***** ALERT - Nominations for your new ClubCJ Committee can be made here *****

QUESTIONS ABOUT HID

HID's, Bulb's + LED Interior and Exterior Illumination.

Moderators: Moderators, Senior Moderators

evil x
INACTIVE Member Account

QUESTIONS ABOUT HID

Postby evil x » Mon Jul 27, 2009 9:32 pm

I am now planning to get a HID kit for my lancer and I've read thru several posts about HID, but I am getting confuse now.
can some pls explain to me whether i am ok to install the HID kit in VIC, and what kind of HID,eg 6000k? the bulb size?

thx

LZY_EYE
Genius
Genius

Postby LZY_EYE » Mon Jul 27, 2009 9:42 pm

Unless you do the proper thing and get levellers, and washers etc as well then it isn't legal.

SIR-VRX is the oracle when it comes to HID and legalities, but short answer is it is not legal.

Graham
Post Monster
Post Monster

Postby Graham » Tue Jul 28, 2009 2:33 pm

lzy_eye is correct, unless you have all the extra bits and pieces it isn't legal. chances are you won't get pulled up for it unless it isn't angled very well or if the officer is on a bit of a mission.

I think I remember SIR-VRX saying that for around $1500 you can switch to the aspire headlights which have HID as standard, but I'm not sure on that one!
Four wheels move the body, two wheels move the soul.
ImageImage
Daily Driver: Yamaha R1
Weekend Warrior: BMW Z4 Roadster

Speedie
Lancer MASTER
Lancer MASTER

Postby Speedie » Tue Jul 28, 2009 11:48 pm

Even if you did you'd still have to modify the bumper for the washer jets

[Evo X Brembos] [Evo X Intercooler] [Evo X UICP]

SIR-VRX
Genius
Genius

Postby SIR-VRX » Wed Jul 29, 2009 12:51 am

Ohai, I'm here finally lol

Ok. This can get very technical very fast. So I will try to keep it in Layman's terms. If you wish for further information, just ask and I can elaborate.

To be 100% legal it is a massive mission. I'm talking OEM everything from the assemblies to the levelers and washers. assemblies is easy to get going. Washers not so bad either, but not easy. Levelers you can forget about. A LOT of wiring is needed as there are sensors and even an ECU that does not exist in our cars.

So, my recommendation is to just get the OEM headlight assemblies. They do cost a pretty penny however, $2500 plus shipping (and import duty etc) from Japanparts.com but it does include everything like the ballasts and globes as well. From a dealer here I have been quoted $1500 each, but that I am led to believe is just for the base assemblies, not including the ballasts etc. And a regular HID kit will not work, as the ballasts need to be integrated like OEM.

Another option is to retro fit some projector bases into your existing headlights. Not easy, and not cheap but cheaper than the OEM option. If I can get my hands on a set of good headlights for spares, I will be doing this to my car. That is unless I win lotto and can afford $3000 for headlights.

now you are probably wondering why all the fuss over those headlights? Well, the way a HID globe produces light is completely different to a halogen globe. Thus when a HID globe is installed into a regular halogen headlight lens/reflector the light emitted by the reflector base is not controlled by the lens, and the light spreads everywhere, and does not focus properly. This causes glare and distraction to other drivers and from your drivers perspective, you are lacking the accuracy of the light aiming.

People say "just aim them lower and other people won't get glare" etc. This does NOT solve the problem at all. It just makes it less obvious. With a proper projector lens, a neat cut off in the correct shape is produced and no light crosses this line. When in a regular reflector lens, the light just "splays" out all over the joint.

Now once you have decided to go with HIDs, colour temperature is a big factor to consider also. 6000K is too high IMO. I would only go 5000K maximum, with 4500K a perfect colour. The reason is the hotter the colour (the higher K or Kelvin) the less light actually produced. Almost all OEM HID setups are 4300K to 5000K. Very rarely is anything higher. I mean very rare. If you see one that looks higher, they have either installed higher globes or the Lens itself is shaped to make more of a colour.

Also the higher the colour temperature, the more glare produced and therefore reflected into other driver's eyes or reflected off fog and rain etc

If I see anybody with aftermarket HIDs installed (Yes, I CAN tell) I high beam them. No hesitation. Not only is it extremely dangerous but highly illegal and stupid. There is good reason it is illegal. These lights are not a silly gimmick, they are an excellent source of light BUT only when done correctly.

Sorry to rant and ramble on about it haha but those are the facts. And I thought I will put it all in here, instead of writing bits and pieces in various places around the forum.

Thanks. I hope you and anybody else make the correct choice when it comes to your lighting.

FYI I have aftermarket headlight globes, halogen ones, and they are approx 4300K. Narva "Arctic Blue" they are slightly whiter than normal halogens, but not obviously so. Can only really tell when side by side, unless you are like me lol. They have increased my visibility and still remain legal and safe.

dumb&

Postby dumb& » Wed Jul 29, 2009 8:09 am

How good is that retrofit website Adrian. Seriously tits!

SIR-VRX
Genius
Genius

Postby SIR-VRX » Wed Jul 29, 2009 8:50 am

hahaha yeah it's pretty hardcore!

b3n87
Lancer VR/GT
Lancer VR/GT

Postby b3n87 » Wed Jul 29, 2009 6:25 pm

can the stock reflectors and lamp bases handle hi-temp HIDs? (i dont plan on getting real bright f&*$ off ones)

SIR-VRX
Genius
Genius

Postby SIR-VRX » Wed Jul 29, 2009 6:26 pm

What do you mean by high-temp HIDs?

b3n87
Lancer VR/GT
Lancer VR/GT

Postby b3n87 » Wed Jul 29, 2009 6:47 pm

colour temp

SIR-VRX
Genius
Genius

Postby SIR-VRX » Wed Jul 29, 2009 6:53 pm

Colour temperature has nothing do do with heat temperature. So yes, the stock lights can handle high colour temperatures. The actual heat of the globe is no different.

If you don't want "real bright f&*$ off ones" then don't get HIDs. They are all bright. If you just want some whiter globes, get Phillips Crystal Vision etc. They give you more light output (approx 50% more), are NOT HIDs and they give off a nice whiter colour, similar colours to HIDs.

Answer your question?

LZY_EYE
Genius
Genius

Postby LZY_EYE » Wed Jul 29, 2009 6:59 pm

I bought Ofey's Philips globes off him and put them in. I travel alot of rural roads and the difference is amazing.

I am with SIR-VRX. Do it properly or don't bother at all :)

Graham
Post Monster
Post Monster

Postby Graham » Thu Jul 30, 2009 1:52 pm

are there also different wattages of HID bulbs? could that make it a bit hotter?

< Doesn't know too much about HID :(
Four wheels move the body, two wheels move the soul.

ImageImage
Daily Driver: Yamaha R1
Weekend Warrior: BMW Z4 Roadster

SIR-VRX
Genius
Genius

Postby SIR-VRX » Thu Jul 30, 2009 2:28 pm

There are 35W and 55W. There is minimal heat difference between them. The 55Ws are slightly brighter, but you will not tell the difference in a normal headlight.

Return to “Lighting”