***** ALERT - Nominations for your new ClubCJ Committee can be made here *****

HID Lights (High Intensity Discharge) Discussion

HID's, Bulb's + LED Interior and Exterior Illumination.

Moderators: Moderators, Senior Moderators

TypeG
INACTIVE Member Account

Postby TypeG » Thu Jun 16, 2011 9:25 pm

Dont worry about the defective thing. I have pulled over quite a few times during my 8 years of usage with HID in reflector and projector headlight, I have never got defected because of my HID LOL. The cop dont even ask anything about my HID.... Also I have tried to get RWC for few of my cars with HID in =)
Just do it right... point it down to the ground after putting HID in.

coolwave911
Lancer Newbie
Lancer Newbie

Postby coolwave911 » Thu Jun 16, 2011 10:37 pm

Don't be too paranoid, the cops here are much better than in my home country LOL You get pulled over because your car is dirty =)) Now that's some ROAD LEGAL LAWs we are talking about.....

Been using HID for almost 2 years and I've drove past by, behind, hill runs, etc. encountering cops on countless occasions yet to have been pulled over because of the HID.

And oh, I have them on High beam too. I agree it's a bit slow to get to full brightness when flashing at other people but still they get the message that I'm flashing them so no problem anyway. However, I can clearly tell that it is much better than stock halogen on pitch black roads. Going fishing at 4AM - 5AM is a thing I do on a regular basis so these high beam HID is a must.....I can see much further down the road compared to my original halogens. Used to live in Tasmania and you know we have some great rural roads around hehe

Thanks God I got full HID on my car, it is now safer in my own opinion.

klvru
Lancer VR/GT
Lancer VR/GT

Postby klvru » Thu Sep 08, 2011 10:26 pm

Sorry to bump this thread,

I got the philip 4300k but I find it a little bit dimmed.

I'm planning to get either a 5000k or 6000k HID. How much bluer is the 6000? Still usable ? Besides that, what's the difference between a 50$ HID and a ~100$ one? Would 35W be bright enough or should I go for 55?

Lastly, I'm aware that I need to readjust the light. Should I aim it higher or lower so that I won't cause that much of glaring?

P.S my car is lowered if that makes a difference

Tarquin
Lancer Legend
Lancer Legend

Postby Tarquin » Thu Sep 08, 2011 11:28 pm

I'll bite - It's an old arguement for some, and a quick read of this thread from the start would show you - I will always voice against it though.

IMO, using HID in a housing designed for just a halogen lamp is just being inconsiderate to the other drivers on the road, and adds an extra, unnesssary risk toward your car. It will void any Insurance claim, and could be placed at fault in a night time accident. It is Illegal - whether you get booked or not by a random cops or at an RBT is a lucky dip, but I'd hate to go through a Qld. Transport check.

This is always a good read if you don't know the science - http://intellexual.net/hid.html
And this is from the UK - Illegal HID Convesion Kits Explained

5000K is white light - anything higher will give you a blue to purple - anything below it will be white to yellow

I've got 55W Halogen 5000K PIAA's in mine, and they are bright and white...
/Rant over
- CCJ Premium Member #0015.
Tarq's Paintshop

Dire
Post Monster
Post Monster

Postby Dire » Fri Sep 09, 2011 12:38 am

Why are you getting HID's if you're considering low powered kits?

aspir3
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby aspir3 » Fri Sep 09, 2011 3:42 pm

klvru wrote:Sorry to bump this thread, I got the philip 4300k but I find it a little bit dimmed. Im planning to get either a 5000k or 6000k HID. How much bluer is the 6000? Still usable ? Besides that, whats the difference between a 50$ HID and a ~100$ one? Would 35W be bright enough or should I go for 55? Lastly, Im aware that I need to readjust the light. Should I aim it higher or lower so that I wont cause that much of glaring? P.S my car is lowered if that makes a difference

Sorry Kelvin but HID's should not be fitted to normal Lancer headlights. Your vision should not be at the expense of other drivers on the road. If you fit them then you might as well adjust them up so they blind all other drivers constantly rather then every time you go over a bump or over a hill. Go the whole hog I say!

I have HID as standard in my Aspire and I can tell you that I only notice the extra clear light driving around the hills. No point having them in the suburbs.

jerryme
Lancer VRX/GTS
Lancer VRX/GTS

Postby jerryme » Fri Sep 09, 2011 5:31 pm

I've never been flashed with my HID's in. They are aligned properly and aren't in oncoming driver's eyes.

milobob
Lancer Legend
Lancer Legend

Postby milobob » Fri Sep 09, 2011 6:20 pm

The glare is caused by our reflector system which is for standard halogens.

I drive a lot of country, and the amount of idiots with HIDs really annoy me. It completely blinds you at night. Though I have to say I really can't be bothered flashing people as there are so many out there...
2010 RenaultSport Megane RS250 Cup Trophee (Xenons+Leather+Front Parkers)

Joel006
Lancer Newbie
Lancer Newbie

Postby Joel006 » Sun May 27, 2012 7:22 pm

Ok, Has anyone Questioned Mitsubishi or their local dealer about Replacement parts from a Outlander for example? or even a EVO?

I believe they have HID headlights.

My theory: If sold by manufacturer, They cannot be illegal..

Ill Ask my dealer this week. Also ill ask about Price.
Car: 2012 Mitsubishi Lancer Platinum Edition
Colour: White
Mods: (Nothing Really) K&N Air Filter, Dark Black Window Tint, White LED Strip behind Front grill
Upcoming Mods: Evo like Front Bumper

rayray
Lancer VRX/GTS
Lancer VRX/GTS

Postby rayray » Sun May 27, 2012 7:47 pm

Joel006 wrote:Ok, Has anyone Questioned Mitsubishi or their local dealer about Replacement parts from a Outlander for example? or even a EVO? I believe they have HID headlights. My theory: If sold by manufacturer, They cannot be illegal.. Ill Ask my dealer this week. Also ill ask about Price.

Yes the headlights in them are projector lenses but will still be illegal on NA Lancers if you dont have washers and auto leveling.

zedd82
Lancer Evolution
Lancer Evolution

Postby zedd82 » Sun May 27, 2012 9:35 pm

rayray wrote:[quote:87540be4ac=Joel006]Ok, Has anyone Questioned Mitsubishi or their local dealer about Replacement parts from a Outlander for example? or even a EVO? I believe they have HID headlights. My theory: If sold by manufacturer, They cannot be illegal.. Ill Ask my dealer this week. Also ill ask about Price.[/quote:87540be4ac] Yes the headlights in them are projector lenses but will still be illegal on NA Lancers if you dont have washers and auto leveling.

The projectors in the Evo aren't self leveling, there is no motor in them to level them but yes you still do need the washers either way
Club CJ's fastest and most powerful Ralliart 349.8kw/ 469hp atw 12.068s 187km/h

richo7502000
Lancer Newbie
Lancer Newbie

Postby richo7502000 » Mon Jun 04, 2012 2:31 pm

HID's to my understanding for ADR need to be able to change their level, OR be self levelling, and have washers..... (dont understand why washers, but anyway).

My MY12 Ralliart I am buying has them fitted from factory and I hope to have it by the weekend, so I will check if its auto levelling or manual.

HID's in standard reflectors certainly are illegal (not trying to re-start arguments), so are some light globes though!!! So to is it illegal to be running fog lights in normal weather but many people dont care about that either I guess! It is annoying with some of the lights on cars these days, I travel back 'country style' roads in the middle off the night constantly travelling to and from work, and some cars lights are just ridiculous how badly they blind ya and stop me from seeing for the next 10 minutes till your eyes stop bleeding
:shock:

AdamD
Lancer VRX/GTS
Lancer VRX/GTS

Postby AdamD » Mon Jun 04, 2012 2:41 pm

richo7502000 wrote:I travel back country style roads in the middle off the night constantly travelling to and from work, and some cars lights are just ridiculous how badly they blind ya and stop me from seeing for the next 10 minutes till your eyes stop bleeding :shock:

Me too, and sometimes its just from misaligned headlights!

domino_z
Lancer Learner
Lancer Learner

Postby domino_z » Sun Sep 30, 2012 9:37 pm

hi guys

having some issues setting the height of the hids on my evo x

the level was far too low from factory, only able to see 1-2 car lengths in front

i manually adjusted the height, but it seems to keep lowering itself back down again - no doubt the auto level doing it's thing

anyone got a work around for this?

tuanZo
Lancer Newbie
Lancer Newbie

Postby tuanZo » Fri Oct 05, 2012 5:09 pm

A lot of people are lucky out there to get away with hid but for me, I got pulled over last week not because of my hid but because they probably thought my car was full modded. Basically they tried to book me for speeding (they had no proof and was hoping I would say yes I did), they tried to say I didn't show my P( I did but the back fell off), they tried to say I placed my P in the wrong area( from what I discussed at vicroads ideally you should put it in the bottom left hand side only if you have room if not anywhere that's visible). Overall they couldn't find anything so they decided to defect my car because of the hid. The guy at the vicroads actually said that was stupid and a waste of time defecting that.
Enough about what happened to me, I guess getting hid is a gamble... you might bump into a cop having a bad day and decide to be a bitch or you might never. But look go for hid even if you get pulled over you won't get a fine just a defect.. well that's Victorian case anyway.

My plans now might just go for halogens ha..

Return to “Lighting”