile?
Beeble tooned MY08 OEd. w/ RA BKit+SWheel
Cosworth Panel Filter w/ RA Intake | SuperCircuit 4-2-1 Headers | Creat’d Ti-tipped SS exhaust
BC BR-type Coilovers | UR + Whiteline Bars
EBC GreenStuff Pads | RDA Rotors

bd-850
Alumni
Alumni

Postby bd-850 » Wed Aug 25, 2010 12:52 pm

it took my brothers SP23 a month to replace the front suspension, and a few other bits

shamrockshirts
Lancer Ralliart
Lancer Ralliart

Postby shamrockshirts » Wed Aug 25, 2010 3:31 pm

aspir3 wrote:
Yes the old loan will have to be paid out and a new loan applied for with the new car. Your current car is calateral for the loan, so the loan must be paid. .

I too thought this was the case too but when my car was written off 3 months ago with a very significant finance outstanding they simply changed the chassis number and car colour on the paper at the finance company end and continued the loan. Means I paid 1 year off the car and got a new car :D It actually was very easy and a seemless process.

However we asked for a direct replacement car to avoid the cash payout. If you go the cash option they WILL have to pay the finance out 1st.

P.S. the crank pully is on the end of crank (engine) and drives your drive belts and acts as a harmonic balancer. With this being damaged this means your engine has taken a significant hit and they are worried about internal unseen damage being done in the motor.

Bandit
Lancer Legend
Lancer Legend

Postby Bandit » Wed Aug 25, 2010 4:14 pm

My advice would be to consider that this is an "at fault" claim and keep under the radar as much as you can. You might need to stir them up every so often, but ever day is excessive given your position.

It would be different if you were not at fault and were being inconvenienced through someone else's actions.
ClubCJ's first Sportback

Dejan
INACTIVE Member Account

Postby Dejan » Thu Aug 26, 2010 3:30 pm

Hey,

Thanks so much for everyone’s suggestions and feedbacks.

Just wondering, here are a few other things popped up in my head:

1. Should i be rining up NRMA to cancel my insurance, cos hey my car is totalled, not confirmed by NRMA, but by my mechanics, and there’s no point if i’m still paying for insurance, my car is NOT insured anymore if that makes any sense at all. Or should I wait until NRMa finalise the whole thing and paid me out, i mean would they deduct the left over premium money from date of accident, or is that something i should be on the phone straight away and ask them to cancel the policy now?
2. My car loan is a little tricky, it was done with a broker with CBA and when i did it 2 years ago, i signed based on conditions that under NO CIRCUMSTANCES am I allowed to pay out the loan earlier than the 4 yrs period. So i don’t think NRMA is allowed to pay off the left overs, in that case will NRMA pay me the full agreed amount instead? Like i said it was a special car loan and I am supposed to pay back a certain amount on the same day of the month every month for 4 years so that CBA could suck out the maximum interest out of it.
3. I am looking to upgrade to an EVO Bathurst edition, if there is still any left in dealership, what’s everyone’s opinion on that?? I mean you get all the extra power and suspension package but still with factory warranty intact, just don’t know if they offer it in the MR version with Bi Xenon lights, leather Recaro and Sat Nav. If they do, does anyone know what is a good drive away price for that?? I don’t wanna spend more than 65 grand on the MY10 MR Bathurst Edition, how do you think i’ll go?

Dejan

billy boy
Lancer Evolution
Lancer Evolution

Postby billy boy » Thu Aug 26, 2010 3:57 pm

1. would 100% wait till it is completely sorted and in writing / cash is in your hand before undertaking anything like that
2. good question - sounds a bit suss though, but you'll need to contact your broker in relation to the car being written off with your particular contract
3. go for it - the bathurst edition is the perfect example of a lightly modded car with full factory warranty. the BE is about $8k on top of the normal price, a quick check on car sales show that a x with sst is going for around $65, so don't like your chances of a MR at that price - if you can find one, then gold
we are fascinated by that which can destroy us...

Clone
Lancer Newbie
Lancer Newbie

Postby Clone » Thu Aug 26, 2010 6:44 pm

I wasn't going to respond but sorry I cannot stop myself. Dejan please read the NRMA PDS before asking anymore questions. If you dont' know where it is then please click on the link below.

http://www.nrma.com.au/documents/policy ... cy-nsw.pdf

Everyone here in ClubCJ is trying to help you and that includes the guy at Arjan Motors and the NRMA. Please don't forget you were "AT FAULT" in this claim so please be patient.

If you cancel your policy now, I'm sure NRMA would be so happy as they don't have to pay you out anymore. The PDS stated if your car is total lost and they agree to pay you out based on the agreed value, the car wreckage, the rego and CTP (depending on the state) would also belongs to NRMA and you are required to pay the premium in full or they would deduct from the agreed value.

Mr Charisma
Lancer Evolution
Lancer Evolution

Postby Mr Charisma » Thu Aug 26, 2010 8:09 pm

Ok I guess I can clear some things up.

If you could cancel your policy now, NRMA would still have to fix your car as the event occurred during the insured period.. however....

You won't be able to cancel your insurance since your car is pending a write off and when they pay you out, you will not get a refund on the remainder of your policy. Your contract has been fulfilled by them paying you out so why should you get the pro rata amount?

Most insurers will pay out within 14 days once the claims has been finalised, get to the finalised stage is what takes time, especially since you are at fault.
Love that car!

Return to “ClubCJ Talk”