***** ALERT - Nominations for your new ClubCJ Committee can be made here *****

New DRL headlights, need help ASAP

HID's, Bulb's + LED Interior and Exterior Illumination.

Moderators: Moderators, Senior Moderators

Kibbles
Lancer Newbie
Lancer Newbie

Re: New DRL headlights, need help ASAP

Postby Kibbles » Sun Oct 22, 2017 9:36 pm

Would you be able to take a photo of the headlights turned on, in the sunlight so we can see how bright the DRLs are?

rasit.aslim
Lancer ES/EX
Lancer ES/EX

Postby rasit.aslim » Mon Oct 23, 2017 6:07 pm

Ronan.Butler11 wrote:
rasit.aslim wrote:
Ronan.Butler11 wrote:
Sorry a bit off topic, but now the lights are a-ok, how do you find them at night? ive only driven cars with separate lights for low and high beam, exept for a JCW mini with HID's, which i was trying not to kill myself in rather than pay attention to my lights lol

went a bit off topic there but meh,\

so yeh, is this product a Yay or Nay? well keen to get a set like this or similar

They are pretty bright at night despite the fact that the bulbs it came with are no brand cheap 4800k halogens.
I ordered a pair of Nighteye H7 LED globes and JW Speaker LEDs, will see if it'll make any noticeable difference.

The headlights were level when they were fitted, didn't need to adjust them and the light beam is just perfect. Nice and sharp, it looks like this when behind another car except the lines are more perfect on these headlights. No need for xenon HID when you can achieve the same quality with this headlight combined with good quality bulbs

I bought them from JDM Accessories http://jdmaccessories.com.au/product/3d ... -cj-evo-x/
They have a partnership with CT Auto Parts and you can afterpay it if you don't want to shell out too much cash at once :P

Wow thats a pretty good light output compared to reflector, well keen on that. are the hi beams and low beams 2 bulbs in the one housing or 1 bulb that does both? stupid question but i want to be 100% sure

It's bi-xenon so high/low beam are in one housing so 1 bulb does both, bulbs are H7 but its ballast ready (has area to fit ballast on top)
Last edited by rasit.aslim on Mon Oct 23, 2017 6:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2017 Lancer ES CF Sport

rasit.aslim
Lancer ES/EX
Lancer ES/EX

Postby rasit.aslim » Mon Oct 23, 2017 6:08 pm

Kibbles wrote:Would you be able to take a photo of the headlights turned on, in the sunlight so we can see how bright the DRLs are?

Sure, I will do it soon and upload a photo of both day and night and the dimming of factory drl for CF.

Just a heads up. As mentioned by another user on here, unless fitted with a relay, factory DRL on CF will dim a little as it sends too much voltage when powering on 4 DRLs at once (2 headlights and 2 factory drl) so relay is a must unless you're not too fussed.

I have mine wired so the headlight DRLs don't turn on when ignition is on, only turns on for parking lights and when headlights are on.
2017 Lancer ES CF Sport

Shaun Patterson
Lancer VRX/GTS
Lancer VRX/GTS

Postby Shaun Patterson » Tue Oct 24, 2017 9:22 am

its still very illsgal to run HID in any of those headlights, unless your car cam factory wit hHID there is abou a 0% or you being able to do it legally

ReeceCozaa
Lancer Legend
Lancer Legend

Postby ReeceCozaa » Tue Oct 24, 2017 9:36 am

rasit.aslim wrote:
Kibbles wrote:Would you be able to take a photo of the headlights turned on, in the sunlight so we can see how bright the DRLs are?

Sure, I will do it soon and upload a photo of both day and night and the dimming of factory drl for CF.

Just a heads up. As mentioned by another user on here, unless fitted with a relay, factory DRL on CF will dim a little as it sends too much voltage when powering on 4 DRLs at once (2 headlights and 2 factory drl) so relay is a must unless you're not too fussed.

I have mine wired so the headlight DRLs don't turn on when ignition is on, only turns on for parking lights and when headlights are on.

you are a life saver! i’ve got the angel eye headlights from CT auto parts and oh boy was i annoyed when the bottom DRL in my CF dimmed, since you got the solution gonna fix that up so i can get best of both worlds
We are all in it for the fun!

bumblebee
Post Monster
Post Monster

Postby bumblebee » Tue Oct 24, 2017 10:19 am

Shaun Patterson wrote:its still very illsgal to run HID in any of those headlights, unless your car cam factory wit hHID there is abou a 0% or you being able to do it legally

I had a gut feeling this might be the case
Hence why i run a LED lightbar instead

Quismiff
Lancer Legend
Lancer Legend

Postby Quismiff » Tue Oct 24, 2017 10:54 am

Has anyone ever been pulled up for having DRLs on while headlights are on?
2007 MY08 VR-X (cj-red)

I'm an eccentric smart-arse whose sarcasm has him perpetually in the s#@!.

rasit.aslim
Lancer ES/EX
Lancer ES/EX

Postby rasit.aslim » Tue Oct 24, 2017 11:44 am

Quismiff wrote:Has anyone ever been pulled up for having DRLs on while headlights are on?

Factory DRLs on the CF stay on all the time, no way to turn it off unless you cut the wire or remove the light completely. These DRLs look factory, the led bar is not super bright or super low, just the right amount. Light output is the same as Audi/Mercedes in daytime, and I've seen people customise these headlights to make the DRL brighter when it's already bright enough. I read somewhere that you can't legally have more than 2 DRLs on at the same time but there are cars out there that have 4 by factory

You can also wire up a bluetooth module on these to change the eye colour with a remote (look up lancer CJ DRL demon eyes) on YouTube, same headlight overseas come with the red eye so you press a switch remotely and it changes colour of the eye which is awesome

I've driven past police both day and night and they don't seem to care, I think you'll be safe as long as the beam doesn't glare oncoming drivers (solved by aiming headlights low) and you keep the light below 6000k
2017 Lancer ES CF Sport

bumblebee
Post Monster
Post Monster

Postby bumblebee » Tue Oct 24, 2017 12:05 pm

Quismiff wrote:Has anyone ever been pulled up for having DRLs on while headlights are on?

Rather then take a stab in the dark
At least talk to your local department of transport and get the facts rather then what people "think" or "reckon" the laws are

Quismiff
Lancer Legend
Lancer Legend

Postby Quismiff » Tue Oct 24, 2017 12:12 pm

NTC website states DRLs must not be on when the headlights are on, given this is the NATIONAL Transport Commission, I figured it covered local regulations, (which on the RACQ website this requirement is echo'd). Have a read here page 73, for why I asked my question.
2007 MY08 VR-X (cj-red)

bumblebee
Post Monster
Post Monster

Postby bumblebee » Tue Oct 24, 2017 12:24 pm

Each state has their own set of laws for lights etc
They modify the national laws to suit themself.
Some of the laws stay the same as national laws but not always

Quismiff
Lancer Legend
Lancer Legend

Postby Quismiff » Tue Oct 24, 2017 12:40 pm

Vic roads pretty much copies the NTC PDF, though it is almost three times as large, so must have a swathe of extras in there, and NSW also mentions this rule, and they have roadworthy inspections periodically, so my question still stands, has anyone ever been picked up for DRLs being on when headlights are on? especially when taking the car for a roadworthy or other regulatory inspection.
2007 MY08 VR-X (cj-red)

bumblebee
Post Monster
Post Monster

Postby bumblebee » Tue Oct 24, 2017 12:45 pm

For what its worth Never heard of it happening in Qld from anyone i know

ReeceCozaa
Lancer Legend
Lancer Legend

Postby ReeceCozaa » Tue Oct 24, 2017 12:51 pm

as said all CF lancers have DRL 24/7 so if they’re allowed into australia exactly like they are then they’re either bypassing a law or the law must of changed many years ago because many vehicles use DRL with no off switches
We are all in it for the fun!

Quismiff
Lancer Legend
Lancer Legend

Postby Quismiff » Tue Oct 24, 2017 1:21 pm

Most recent information I can find dates to 2015, which I understand is 2 years ago, but it is the most recent I can find. Most vehicles in Europe have DRLs as mandatory from 2011, so the standards are still constantly evolving for Australia, it was a curiosity, as I remember when DRLs started becoming a big thing in NZ around 2010 - 2012 and the cops went nuts pulling over everyone who had DRLs on at night, but it has obviously become a side issue back there. It seems to be the same here, I think you get picked up at W.O.F time back home, but it doesn't take much to sort out.
2007 MY08 VR-X (cj-red)

Return to “Lighting”