***** ALERT - Nominations for your new ClubCJ Committee can be made here *****

installing HID's

HID's, Bulb's + LED Interior and Exterior Illumination.

Moderators: Moderators, Senior Moderators

chrisb
INACTIVE Member Account

installing HID's

Postby chrisb » Fri Jul 24, 2009 11:00 am

does anyone have HID's installed aftermarket?? what colour and which brand did you go for? i''m looking at going with 8000K bulbs and Xenon HID ballasts in a kit from the USA. any thoughts...

Bandit
Lancer Legend
Lancer Legend

Postby Bandit » Fri Jul 24, 2009 11:06 am

8000K won't let you see as much at night!

6000K is better.
ClubCJ's first Sportback

Graham
Post Monster
Post Monster

Postby Graham » Fri Jul 24, 2009 11:23 am

I have HID's installed in my car, i'll take some pics when I get home tonight.

It's basically plug-and-play from when I installed them, I've had zero experience with this stuff and I found it fairly easy.

I have an 8000k kit but when I have some spare $$ I'm going to change to 6000k globes.

Definately improves view at night by alot though, in my opinion it's worth it.
Four wheels move the body, two wheels move the soul.
ImageImage
Daily Driver: Yamaha R1
Weekend Warrior: BMW Z4 Roadster

krz
Alumni
Alumni

Postby krz » Fri Jul 24, 2009 12:12 pm

I have 10000k on and it looks good. however visibility is not as bright.
6000k is the highest visibility.. i believe

Brand-wise.. ive always bought it on ebay.. cost around $60-90 around there.. ive bought 4 in total.. for previous car and bros car. all worked fine. first one is still working after 3 years.

Graham
Post Monster
Post Monster

Postby Graham » Fri Jul 24, 2009 1:48 pm

Yeah I also bought an ebay kit for $99 including shipping, so far so good.

can you take a pic of the 10000k's? I'd like to see them on a lancer - If only brightness wasn't sacrificed for colour :p

ImageImage

billyboy
Lancer Evolution
Lancer Evolution

Re: installing HID's

Postby billyboy » Fri Jul 24, 2009 2:48 pm

chrisb wrote:does anyone have HID's installed aftermarket?? what colour and which brand did you go for? i''m looking at going with 8000K bulbs and Xenon HID ballasts in a kit from the USA. any thoughts...

Are you also going to change the fitting to proper projector's that take HID's?

Sorry if this a rant, but nothing worse than plonking in 8000k HID's in a reflector, you'll be blinding everyone. :x

Been happening to me lately & its annoying the crap out of me, not to mention illegal on your part.

Graham
Post Monster
Post Monster

Postby Graham » Fri Jul 24, 2009 3:17 pm

billyboy wrote:
chrisb wrote:does anyone have HID's installed aftermarket?? what colour and which brand did you go for? i''m looking at going with 8000K bulbs and Xenon HID ballasts in a kit from the USA. any thoughts...

Sorry if this a rant, but nothing worse than plonking in 8000k HID's in a reflector, you'll be blinding everyone. :x

Been happening to me lately & its annoying the crap out of me, not to mention illegal on your part.

I have the 8000k HID's in the normal reflector style headlights, When I installed them I made sure they were angled accordingly and I've tested it with friends by

Driving head on (on the right sides of the road ofcourse)
Behind them at various distances

and they don't seem to have any problems with glare or blinding, they do say it is brighter than normal but nothing that would distract them, so I guess it could be how some are angled but mine seem to be okay, I have been flashed twice in ~3 months of driving though.

ImageImage

krz
Alumni
Alumni

Postby krz » Fri Jul 24, 2009 4:35 pm

Graham wrote:Yeah I also bought an ebay kit for $99 including shipping, so far so good.

can you take a pic of the 10000k's? I'd like to see them on a lancer - If only brightness wasn't sacrificed for colour :p

The photo wont be as bright as it shud be, as i have headlight tint now.. and its even dimmer..
ill see if i can grab some old photos.

SIR-VRX
Genius
Genius

Postby SIR-VRX » Fri Jul 24, 2009 5:20 pm

Graham wrote:
billyboy wrote:

I have the 8000k HID's in the normal reflector style headlights, When I installed them I made sure they were angled accordingly and I've tested it with friends by

Driving head on (on the right sides of the road ofcourse)
Behind them at various distances

and they don't seem to have any problems with glare or blinding, they do say it is brighter than normal but nothing that would distract them, so I guess it could be how some are angled but mine seem to be okay, I have been flashed twice in ~3 months of driving though.

Its not just about angling it correctly to reduce the throw. The optics of the lens is not designed to reflect the light emitted from a HID globe. How the light is produced is completely different from a halogen, and without a proper lens to reflect it properly is damn stupid IMO.

I will go into more detail if you like, I have it all ready to go in my head, as I have said it soooo many times to people just like you Graham, no offence mate. They just don't realise there is any difference. Nor do they realise it is an defectable offence and highly illegal. I just wish more police book people for it.

Jmi

Postby Jmi » Fri Jul 24, 2009 5:21 pm

Test with friends? Sorry to rant as well but the chances of friends telling you its NOT okay is far lesser than having one saying you got a problem.

Fitting HID blub in the halogen reflector housing will alway produce glare, even if you angle it "accordingly". The halogen reflector housing is to disperse the light from a point to get a good coverage. HID beam need to be projected to get a clean beam, not disperse.

It's all good and dandy to say "My friends and I think it looks fine", because when you are out driving with that sort of illegal lights, you are never gonna be blinded and affected by it. It's others on the road that will be.

The worst part is, it'll be the drivers who got blinded, that will have trouble continuing to drive while you still be merrily driving and continuing to blind all overs ahead of you.

billyboy
Lancer Evolution
Lancer Evolution

Postby billyboy » Fri Jul 24, 2009 6:10 pm

Jmi wrote:The worst part is, it'll be the drivers who got blinded, that will have trouble continuing to drive while you still be merrily driving and continuing to blind all overs ahead of you.

Exactly my point.

Not saying you shouldn't get HID's but make sure they are ADR compliant & fitted properly. I usually look the away at some 'questionable' mods but sorry this is a danger to fellow motorists.

PMR
Club Sponsor
Club Sponsor

Postby PMR » Sat Jul 25, 2009 11:24 am

nothing is ADR compliant these days unless its OEM

evo headlights are expenssive for a reason , becasue they have been suited 100% from housing through to globes

I agree 100% with sir VRX

dumb&

Postby dumb& » Sat Jul 25, 2009 11:49 am

http://store.theretrofitsource.com/prod ... 9e24e0b9c2

Either do this, or don't do it at all. Or buy Aspire headlights.

I originally wanted some, until I kept getting blinded by them.

SIR-VRX
Genius
Genius

Postby SIR-VRX » Sat Jul 25, 2009 11:51 am

Thats exactly right Daveee.

And for those who say "we can't put those in our lights" it has been done a few times to CJ Lancer headlights already. Both highs and lows on some even.

leevin
Lancer VRX/GTS
Lancer VRX/GTS

Postby leevin » Sat Jul 25, 2009 8:01 pm

ive got a kaizen 8000k hid kit in my car. angled down of course.
yeah i know its illegal but i like em haha.
sir vrx made some very detailed posts about hids in:
http://clubcj.net/viewtopic.php?t=163 :D
07 CJ VRX BLACK LANCER

Return to “Lighting”