***** ALERT - Nominations for your new ClubCJ Committee can be made here *****

Brighter headlights and reversing lights questions

HID's, Bulb's + LED Interior and Exterior Illumination.

Moderators: Moderators, Senior Moderators

V8Bathurst888
Lancer Learner
Lancer Learner

Brighter headlights and reversing lights questions

Postby V8Bathurst888 » Sun Feb 04, 2018 10:02 pm

Gday All, hope you are all having a good one.

Currently on my Lancer, I find the headlights to be dull and reversing at night I find near impossible with the current reversing lights. My main priority is to make them brighter for increased visibility, however if they also look better then that would be an added bonus. I do a lot of night time driving in unlit areas, where traffic levels are still high enough that high beams are rarely used. I have been doing a lot of reading on club CJ, alongside RACQ website, TMR website
and other various sources that I could find. However, the more I read the more questions I get.

The initial plan was to put a set of LED bulbs into the car, front and rear. So far i have found no ADR compliant headlights which rules that out, however reversing lights appear to be acceptable. I was only planning on replacing the bulbs, but would replacing the unit with something like this become LED legal? Is there a visible difference with lights like these, would they be brighter?
http://www.ctautoparts.com.au/3d-neon-l ... ion-x.html

HID's aren't an option either, unless there are factory headlight housing for them. Otherwise HID conversions aren't legal.

That leaves the halogen as the only option that I can see being legal. I would be looking at something like these: http://www.supercheapauto.com.au/Produc ... om=1021668 . Is their performance worth the $80 price tag? Or is it just worth keeping the stock bulbs in.

I also found these referenced on the forums. https://thegadgetsnob.com/products/flow ... ent=Ad%201
Are these acceptable to run inside the headlight assembly? I also assume non-compliant, even if used only for style.

The next question is related to the bulbs themselves. Unlike many other cars where there are parkers and one headlight bulb, the lancer has a separate low and high beam, with lows pointing down and highs up more. Would I have to replace both low and highs? or is there a way to have it done through the one bulb similar to many other cars.

Any other suggestions and thoughts are welcome, and sorry for the long post.

Thanks
V8Bathurst888
2010 Lancer Activ 5 speed manual, nicknamed "Lucy"

lancerdarryl
Lancer MASTER
Lancer MASTER

Re: Brighter headlights and reversing lights questions

Postby lancerdarryl » Mon Feb 05, 2018 5:18 pm

Easiest and legal solution is to replace the 4 headlight globes is with a good brand ( Phillips for example) of higher rated halogen globes (+30).LED and HID globes in standard reflectors do not work well and in some cases give you a worse light pattern than halogen globes.I haven't seen any of the after market headlights that give you a better light pattern than the OEM units
Evolution X MR+ Lancer VRX Sportback +LA Lancer GSR
"Don't back off until you hit something"

bumblebee
Post Monster
Post Monster

Re: Brighter headlights and reversing lights questions

Postby bumblebee » Sat Jun 29, 2019 9:54 pm

Add a decent LED bar and wiring. Have a look at "stedi" lights from Melbourne
You will be hard pressed to find something as bright as those led bars.
Their wiring harness is 100% plug n play and ADR approved Australia wide and the wiring harness can be used for any led bar , doesn't have to be Stedi.

Return to “Lighting”