***** ALERT - Nominations for your new ClubCJ Committee can be made here *****

Best aftermarket DRL

HID's, Bulb's + LED Interior and Exterior Illumination.

Moderators: Moderators, Senior Moderators

coolwave911
Lancer Newbie
Lancer Newbie

Postby coolwave911 » Tue May 31, 2011 11:27 pm

draevon wrote:I wonder if that will affect the lifespan of your LEDs?

Not at all Tim. As a matter of fact it even increases the awareness of people driving on the road when they see your car during daylight. When you look straight at those LEDs which have been modulated they appeared to be normal but when you move your head or quickly do a head check just before you turn (I know some of us do it really quickly and maybe a bit carelessly :D) or the car is in motion, your eyes will automatically noticed the akwardness of the lights, it's like flickering but it's not really flickering at all!!! And this is how LED DRL lights are better recognised by drivers during the day than just keeping your headlights on (bloody scientists keep on inventing smart & good looking things :D). That's the principal of LED DRL lights on German cars like BMW & Audi, I just did a research. Knowing something new everyday :D

aspir3
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby aspir3 » Tue May 31, 2011 11:37 pm

Tim was asking whether making the led's flash whether they would last as long, not whether they would work better.

Not point making them dim if they continue to stop working.

coolwave911
Lancer Newbie
Lancer Newbie

Postby coolwave911 » Wed Jun 01, 2011 2:21 am

Well, based on what they said about LEDs being solid state and stuff I can say it is quite ok to trust that this method is safe. Or else why would those German car makers used it?

LEDs easily dies on high operating temp. & other electrical factors but not on how many times u switch them on & off. It's not like the case of the ballast for your HID kit.....

And Troy, I did answer it in the first part of my response :) I said "Not at all Tim"

Cheers

Flying Ace
Lancer Newbie
Lancer Newbie

Postby Flying Ace » Sat Jun 04, 2011 11:05 am

I've read back through the thread (some very interesting info!) but I just want to know, if I go on the net now, what are the best DRLs I could buy? I saw people's photos but little info about which ones they are and where to buy them. Thanks for any more info :)

coolwave911
Lancer Newbie
Lancer Newbie

Postby coolwave911 » Mon Jun 06, 2011 8:47 pm

Hi Ash, you can go on eBay then search for High power LED DRL. Choose the ones with 5W LEDs on each side. That is 10W in total. They are very good built quality and price is ok too. Mine was $120 less shipping. Now they're sale for $96. Seller is ve-lites.

I'll post a how-to for this specific DRL kit soon once I have free time.

Flying Ace wrote:I've read back through the thread (some very interesting info!) but I just want to know, if I go on the net now, what are the best DRLs I could buy? I saw people's photos but little info about which ones they are and where to buy them. Thanks for any more info :)

Flying Ace
Lancer Newbie
Lancer Newbie

Postby Flying Ace » Sun Jul 24, 2011 2:10 pm

Well I bit the bullet and bought a set of genuine Philips LED Daylight 8 DRLs off eBay for $190. 8 LEDs in each bar, which dim to half strength when the headlights come on. They're fantastic! Wiring them up was a breeze and they work perfectly :) I'll post up some pics later.

Gleno
Lancer Evolution
Lancer Evolution

Postby Gleno » Mon Sep 05, 2011 1:01 pm

Yeah was just looking at the Phillips ones on eBay and they look good. I would imagine a auto electrician can install as I'm not keen on doing it myself?? Or maybe concord customs.

Pascher
Lancer Newbie
Lancer Newbie

Postby Pascher » Fri Jun 29, 2012 11:21 am

Just an observation:

People have said in this thread that 'proper' DRL's must turn off with the headlights and I have read the Gov. Regulations on DRL's and have confirmed that, but when I've been driving at night here in WA.....I notice many cars that have DRL's as stock.....your Mercedes, Audis and various other new cars that are being produced with DRL's and they all seem to have their DRL's visible during the night when their headlights are on!!??

Are the owners, just switching the DRL's on themselves.....or more likely what I think is... that's how the DRL's are stock wired in the car. There are too many cases I have seen, for it just to be a coincidence.

Can anyone bring to light some info. on this, just out of interest? (as obviously I don't have an Audi or Mercedes to confirm...)

Dire
Post Monster
Post Monster

Postby Dire » Fri Jun 29, 2012 11:40 am

I imagine it is one of those things where, because they're like that from factory, the rules don't apply. Same as the privacy glass some lancers have is darker than the darkest legal tint but isn't illegal because it comes like that.

OldEmmGee
Lancer Newbie
Lancer Newbie

Postby OldEmmGee » Thu Dec 19, 2013 8:36 am

The rules apply to everyone the same - don't you worry.

I see there is a little misinformation around....

1. DRL's are intended to be seen when the main vehicle lights are off. When the lights come on, the DRL's must go off.
2. If you design the DRL's to have an additional 'Position Lamp' function, these are what appear to be 'DIM' when the lights are ON.

NOTE - the field of view and light intensity of DRL's and position Lamps are different, so don't assume you can simply dim your DRL's and be legal. You will see some vehicles (usually European, I notice) where the DRL's are turned off and do not have a dim function (because the light pattern is not suitable).

If you do fit DRL's which have the dimmer Position Lamp function, you should remove your existing position lamps as the ADR requires you to only have two forward position lamps.....

Cheers,
Doug

Return to “Lighting”