***** ALERT - Nominations for your new ClubCJ Committee can be made here *****

Best aftermarket DRL

HID's, Bulb's + LED Interior and Exterior Illumination.

Moderators: Moderators, Senior Moderators

Bandit
Lancer Legend
Lancer Legend

Postby Bandit » Fri Jul 16, 2010 2:49 pm

Ok I have ordered mine now from Germany - should be here in week or so.... $165 delivered, fully ECE 87 compliant with E mark and 'RL' stamping, so if fitted correctly will also be ADR compliant.

I was hoping we wouldn't have to take the bumper off??? Is that so you can get the wiring and module through okay? I was hoping that we could mount the lights by just removing the fog light shroud and the other black bits...
ClubCJ's first Sportback

billyboy
Lancer Evolution
Lancer Evolution

Postby billyboy » Fri Jul 16, 2010 9:14 pm

Well I plan on fitting mine tomorrow.

Main reason I'm deciding to take the bar off is so I can leave the plastic shrouds in place & adjust how far forward / back the new lights need to sit flush with them behind the bumper.

The RA covers are a bit of a bitch to remove, bumper wont take long to remove, easily done in 10 mins.

I'll take some install pics, hope it goes smoothly.

Bandit
Lancer Legend
Lancer Legend

Postby Bandit » Fri Jul 16, 2010 9:29 pm

Can't wait to see them....
ClubCJ's first Sportback

billyboy
Lancer Evolution
Lancer Evolution

Postby billyboy » Sat Jul 17, 2010 4:04 pm

Just finished up & I'm bushed! took me most part of the day.

Had to make sure everything measured up right & sat flush.

Used the oem foggy u bracket as a base & made up some brackets from sheetmetal pieces & some spacers using few nuts & washers.

Didnt get round to taking some pics in the sun, hopefully find some time tomorrow. All up happy with the result!

ImageImageImage
ImageImageImage

Bandit
Lancer Legend
Lancer Legend

Postby Bandit » Sat Jul 17, 2010 5:32 pm

Wow! They look absolutely spot on! I bet you're chuffed.... - no I am counting down the days until mine come..... They're on their way over via DHL as I type this.

billyboy, you said it only takes 10 min to take the bumper off!? If that's the case, then I hope to get mine done in a day too!!.... thanks for the pictures....
ClubCJ's first Sportback

billyboy
Lancer Evolution
Lancer Evolution

Postby billyboy » Sun Jul 18, 2010 1:10 pm

Got some daylight pics!

ImageImageImage

Yeah mate, only takes approx 10-15 mins to take the bumper off, trickiest part is popping it out off the wing clips.

Mine took just over 2 weeks to get here from Germany, went by DHL but Aust Post delivered to my door.

Blakey
Lancer MASTER
Lancer MASTER

Postby Blakey » Sun Jul 18, 2010 3:44 pm

gonna be funny if cops, book you for having foglights on tho.

and they done overly look that bright in the daytime.

Bandit
Lancer Legend
Lancer Legend

Postby Bandit » Sun Jul 18, 2010 6:32 pm

They aren't foglights though.... so why would the Police book us for that?

I have the install isntructions and ADRs in my car in case I ever get stopped and I will do that in the Lancer too so I can prove they arent fogs. I have been opposite the lights from a highway patrol and been past 3 other Police cars that could have stopped me if they wanted to and they havent. I have checked with my brother who's in the NSW POlice and he said they wouldnt bother, in fact he helped me install the ones on my commodore!

And the camreas never do justice to how bright they are during the day - see a couple of pages back how disappointed I was with what the camera did to them in my pics.
ClubCJ's first Sportback

Blakey
Lancer MASTER
Lancer MASTER

Postby Blakey » Sun Jul 18, 2010 8:14 pm

Bandit wrote:They aren't foglights though.... so why would the Police book us for that?

I have the install isntructions and ADRs in my car in case I ever get stopped and I will do that in the Lancer too so I can prove they arent fogs. I have been opposite the lights from a highway patrol and been past 3 other Police cars that could have stopped me if they wanted to and they havent. I have checked with my brother who's in the NSW POlice and he said they wouldnt bother, in fact he helped me install the ones on my commodore!

And the camreas never do justice to how bright they are during the day - see a couple of pages back how disappointed I was with what the camera did to them in my pics.

yer but they look like fog lights, and are in the fog light spot. a cop wont care about the difference.

and you are right they wont care, as its a pointless fine anyway $100 for like 20-30min of paperwork. why would a cop want to do that.

most cops are pretty lax when it comes to still laws. iv driven behind a cop for a wile he went past, 2 pushbikers without helmets, and 4 cars with fog lights on, all fine worthy.

it comes down to whether the cops thinks the time he has to put into it is worth it.

Bandit
Lancer Legend
Lancer Legend

Postby Bandit » Sun Jul 18, 2010 8:22 pm

they are much brighter than fogs and dont come on with the headlights. Aside from the fact that are in the fog location (on the lancer) that is the only similarity.
ClubCJ's first Sportback

Bandit
Lancer Legend
Lancer Legend

Postby Bandit » Mon Jul 26, 2010 9:34 am

My kit arrived on Friday - I think they are about the same as the ones you have billy boy. Mine have SiJ Auto on the lense, along with the required ECE notifications. SiJ is the same type that are on my Commodore so that's a good thing.

Although I am a bit miffed - it hasn't come with the magic "black box" like in the bottom of your photo here:

Instead it has come with what appears to be a relay, with a read and black wire to go to the battery and an orange wire that the diagram says should go to the "start switch"???? In my other set, it came with a black box like in the above picture, which also had an orange wire, but I put that to the park light so the black box knew when to turn the DRL off.

Any ideas??
ClubCJ's first Sportback

billyboy
Lancer Evolution
Lancer Evolution

Postby billyboy » Mon Jul 26, 2010 6:29 pm

My set has SiJ Auto on the lenses as well, I'd say you need to connect the orange wire to the parker/low beam.

Maybe just hook up 12V to the red / black to see if they turn on firstly, then guess the orange will be the cut out circuit.

Not a expert on relays, but I think my little black box does the same job.

Bandit
Lancer Legend
Lancer Legend

Postby Bandit » Tue Jul 27, 2010 8:06 am

I am wondering how the lights will know to turn off once ignition is off if they are constantly connected to the battery?
ClubCJ's first Sportback

Blakey
Lancer MASTER
Lancer MASTER

Postby Blakey » Tue Jul 27, 2010 8:14 am

as you say you got a relay, i would presume the red and black are the coil wires and the orange is the switched single contact, that it proably fed from the red cable.

i would presume if its just for turning on then it will be a N/O normally Open contact.

when the coil, the red and black is energized it will send power down the orange cable.

if you want it to come on whenever you turn on it seems to be that you will need to have a switch inbetween the battery and either the red or the black lead, and the orange lead goes to the turnon of the DRL.

it seems if you want it to be proaperly set up you may need another relay, with a normally closed N/C contact, so when your headlights turn on its energizes another coil, opening the N/C contact and turning off the DRL's.

i can draw you a circuit if you need be.
IF YOUR NOT LIVING ON THE EDGE YOUR TAKING UP TOO MUCH ROOM

Bandit
Lancer Legend
Lancer Legend

Postby Bandit » Wed Jul 28, 2010 4:27 pm

Hi Blakey - yes if you could that would be good. I would hope I dont need to get a 2nd relay, although it wouldnt be hard to get one from Jaycar down the road.
ClubCJ's first Sportback

Return to “Lighting”