***** ALERT - Nominations for your new ClubCJ Committee can be made here *****

HID Lights (High Intensity Discharge) Discussion

HID's, Bulb's + LED Interior and Exterior Illumination.

Moderators: Moderators, Senior Moderators

Graham
Post Monster
Post Monster

HID Lights (High Intensity Discharge) Discussion

Postby Graham » Thu Jul 08, 2010 7:48 pm

Please use this thread for general discussion of HID lighting.

As this is a fairly popular lighting 'modification' I believe it deserves its own topic for us to discuss the pros and cons of HIDs.

Please keep ranting out of topics asking questions about HIDs, Instead just post this topic link in that particular topic advising what this topic contains, for example legality issues or brightness/glare issues.

There is no need to 'hijack' other users threads with the negative discussion of HIDs.

This topic could even save a few new topics as it may answer questions if people read this before posting :)

Discuss! :D
Four wheels move the body, two wheels move the soul.
ImageImage
Daily Driver: Yamaha R1
Weekend Warrior: BMW Z4 Roadster

Envoke
Lancer VR/GT
Lancer VR/GT

Postby Envoke » Thu Jul 08, 2010 8:24 pm

Are HID's just a brighter version of car lights? Like the ridiculous 10,000k things out?

Im looking to get some phillips "bluevisions" soon or an equivalent 4000k bulb, hopefully they're nicer than stock :)
Red goes faster. MUCH faster.

Bandit
Lancer Legend
Lancer Legend

Postby Bandit » Thu Jul 08, 2010 9:05 pm

10,000K wouldn't be that bright at all - it would be very blue though!
ClubCJ's first Sportback

Blakey
Lancer MASTER
Lancer MASTER

Postby Blakey » Thu Jul 08, 2010 9:31 pm

Bandit wrote:10,000K wouldn't be that bright at all - it would be very blue though!

10,000 Kelvin Color temp will be very very dark blue almost purple, and will probably put out less light then a halogen. BUT it will still be glarey even tho its not as bright.

Graham
Post Monster
Post Monster

Postby Graham » Thu Jul 08, 2010 9:34 pm

higher kelvins doesn't always mean brighter light :P

I think the brightest HID would be 4300k?
I'm not sure on that one though, I'm using 6000k's at the moment.

ImageImage

Blakey
Lancer MASTER
Lancer MASTER

Postby Blakey » Thu Jul 08, 2010 10:07 pm

Graham wrote:higher kelvins doesn't always mean brighter light :P

I think the brightest HID would be 4300k?
I'm not sure on that one though, I'm using 6000k's at the moment.

Brightest HID should be the one with none to the least amount of phosphor on the inside of the bulb. brightest should be around the same as sunlight so a bit yellow light

milobob
Lancer Legend
Lancer Legend

Postby milobob » Thu Jul 08, 2010 10:17 pm

The Kelvin rating you see is the colour temperature rating. So far from my reading light with a slightly yellow tinge will give the best viewing range for human eyes (red receptors).

HIDs usually only come from 4300k onwards. With 4300k being the whitest, 6000k slightly bluish, 8000k blue, 10-12000k bluish- purple. Anything about 4500k, especially for halogens bulbs, you will lose luminal output (amount of llight) as they have to tint the bulb BLUE to make it bluish. This reduces the amount of RED/yellow light output from the bulb and hence as humans we can't see as much. This said, a HID produces 200-300% more light than a halogen so a 6000k HID is still much brighter than a normal 3400k (yellowish) halogen.

IT is said the cops will not stop you so long your bulbs are equal to or less than 6000k. This however, personally I think will change soon with the increasing number of people fitting HID kits - if and when the government decides to increase it revenue through other means (since the super mining tax is now gone.. jks :P)
2010 RenaultSport Megane RS250 Cup Trophee (Xenons+Leather+Front Parkers)

Envoke
Lancer VR/GT
Lancer VR/GT

Postby Envoke » Thu Jul 08, 2010 10:18 pm

Would you see much difference between stock and 4000k bulb? from in and out the car.
Red goes faster. MUCH faster.

milobob
Lancer Legend
Lancer Legend

Postby milobob » Thu Jul 08, 2010 10:32 pm

Hi Lukas,

I did a small comparo of aftermarket headlights here:

http://clubcj.net/viewtopic.php?t=5235

What you are looking at (the bluevisions or similar) are Halogen bulbs and not HID bulbs. These are 2 very different bulbs and hence the difference in output.

But really quickly, the bluevisions give (in my opinion) the same amount of light as the stock, but it is whiter so it will appear brighter. It looks great when you look at the headlights itself - gives a very white look. The light sprayed on the road however, is only slightly whiter than the stock. a BIG downside is that they will only last a year or two before they blow (3-4 times reduced lifespan).
2010 RenaultSport Megane RS250 Cup Trophee (Xenons+Leather+Front Parkers)

Graham
Post Monster
Post Monster

Postby Graham » Thu Jul 08, 2010 10:34 pm

Inside the car on a dark road with no street lights you'll probably be amazed to find how much more you can see compared to stock lights

Outside it'll be fairly glarey and may hurt your eyes if you stare at it

hills runs + hid = win :)

I've thought about HID's for my high beams but it's kind of pointless, but the extra light would be pretty fantastic lol

ImageImage

Tarquin
Lancer Legend
Lancer Legend

The HID Lighting Tutorial

Postby Tarquin » Thu Jul 08, 2010 10:37 pm

graham wrote:I've thought about HID's for my high beams but it's kind of pointless

Yeah, would take too long to strike and get up to full brightness....

Most of the OEM HID's have a shutter that flicks open for High Beam - The lamp doesn't actually output any more light or turn on a different bulb...

The HID Lighting Tutorial

This is always a good read to make sense over 6000K and some of the general principles and how they effect HID's.
- CCJ Premium Member #0015.
Tarq's Paintshop

draevon
Lancer Ralliart
Lancer Ralliart

Postby draevon » Fri Jul 09, 2010 9:36 am

Great idea for a thread Graham ... thought about this yesterday. I'm all for highlighting the legality issues of HIDs for new users, but it doesn't need to fill up every thread when someone has already made thei decision and just wants some advice on wiring.

With regards to HIDs for highbeams, I thought about this but actually decided against it. As well as lighting up dark roads, highbeams are useful if you ever need to flash your lights at an oncoming vehicle for any reason. With the warmup time of HIDs, although only a few seconds, this would pretty much eliminate your ability to flash your lights.
GReddy Spectrum Elite Exhaust - TEIN S.Tech Springs - Injen CAI- 3D Eyelids - Carbon Fiber Interior - Pivot Shift Light - Smoked LED Taillights - Carbonout & Debadge.

dtrial
Lancer Newbie
Lancer Newbie

Postby dtrial » Wed Jul 14, 2010 7:41 pm

Does anyone knows what is the maximum (if there is) legal temperature for HIDs for Western Australia?
I was thinking of getting 6000k ones (4300k was just too white and glary)
My friend mentioned that the maximum legal temperature for WA is 5000k?
but he was unsure of it too.
Any infos would be much appreciated!

Blakey
Lancer MASTER
Lancer MASTER

Postby Blakey » Wed Jul 14, 2010 8:01 pm

The Max legal HID colour temp in any state is none, unless its in a PROPER HID COMPLIANT PROJECTOR.

if its not in that which i doubt anyone here unless they own an aspire or a EVO MR. will have. HID's ARE Illegal IN Halogen Reflector Housings.

you are Endangering Other motorists, just so you can see a really bright foreground. which endangers you, as your eyes are less adjusted to the dark,(because of the really bright foreground) so your vision is lessened not enhanced.

So you wont be able to see the car coming right for you wiles hes being blinded by your headlights.

BTW, if you have a head on accident, at night, and you(survive) are found with Illegal HID headlights, and no other factors have influenced the other driver, you will be at fault. even if he comes into your lane.
IF YOUR NOT LIVING ON THE EDGE YOUR TAKING UP TOO MUCH ROOM

aspir3
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby aspir3 » Wed Jul 14, 2010 8:08 pm

Blakey wrote:The Max legal HID colour temp in any state is none, unless its in a PROPER HID COMPLIANT PROJECTOR.

if its not in that which i doubt anyone here unless they own an aspire or a EVO MR. will have. HID's ARE Illegal IN Halogen Reflector Housings.

you are Endangering Other motorists, just so you can see a really bright foreground. which endangers you, as your eyes are less adjusted to the dark,(because of the really bright foreground) so your vision is lessened not enhanced.

So you wont be able to see the car coming right for you wiles hes being blinded by your headlights.

BTW, if you have a head on accident, at night, and you(survive) are found with Illegal HID headlights, and no other factors have influenced the other driver, you will be at fault. even if he comes into your lane.

Well said.

I could not have said it any better.

Not worth doing it.

Return to “Lighting”