***** ALERT - Nominations for your new ClubCJ Committee can be made here *****

Best aftermarket DRL

HID's, Bulb's + LED Interior and Exterior Illumination.

Moderators: Moderators, Senior Moderators

pharmerben
INACTIVE Member Account

Best aftermarket DRL

Postby pharmerben » Tue Mar 09, 2010 9:43 pm

I've been trying to look around on the internet for the brightest DRL kit available. The ones that I have found are:

1. http://www.oznium.com/side-emitting-led-strip

2. http://store.ijdmtoy.com/Hella-Style-LE ... _sku78.htm

I would want something as bright as the Audi R8 b/c they can be seen in bright daylight.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Deano1964
Lancer Evolution
Lancer Evolution

Postby Deano1964 » Tue Mar 09, 2010 11:10 pm

Both Myself and my brother (ANDROS) have DRL's.

Both of us used side emitting LED's from Oznium.
Can definitely see them during the day.
If u want more photos, let me know :)

http://clubcj.net/viewtopic.php?t=3933&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

http://clubcj.net/viewtopic.php?t=4285

Bandit
Lancer Legend
Lancer Legend

Postby Bandit » Wed Mar 10, 2010 8:25 am

I have been reseraching DRLs for a while - to fit them to both my Lancer and Commodore.

The best DRLs bar none are made by Hella (who also make the lights for Audi). They are ADR compliant.

If you are serious about getting DRLs for visibility, you need something that complies with ADR 76/00, which requires DRL light output between 400 and 800candela. Studies have shown that the optimum output is 1200cd, however, the policy in Australia is behind the times. To qualify properly as DRLs, the lights have to turn off when the headlights are switched on at night.

If you are going to install the lights, you need to make sure they are at lesast 600 mm apart and at least 250mm from the ground.

http://db.hella.com.au/container.html

Check part nos. 5608, 5607 and 5610. You can't beat them. They cost a bomb though - the cheapest I found 5607 for was $370, 5608 was $430. But if you want DRLs to a. be safe and serve their purpose and b. look good - you need to do it properly.

In Europe, Hella has just released a product called LEDay Flex (http://www.tagfahrlicht.com/index_de.html) - the link is in German, but you get the idea. They are selling for about 200 euros a set at the moment, not including postage. I have contacted Hella Australia and at the moment they have no intention of bringing them here.

I like what Deano and Andros have done, but they aren't DRLs. They look good but do not really aid in increasing the car's visiblity. True DRLs are more visible during the day than low beam headlights. Low beam headlights are visible about 100 metres away during day time. DRLS aimed correctly and installed at the right level are visible up to 170 metres (@ 800cd).

I have also found a manufacturer in China who produces imitation Hella LEDayLine DRLs. They are Euro E marked (E4) so would be ADR compliant. I have sent them a couple of emails over the last couple of weeks and although they are really a wholesaler, they said they can send me some over. They are about $80US + $45US for freight per set! Check http://www.oulondun.com/DRLS.asp?id_code=0007&gclid=CJTYnNblrKACFYYvpAodbyCnag. Check product No. H005, these are the oens I would be interested in. I am pretty sure that the ones listed on the JDM toy website for which pharmerben pvodied the link are the ones made by Oulundun.

DRLs are the way of the future! They are becoming mandatory in Europe from 2011. Audi's research has concluded that their LED DRLs have saved something like 10 million litres of fuel in the last 5 years ebcause of their low current draw and less stress on the car's alternator.

So yeah, you can probably tell I like DRLs, just got to find the right ones and at a good price and I will be putting them on for sure!
ClubCJ's first Sportback

draevon
Lancer Ralliart
Lancer Ralliart

Postby draevon » Wed Mar 10, 2010 9:52 am

Damn those Hella ones (and the imitations) look awesome ... If I didn't have fog lamps I'd probably have bought some right now. LEDayFlex look cool too.
GReddy Spectrum Elite Exhaust - TEIN S.Tech Springs - Injen CAI- 3D Eyelids - Carbon Fiber Interior - Pivot Shift Light - Smoked LED Taillights - Carbonout & Debadge.

billyboy
Lancer Evolution
Lancer Evolution

Postby billyboy » Wed Mar 10, 2010 12:15 pm

Nice write up & info there bandit. :wink:

I'm a fan as well, I've seen ones like the H005 on ebay for around US 10$ but are deep for my liking.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2-X-Car- ... 1374971588

I havent decided where a good spot to put them so they dont stick out too much at top of fog lights. What are your plans for placement?

Can tell you how many times drivers have nearly swerved into me, then they tell me 'like i didnt see you there maan!' :x I'm 1st to turn my lights on these days if its overcast.

Bandit
Lancer Legend
Lancer Legend

Postby Bandit » Wed Mar 10, 2010 1:09 pm

The LEDayLine and the imitations are quite deep yes - plus they curve a bit and I am nt sure if the curve would match the bumper bar properly. The option for those is to cut them into the bumper as in this picture above the foglights (not sure about the Lancer if it would fit though - it would work for my VX Commodore though!).

The other option is the round Hella DRLs, which I think could fit nicely next to the existing fog light on the Lancer (maybe not on Ralliart though :(). They'd be about the same size too and would look good if they were flush mounted with the existing grille.

the LEDayFlex are the ultimate - you can just drill a hole for each and put them on top of the existing fog light, and warp them around or do whatever you want.

To get the lights 600mm apart as required takes some thinking. That's why I haven't done it yet and, yeah need some $$ behind me to get both cars done. I reckon they are worth it though. Cars I see with them look great.
Last edited by Bandit on Wed Mar 10, 2010 1:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ClubCJ's first Sportback

draevon
Lancer Ralliart
Lancer Ralliart

Postby draevon » Wed Mar 10, 2010 1:09 pm

I just bought some cheapish ones to play around with ... will post up my progress after they arrive.

GReddy Spectrum Elite Exhaust - TEIN S.Tech Springs - Injen CAI- 3D Eyelids - Carbon Fiber Interior - Pivot Shift Light - Smoked LED Taillights - Carbonout & Debadge.

Bandit
Lancer Legend
Lancer Legend

Postby Bandit » Wed Mar 10, 2010 1:28 pm

Please do draevon! I am keen to see all DRLs...

At the moment, the Hella 5607 is the one I can see as being most practical for both Lancer and Commodore. They are only 3 LEDs but still have the appropriate output to qualify as being ADR compliant. They would fit neatly next to the existing fog light. I will just need to drill or dremel the fog light grille housing to allow for the DRL to poke through and sit flush.

ClubCJ's first Sportback

pharmerben
INACTIVE Member Account

Postby pharmerben » Thu Mar 11, 2010 9:18 am

Awesome thanks man. +1

pharmerben
INACTIVE Member Account

Postby pharmerben » Thu Mar 11, 2010 9:20 am

Interest in DRLs seem high. Do you guys think we should ask Ofey to arrange a Group Buy once we figure out which model to use and its placement?

Bandit
Lancer Legend
Lancer Legend

Postby Bandit » Thu Mar 11, 2010 9:40 am

I would be interested yeah, but not sure how it would all work. Everyone would need to agree on a type and the price for good ones is relatively high.
ClubCJ's first Sportback

draevon
Lancer Ralliart
Lancer Ralliart

Postby draevon » Thu Mar 11, 2010 9:59 am

So what are the regulations for DRLs? 600mm apart, 250mm from the ground. Must automatically turn off when the headlights switch on. anything else? I'm working out my wiring plans now :)

SIR-VRX
Genius
Genius

Postby SIR-VRX » Thu Mar 11, 2010 10:26 am

Technically must switch off with the handbrake engaged.

However, to get passed most of the regulations, you can just wire them to your parkers and they then become auxiliary parking lights.

draevon
Lancer Ralliart
Lancer Ralliart

Postby draevon » Thu Mar 11, 2010 10:58 am

Hey Adrian,

So you figure there's no issues with having them still on with the headlights on? I'd just worry about getting pinned by a cop classing them as fog lights.

SIR-VRX
Genius
Genius

Postby SIR-VRX » Thu Mar 11, 2010 11:05 am

Nope, as they will either be classed as DRLs or parking lights.

However, sine the car was not homologated with them, it is up to the police officer or transport officer's discretion whether or not you will be defected. But it can be cleared easily as there is no legal standing for them.

Return to “Lighting”