***** ALERT - Nominations for your new ClubCJ Committee can be made here *****

HID Lights (High Intensity Discharge) Discussion

HID's, Bulb's + LED Interior and Exterior Illumination.

Moderators: Moderators, Senior Moderators

Graham
Post Monster
Post Monster

Postby Graham » Wed Jul 14, 2010 8:44 pm

Blakey wrote:BTW, if you have a head on accident, at night, and you(survive) are found with Illegal HID headlights, and no other factors have influenced the other driver, you will be at fault. even if he comes into your lane.

How would you prove the HID's caused an accident?

I'd like to add that HID's in standard reflectors are in no way ILLEGAL whatsoever, they are not designed for use in reflector headlights

Just because something doesn't meet an ADR guideline doesn't make it illegal.

Murdering someone is illegal.
Having wrong headlights is not illegal.

Prove me wrong with an official law document stating that they're illegal :)

Under the Road traffic code Regulation 186 it still isn't breaking that regulation because it clearly states

(1) A person shall not cause or permit a spot light or search light fitted or connected to any vehicle to be used to dazzle, or to be used in a manner likely to dazzle, another road user.

Obviously they are frowned upon, and could result in a yellow sticker if you're unlucky and the officer knows about HID's. But they are not illegal.
Four wheels move the body, two wheels move the soul.
ImageImage
Daily Driver: Yamaha R1
Weekend Warrior: BMW Z4 Roadster

Graham
Post Monster
Post Monster

Postby Graham » Wed Jul 14, 2010 9:21 pm

ImageImage

BR14AN
Lancer Ralliart
Lancer Ralliart

Postby BR14AN » Wed Jul 14, 2010 9:38 pm

Ive mentioned this in another post.
It was about 9pm during winter and i was following a cop down a steepish hill, i drove specifically to get my beams into his mirrors just to see if this would cause him to pull me over. No response, i overtook him later so he saw i was on my Ps and in a lancer and still nothing...
I run 6000k 35w

Blakey
Lancer MASTER
Lancer MASTER

Postby Blakey » Wed Jul 14, 2010 10:13 pm

Graham wrote:
Blakey wrote:BTW, if you have a head on accident, at night, and you(survive) are found with Illegal HID headlights, and no other factors have influenced the other driver, you will be at fault. even if he comes into your lane.

How would you prove the HID's caused an accident?

I'd like to add that HID's in standard reflectors are in no way ILLEGAL whatsoever, they are not designed for use in reflector headlights

Just because something doesn't meet an ADR guideline doesn't make it illegal.

Murdering someone is illegal.
Having wrong headlights is not illegal.

Prove me wrong with an official law document stating that they're illegal :)

Under the Road traffic code Regulation 186 it still isn't breaking that regulation because it clearly states

(1) A person shall not cause or permit a spot light or search light fitted or connected to any vehicle to be used to dazzle, or to be used in a manner likely to dazzle, another road user.

Obviously they are frowned upon, and could result in a yellow sticker if you're unlucky and the officer knows about HID's. But they are not illegal.

if they dont conform to ADR's then they are Illegal.

why are you saying they arn't?
and your insurance can also get voided if your vehicle is not ADR compliant.

and depending on your state, as it seems, is to whether its properly written in the road regulations, every other state refers to Dazzling lights, as dazzling lights(any light that is to cause dazzling), not spot lights like the WA, road regulations, and as it seems your road regulations are quite old also.

even that being said, they are not ADR compliant, and are still Illegal in EVERY state.

and Graham, just cause your states road regulations dont say it, doesn't make it not illegal.

there are so many thing that, can ruin your life and the life of others because of HID's in the wrong Housings.

You can be involve in an accident from a blinded driver(by your headlights) can be permanently injured, or worse killed. as well as the other driver you have blinded,

you can cause another driver to have an accident, leaving them permanently injured, or worse killed.

your insurance can be voided, so you can be made to pay off your car and the other cars costs.

you cause yourself eye fatigue from the bright foreground light, giving you slower reaction time, less Visibility, less far view, (less time to react)

Any colour Temp Above 5500K is a bluer colour cause again less visibility,( you have more red cones in your eye) you get eye fatigue causing sleepiness, and all around less awareness.

Do i really need to go on?

HID's In Halogen Reflector Housings, are ILLEGAL, and DANGEROUS.

Graham
Post Monster
Post Monster

Postby Graham » Wed Jul 14, 2010 10:24 pm

I understand the downsides and negative effects of HID to myself and other road users but I'm yet to find anything confirming that something that does not conform with an ADR is illegal. I'm aware that your car can be defected because of it but I do not believe it to be illegal unless it specifically states it printed on a government site.

I agree that they are dangerous, no arguments there though.

ImageImage

BR14AN
Lancer Ralliart
Lancer Ralliart

Postby BR14AN » Wed Jul 14, 2010 11:08 pm

Blakey,
I dont think its fair to chew out others for their HIDs and go on and on about legality, we get it.
If you are so concerned why put on the 3d eyelids which some would say inhibit the front indicator.
It also seems to me youve tinted your tailights?

Blakey wrote:and depending on your state, as it seems, is to whether its properly written in the road regulations, every other state refers to Dazzling lights, as dazzling lights(any light that is to cause dazzling), not spot lights like the WA, road regulations, and as it seems your road regulations are quite old also.

If you like we can discuss the 'dazzling' effects of your led tailights?

Blakey
Lancer MASTER
Lancer MASTER

Postby Blakey » Wed Jul 14, 2010 11:36 pm

BR14AN wrote:Blakey,
I dont think its fair to chew out others for their HIDs and go on and on about legality, we get it.
If you are so concerned why put on the 3d eyelids which some would say inhibit the front indicator.
It also seems to me youve tinted your tailights?

Blakey wrote:and depending on your state, as it seems, is to whether its properly written in the road regulations, every other state refers to Dazzling lights, as dazzling lights(any light that is to cause dazzling), not spot lights like the WA, road regulations, and as it seems your road regulations are quite old also.

If you like we can discuss the 'dazzling' effects of your led tailights?

Photoshop can do wonders..

and Brake lights are meant to be bright, as they show a car is braking and slowing down. and they arn't that dazzling, they do not cause glare, and the rest of my car is easily visible wile they are on.

as for the eyelids covering the indicator. they aren't dangerously blinding.
and the covered space is literally only a 1cm strip in the middle of the light. and makes the light no more less visible then it already is as its in the middle of the car.

buy all means its probably not Legal. but i accept that its not legal, but its not Dangerous like HID's (in the wrong housing).

it doesn't matter how you try to change the subject, but HID's in the wrong housings are Dangerous to you and every other driver around you.

The Discussion is on HID's, thats why i'm talking about HID's not the non dangerous mods on my car.

Please try to stay on topic.

but do if you like to start a thread on anything you think is dangerous, i will not stop you and will be happy to add input to your thread.

im trying to get more people aware that if they put HID's in there Halogen light Housings, they are a danger to themselves and others,

and as it seems not alot of people know the dangers and the legality of HID's, allot of users are blindly unaware of there dangerous antics.

draevon
Lancer Ralliart
Lancer Ralliart

Postby draevon » Thu Jul 15, 2010 7:32 am

I guess we all have to decide how far we bend the rules on our own cars yeah?

I have 35W 6000k HIDs in standard reflector housings. I have a pretty sharp cutoff line, although obviously not as sharp as with projectors. I spent some time after installing and adjusted them up based on where the cutoff line now was, which was higher than original.

I love the HIDs and find the white light much easier to look at when driving around dark streets. I have not had anyone flash their lights at me even once, and I've had them on for nearly a month and do a majority of my driving at night. I would expect that if they were dazzling people, at least one of the many thousands of people I've driven past would have taken the time to flash me about it. I've also followed a police car twice and been through two RBTs with no issues.

Personal experience - feel free to make your own decisions.
GReddy Spectrum Elite Exhaust - TEIN S.Tech Springs - Injen CAI- 3D Eyelids - Carbon Fiber Interior - Pivot Shift Light - Smoked LED Taillights - Carbonout & Debadge.

Graham
Post Monster
Post Monster

Postby Graham » Thu Jul 15, 2010 8:19 am

each to their own :)

Some like HID's and some don't
I like mine and will continue to use them in my car, if I do get a yellow sticker for them (or anything else) I'll simply remove them, take it over the pits and put them straight back in again :P

yet to find proof of HID's being against the law though ;)

ImageImage

jamie885
Lancer ES/EX
Lancer ES/EX

Postby jamie885 » Thu Jul 15, 2010 8:50 am

I had the phillips diamond vision headlights in the corolla for a few months, then found a set of HIDs for $50.

Threw them in, I seriously have no idea how I drove without them. Mine don't seem to blind anyone though they are noticably brighter.

However, my mate has a DC5 Integra and his blind everyone. It's all in the aiming of the headlight.

Im supprised the Lancer doesn't have projectors stock, my mrs 08 Corolla has them.

In general I think if your lights not blinding anyone your not going to get booked. This came from a Highway Patrol's mouth

jamie885
Lancer ES/EX
Lancer ES/EX

Postby jamie885 » Thu Jul 15, 2010 9:05 am

The below document was just sent to me via an officer.

http://uploading.com/files/84f4m8bm/Document.pdf

6.1.4.3 - 'light emitted does not cause discomfort to the driver directly or indirectly through the rear-view mirrors and/or other reflecting surfaces'

If it's aimed correctly it shouldn't blind other people.

Blakey
Lancer MASTER
Lancer MASTER

Postby Blakey » Thu Jul 15, 2010 9:30 am

jamie885 wrote:The below document was just sent to me via an officer.

6.1.4.3 - 'light emitted does not cause discomfort to the driver directly or indirectly through the rear-view mirrors and/or other reflecting surfaces'

for that to happen the headlights would have to be aimed at the lowest point they can go. if they had HID,s (in the wrong housing) in them.

and even then, they are still cauesing the indirect discomfort, other wise known as glare.

jamie885
Lancer ES/EX
Lancer ES/EX

Postby jamie885 » Thu Jul 15, 2010 10:17 am

Blakey wrote:
jamie885 wrote:The below document was just sent to me via an officer.

for that to happen the headlights would have to be aimed at the lowest point they can go. if they had HID,s (in the wrong housing) in them.

and even then, they are still cauesing the indirect discomfort, other wise known as glare.

Im more then happy to drive the corolla behind you and you can judge for yourself.

draevon
Lancer Ralliart
Lancer Ralliart

Postby draevon » Thu Jul 15, 2010 10:34 am

Jeez Blake ... you're basing that on stuff you've read, no doubt about a wide variety of different setups. I'm telling you straight. I bought HIDs, I put them in, I adjusted them up. They have a good solid cutoff line. I adjusted them to 80-90% of headlight height at 9 metres.

True story ... every reflector housing will handle the spread of HID light differently. In some cars it's most likely unuseable - different spread, too much scatter etc. I expect that especially in older cars with dome reflectors these would be horrible at aiming light. But there are a bunch of people here who have actually tried it in CJ Lancers and say it works well. I don't know how you can argue when you haven't tried it.

GReddy Spectrum Elite Exhaust - TEIN S.Tech Springs - Injen CAI- 3D Eyelids - Carbon Fiber Interior - Pivot Shift Light - Smoked LED Taillights - Carbonout & Debadge.

jamie885
Lancer ES/EX
Lancer ES/EX

Postby jamie885 » Thu Jul 15, 2010 10:51 am

On top of that i've also heard that they need to be auto levelling the mrs 08 corolla comes with HIDs from factory they arent auto leveling.
I've been flashed driving hers with projectors never been flashed in my car

Return to “Lighting”