***** ALERT - Nominations for your new ClubCJ Committee can be made here *****

HID's Installed

HID's, Bulb's + LED Interior and Exterior Illumination.

Moderators: Moderators, Senior Moderators

SIR-VRX
Genius
Genius

Postby SIR-VRX » Thu Sep 17, 2009 9:37 pm

deano1964 wrote:
Also, Fog lights are another thing that get me peeved off. I have only used mine 3 or 4 times, in foggy conditions like they are meant to be used. ANDROS, the newer cars are not actually "driving lights" as 'driving lights" must only come on with the high beams, as per the ADR. So they are fog lights. Whether or not the optics in the fog lights are designed for this purpose is another matter. Compare the output and beam pattern of a European or Japanese car's fog light to that of a Commodore/Falcon and you'll soon see which ones were designed for vanity over function.

Well actually.....What makes a fog light is the fog pattern. Inside a fog light is a small light diffuser that spreads the light out sideways and reduces the distance. Many cars have lights that shoot straight forward and are basically another set of lights (just like headlights) on the car but at a lower level.

I know what makes a fog light a fog light. BUT what I was saying is the manufacturers wire them up as and call them fog lights, regardless of the type of lens etc. Hence my comment comparing European lights and Commdores.

Back on topic. Note I was not the one who sent this thread off topic to start with...

drake89
Lancer VRX/GTS
Lancer VRX/GTS

Postby drake89 » Fri Sep 18, 2009 4:42 pm

from 12 October 2009 its illegal to use fog lights in clear weather. If you drive with fog lights on in clear weather you risk being fined A$40.

SIR-VRX
Genius
Genius

Postby SIR-VRX » Fri Sep 18, 2009 4:47 pm

drake89 wrote:from 12 October 2009 its illegal to use fog lights in clear weather. If you drive with fog lights on in clear weather you risk being fined A$40.

It's been law for years. Just never policed.

Australian Road Rules wrote:The driver of a vehicle fitted with front fog lights or rear fog
lights must not operate the fog light unless the driver is driving in fog or other hazardous weather conditions causing reduced visibility.

Offence provision.

drake89
Lancer VRX/GTS
Lancer VRX/GTS

Postby drake89 » Fri Sep 18, 2009 5:07 pm

negitive... it was only ever illegal for REAR fog lights and never policed. it was never illeagal for front to be used up until the 12 of oct 2009.

its an amendment in queensland transport legislation starting 12/08/09

http://www.transport.qld.gov.au/resources/file/eb74670b62f0269/Pdf_qld_road_rules_11_sept_09.pdf

Page 2
Last edited by drake89 on Fri Sep 18, 2009 5:12 pm, edited 2 times in total.

SIR-VRX
Genius
Genius

Postby SIR-VRX » Fri Sep 18, 2009 5:11 pm

drake89 wrote:negitive... it was only ever illegal for REAR fog lights and never policed. it was never illeagal for front to be used up until the 12 of oct 2009

It has been for front and rears. For years. Believe me lol

Read for yourself:

Link to PDF

drake89
Lancer VRX/GTS
Lancer VRX/GTS

Postby drake89 » Fri Sep 18, 2009 5:18 pm

lol... it does state it in yours. QLD is only changing it now. lol little laggy. haha

SIR-VRX
Genius
Genius

Postby SIR-VRX » Fri Sep 18, 2009 5:20 pm

That is the Australian Road Rules. They are in addition to the State Rules, hence still illegal. QLD is simply adding it as an offence to their rules, to save on paperwork.

ANDROS
Lancer Legend
Lancer Legend

Postby ANDROS » Sat Sep 19, 2009 12:14 am

for all the haters out there!

ImageImage

drake89
Lancer VRX/GTS
Lancer VRX/GTS

Postby drake89 » Sat Sep 19, 2009 12:47 am

they dont seem too bad at all. ill have to check mine out when i get them. should be soon its beet 2 weeks since my order. =\

drake89
Lancer VRX/GTS
Lancer VRX/GTS

Postby drake89 » Wed Sep 30, 2009 6:52 pm

recived mine yesterday. installed lastnight. they not too bright at all!

Blakey
Lancer MASTER
Lancer MASTER

Postby Blakey » Wed Sep 30, 2009 7:05 pm

as per ADR all HID's are illegal Unless... see below

i got this from the Department of Transport and Main Roads.in an email

Major components required for ADR-77 are; As you would be aware, vehicle manufacturers are now fitting High Intensity Discharge (HID) bulbs to vehicles from factory. It is also possible to fit these assemblies to vehicles aftermarket, as long as the Australian Design Rule (ADR) requirements for HID lights are met. These requirements are:installation of headlight leveling deviceinstallation of a headlight washer systemstandard requirements for the performance of headlights are still met (distance of illumination, dip to the left, project a white light etc) There is no modification approval needed to perform this replacement, however compliance to the full requirements of headlights (as mentioned above) must be met.

SIR-VRX
Genius
Genius

Postby SIR-VRX » Wed Sep 30, 2009 7:17 pm

The optical characteristics of the standard headlight is not suitable for HIDs. It is designed for halogen light sources only.

The only legal way to do it is with HID specific projector headlights, either retro-fitted oo OEM and then the installation of washers and the auto0-levelers.

ANDROS
Lancer Legend
Lancer Legend

Postby ANDROS » Wed Sep 30, 2009 7:31 pm

obviously since we have installed them we are aware of the legal implications.... and guess what... WE DONT CARE!

Stop complaining, you have said it enough times! this is a thread showing the final product.. if you want to complain about HID's make your own thread!

SIR-VRX
Genius
Genius

Postby SIR-VRX » Wed Sep 30, 2009 8:03 pm

I'm not complaining nor reminding you about the legal side of it. I was adding to Blakey's comments.

drake89
Lancer VRX/GTS
Lancer VRX/GTS

Postby drake89 » Wed Sep 30, 2009 8:08 pm

thanks adrian. =)

Return to “Lighting”