***** ALERT - Nominations for your new ClubCJ Committee can be made here *****

My new lightbar

HID's, Bulb's + LED Interior and Exterior Illumination.

Moderators: Moderators, Senior Moderators

Quismiff
Lancer Legend
Lancer Legend

Re: My new lightbar

Postby Quismiff » Mon Dec 18, 2017 8:02 pm

bumblebee wrote:
Ljbyrne98 wrote:
And wiring additional lights directions into the high beams is now legal, you no longer need to have a separate switch for it. They changed the laws this year I believe.

You might like to double check this for sure at your state level cos i know that this isnt the case for Qld

This makes perfect sense to me,
I remember watching dad wiring up the spot lights on the Terano (pathfinder here) into the high beam circuit as it was a legal requirement. Now back home they've changed it ao you can have it either way, but having if hooked into the high beams would be better as it doesn't require fumbling for another switch should you encounter an on coming vehicle.
2007 MY08 VR-X (cj-red)

I'm an eccentric smart-arse whose sarcasm has him perpetually in the s#@!.

Lancer1993
Genius
Genius

Postby Lancer1993 » Mon Dec 18, 2017 8:26 pm

You wouldn't have to fumble with the switch, when you go off high beam the lighter would go off. The point of a switch is to allow you to use the high beam without the light bar iff needed.

The hard part (if you can call it that) is running the wires through the firewall.
My rides CJ VRX - CC coupe

Ljbyrne98
Lancer Learner
Lancer Learner

Postby Ljbyrne98 » Tue Dec 19, 2017 6:50 am

https://www.vicroads.vic.gov.au/safety- ... ing-lights

the lamp/s must only come on when the main-beam (high beam) headlamps are used, and must automatically turn off when the main-beam headlamps are turned off

That's light bar specific for my state (Vic) it's the only wiring requirement that I can find. It basically says the exact same thing for any additional lights.

bumblebee
Post Monster
Post Monster

Postby bumblebee » Wed Dec 20, 2017 12:25 pm

Thats cool
Standard ADR

Ronan.Butler11
Lancer VRX/GTS
Lancer VRX/GTS

Postby Ronan.Butler11 » Thu Dec 21, 2017 10:17 am

looks mint dude, was waiting for someone to do it too see if i liked the way it looked.

Question --> would it be possible (if so how hard) to relay the bar into the high beams, yet have an external switch which can disconnect/reconnect it.

i think i said that really crap. basically a switch that allows you to
a) only have high beams on when lever is pulled
b) have both high beams and light bar turned on/off by the normal high beam lever

- this could be easier to use as you wouldnt have to "fumble" to find the external switch for an oncoming car, simply pull the lever

also i live in a very "grumpy" area with not many streetlights, using my high beams is a bit risky and i think a light bar might be a bit too far in a residential area, hense why having the switch to de-activate the light bar from the high beam switch

im pretty jet lagged so if its all jibberish tell me hahahaha
"When I Grow Up, I Wanna Be An Evo! (9 MR with a filthy BOV)

'09 Lancer VRX
Modifications:
De-Res Then a 2.5" Dual Exit X-Force Axle back Exhaust
18" King Rims
Ralliart Snorkel
LED No. Plate lights and interior
*insert further useless modifications to make it seem like i'm good at this*

bumblebee
Post Monster
Post Monster

Postby bumblebee » Thu Dec 21, 2017 12:12 pm

Ronan. Yes. Very simple. Get a wiring kit from "stedi " in melbourne. They usually retail for about $60 but keep your eye on them and they do %50 off. I have their wiring kit and it works a treat and does what you want

Lancer1993
Genius
Genius

Postby Lancer1993 » Thu Dec 21, 2017 3:46 pm

BCF has LED light bars where you buy the light and wiring separately.

I've always had a switch on any spot lights I've fitted in the past. And given the CJ has some handy empty spots on the dash to put a stock looking switch.

Right now I'm on the fence for my spots v a new light bar.

lancerdarryl
Lancer MASTER
Lancer MASTER

Postby lancerdarryl » Thu Dec 21, 2017 4:57 pm

Lancer1993 wrote:

Lights beat LED's anytime,they don't have the distance of a good pair of driving lights.
Evolution X MR+ Lancer VRX Sportback +LA Lancer GSR
"Don't back off until you hit something"

Lancer1993
Genius
Genius

Postby Lancer1993 » Thu Dec 21, 2017 6:48 pm

Anyone make a light 'pod' for the front on the CJ?

The lights I've got have 2 big bonuses, I have them so lower costs and I like the retro look. Can't wait to get some steel and weld up a support for them. If done right I might have the option to mount a LED bar in the lower grill also, if needed.

bumblebee
Post Monster
Post Monster

Postby bumblebee » Fri Dec 22, 2017 11:39 am

lancerdarryl wrote:
Lancer1993 wrote:

Lights beat LED's anytime,they don't have the distance of a good pair of driving lights.

I beg to differ

Grab a decent led bar eg Stedi and see what world of difference it makes. Maybe if your out rally driving it may make a difference but for normal run of the mill road and off road use a decent sizedled bar will fill your needs more then adequately

bumblebee
Post Monster
Post Monster

Postby bumblebee » Fri Dec 22, 2017 11:40 am

Lancer1993 wrote:Anyone make a light 'pod' for the front on the CJ?

The lights I've got have 2 big bonuses, I have them so lower costs and I like the retro look. Can't wait to get some steel and weld up a support for them. If done right I might have the option to mount a LED bar in the lower grill also, if needed.

Halogen lights suck.
Sorry
Draw way too much amp's for bugger all light output

Ljbyrne98
Lancer Learner
Lancer Learner

Postby Ljbyrne98 » Sat Dec 23, 2017 6:20 am

Ronan.Butler11 wrote:looks mint dude, was waiting for someone to do it too see if i liked the way it looked.

Question --> would it be possible (if so how hard) to relay the bar into the high beams, yet have an external switch which can disconnect/reconnect it.

i think i said that really crap. basically a switch that allows you to
a) only have high beams on when lever is pulled
b) have both high beams and light bar turned on/off by the normal high beam lever

- this could be easier to use as you wouldnt have to "fumble" to find the external switch for an oncoming car, simply pull the lever

also i live in a very "grumpy" area with not many streetlights, using my high beams is a bit risky and i think a light bar might be a bit too far in a residential area, hense why having the switch to de-activate the light bar from the high beam switch

im pretty jet lagged so if its all jibberish tell me hahahaha

You sure can, you can either buy a wiring harness, most of which some with a switch, just run that switch to whatever you want and then to the highbeam wire. It's that simple. If you can't find a wiring harness a switch, relay, some decently heavy wire and a few connectors and you'll be fine.

Ljbyrne98
Lancer Learner
Lancer Learner

Postby Ljbyrne98 » Sat Dec 23, 2017 6:25 am

bumblebee wrote:
lancerdarryl wrote:
Lancer1993 wrote:

I beg to differ

Grab a decent led bar eg Stedi and see what world of difference it makes. Maybe if your out rally driving it may make a difference but for normal run of the mill road and off road use a decent sizedled bar will fill your needs more then adequately

Agreed, there's also different lightbars you can get, there's spot, flood and combo (they are all pretty self explanatory). If you get high quality lights (not cheap $60 lights) they will kill almost any spots you can find. Sure, maybe they don't go as far but it the further a light goes, the less spread it has. I'd much rather see more at a slightly shorter distance (the distance is still more than necessary) than see a tiny area at a distance that is getting hard to make out what anything is.

Lancer1993
Genius
Genius

Postby Lancer1993 » Sat Dec 23, 2017 7:17 am

Dumb question but is there any easy way to test the spot lights I have?

Not used them in years and right now I've got nothing wired up but I might have enough bits to rig up something over the weekend.

They are GE sealed beams about 110mm across. (I'll post a photo later today)

EDITED... I checked this on last week, just to get an idea how it looks, last time I used it was with the coupe about 4 years ago!

bumblebee
Post Monster
Post Monster

Postby bumblebee » Sat Dec 23, 2017 8:17 am

Define what you mean by test?
You can simple connect the positive and negative lead from the light directly to the battery to see if the headlight will power up and test if bulb is working.
If you wish to test the lights at night i stongly advise to put in a "stedi" wiring kit.
A. They are inexpensive
B. Easy to wire up
C. If u decide to use light bar or halogen lights you can make it work with this wiring
D. The wirings are ADR complient

My current light bar is a spotlight from BCF and i bought it cos it was on special for $120 or so down from over $300
Not as good as a stedi but i know for a fact it will light up sign posts over 2 kilometers away as i tested it on a very long straight road out the back of a suburb Kelso in townsville.
Nothing wrong with that kind of distance at all.

Return to “Lighting”