***** ALERT - Nominations for your new ClubCJ Committee can be made here *****

My new lightbar

HID's, Bulb's + LED Interior and Exterior Illumination.

Moderators: Moderators, Senior Moderators

Ljbyrne98
Lancer Learner
Lancer Learner

My new lightbar

Postby Ljbyrne98 » Sat Dec 16, 2017 12:06 pm

:hallo:

First post like this here so please be nice :D

Anyway I just wanted to share my new lightbar, I haven't seen any mounted like this before so I thought I'd post it up here.

Here are the pics:

The mesh doesn't affect the light at all and the only "problem" I had was I needed to move the number plate up a few centimetres as it cut off the top of the lightbar.

I tested it on the black spur at 4am and I couldn't be happier, it was like driving at day. And for anyone who is interested it is a 560mm 120w light bar.

Lancer1993
Genius
Genius

Re: My new lightbar

Postby Lancer1993 » Sat Dec 16, 2017 12:16 pm

Thanks for the post, I've been considering something like this, nice clean stealth look, good job. Now wondering if I can mount my 110mm round spots behind there? Only issue I can see is it they need adjusting its not a quick road side fix.

How is it mounted?

560mm so thats about 22" single row, how tall is it?

Also get a slim line number plate, check with your states DMV and they will give you some prices.
Mine was about $160 and is just 100mm tall so comes to the top of the bottom grill.

You could leave the grill off for that not so subtle look, but I guess this it on its less prone to damage from stones and stuff?
My rides CJ VRX - CC coupe

keats1379
Lancer Newbie
Lancer Newbie

Postby keats1379 » Sat Dec 16, 2017 12:18 pm

could you possibly show a picture of the bracket with how you mounted the bar?
MY RIDE: Gold 2011 CJ Lancer SX Auto Sedan

Shoulda bought a manual :mrgreen:

Ljbyrne98
Lancer Learner
Lancer Learner

Postby Ljbyrne98 » Sat Dec 16, 2017 12:24 pm

I'm not too sure on the height of if but I measured as twin row that was 75mm so I assume it's probably 60-65mm. I'm not too sure if the spots would fit but if they did its not too hard to adjust. There's 5 clips under the front of the car, just take those out and adjust from the bottom. It's mounted on a stainless L bracket. It one one of those number plate light mounts and I just cut the bar off of it. The number plate fits pretty much exactly between the two mesh parts. And I wasn't a fan of leaving the grille out but that's just personal preference. I like to keep things hidden, basically a sleeper in terms of light.

Ljbyrne98
Lancer Learner
Lancer Learner

Postby Ljbyrne98 » Sat Dec 16, 2017 12:27 pm

This is what I used to mount it, I just cut the bar off the front and mounted it backwards. It's just bolted between here the bumper connects to the subframe.

lancerdarryl
Lancer MASTER
Lancer MASTER

Postby lancerdarryl » Sat Dec 16, 2017 12:48 pm

Good job
Evolution X MR+ Lancer VRX Sportback +LA Lancer GSR
"Don't back off until you hit something"

Lancer1993
Genius
Genius

Postby Lancer1993 » Sat Dec 16, 2017 2:15 pm

Thats a smart idea, I would have just got some cheap alloy angle and cut it to size, I know those bars can be expensive in stores, some $60 at SCA compared with $20 on eBay. Not sure how much to pick up something similar at a metal works as scrap. I'm sure I could rig up something.

What switch did you use on the dash?

As for the light bar BCF has a 21.5" bar for $75 until Dec 24.

Ljbyrne98
Lancer Learner
Lancer Learner

Postby Ljbyrne98 » Sat Dec 16, 2017 2:49 pm

I had a spare one at home that had been sitting under the bench for ages, I used it because it was stainless but also because all the other steel I had wasn't long enough (i couldn't mount the bar far enough back so I couldn't fit the grille back on). Any L brackets would work though, as long as they're strong enough. The stainless had the added benefit of being a single piece so it was a lot stronger than two skinny L brackets.

And as for the switch... :P I spliced it directly into the high beams. I didn't want to ruin my mint interior by drilling holes in the dash and I didn't want to go buy some buttons of ebay that would fit in my unused slots where the asc button is. Apparently that's now legal in Victoria, it never used to be but I've heard they recently changed it so it is. Which I totally knew before I did it...

Ljbyrne98
Lancer Learner
Lancer Learner

Postby Ljbyrne98 » Sat Dec 16, 2017 3:02 pm

And as for the light bar I used, I don't think it's sold any more but it was a top quality one. The one you linked had a polycarbonate lens and was ~7400 lumen. The one I used was a glass lenses, about ~8400 lumens and completely waterproof. I'd be too scared to put one that low to the ground if it wasn't waterproof. Considering I'm the first one to hit the puddles of water when cruising around with my mates (who all have awd or 4wd)

Lancer1993
Genius
Genius

Postby Lancer1993 » Sat Dec 16, 2017 5:15 pm

You don't need to drill holes in the dash, I'd just get a switch, move the ASC switch (on the dash) to the right/left and put the switch on the other side, less chance of hitting the wrong one. I got a 3rd party switch on eBay for about $25 for my front camera on/off and it works just fine.

This is near the gear change, its the 'Zombie Lights' one LOL next to my extra USB power ports.

What's legal? The blank spaces are there to be used, either from the factory with other things like parking assist.

I would say they are all weather proof for rain and splashes, but not to be submerged, which is unlikely on a car even that low.

Lancer1993
Genius
Genius

Postby Lancer1993 » Sat Dec 16, 2017 7:21 pm

Also my only concern is how it could affect the cooling, then again if you have a turbo you have a dirty big intercooler sitting there!

Ljbyrne98
Lancer Learner
Lancer Learner

Postby Ljbyrne98 » Sat Dec 16, 2017 7:57 pm

I considered it but I didn't want to wait for the switch to arrive. I also still have warranty on my car and didn't want to void it by playing with those sorts of electricals, they'll void it whenever possible these day's. I had my custom muffler made up so I can easily change it back for my warranty required service's.

And wiring additional lights directions into the high beams is now legal, you no longer need to have a separate switch for it. They changed the laws this year I believe.

Lancer1993
Genius
Genius

Postby Lancer1993 » Sat Dec 16, 2017 8:58 pm

My car was used when I got it, but covered for an extended warranty where I have them do the service (long story) I got a new exhaust end and a few other things with no issue including a new ASX color instrument cluster with no issues. I actually checked with them first. I'm sure if its legal the muffler is no issue. As are driving lights if fitted correctly. I'd just check with them first and maybe get something in writing.

Apart from the lights I also will be getting a USB lead hard wired in the front and back to make the dash cam installs cleaner.

But its you call.

Ljbyrne98
Lancer Learner
Lancer Learner

Postby Ljbyrne98 » Mon Dec 18, 2017 12:08 pm

I have the exact same warranty by the sounds of it. I just felt it would be safer to swap it back for the service. I enjoy playing around with the car anyway. I got a few more things I might do but nothing major.

bumblebee
Post Monster
Post Monster

Postby bumblebee » Mon Dec 18, 2017 7:09 pm

Ljbyrne98 wrote:
And wiring additional lights directions into the high beams is now legal, you no longer need to have a separate switch for it. They changed the laws this year I believe.

You might like to double check this for sure at your state level cos i know that this isnt the case for Qld

Return to “Lighting”