***** ALERT - Nominations for your new ClubCJ Committee can be made here *****

Indicator Flashing speed

HID's, Bulb's + LED Interior and Exterior Illumination.

Moderators: Moderators, Senior Moderators

Graham
Post Monster
Post Monster

Indicator Flashing speed

Postby Graham » Sun Jul 12, 2009 2:12 pm

hey guys,

Has anyone ever had their indicators flash like 5 times faster than usual?

I tried some LEDs for the rear indicators and when I was driving I noticed they flashed ALOT faster than normal, even the front and side indicators which were still the normal bulbs. :shock:
this can't be good for the bulbs flashing at a 3-5x quicker rate so I removed the LEDs from the rear indicators.

I've also been told that when the indicators flash faster it could be a blown bulb or fuse problem - I'm not sure how accurate that is though.

I checked MMCS options (7" touchscreen) and there wasn't an option to change the flashing speed, only how many flashes if you 'tap' it to change lanes or the alarm locking pattern.

It's a bit of a weird one so I thought i'd post it up and see if anyone knew anything more about it or if they've had the same experience
Four wheels move the body, two wheels move the soul.
ImageImage
Daily Driver: Yamaha R1
Weekend Warrior: BMW Z4 Roadster

dumb&

Postby dumb& » Sun Jul 12, 2009 2:32 pm

Something to do with the car thinking the bulbs have blown due to the power consumption of LEDs vs regular globes.

Someone with electrical knowledge will be able to explain it better :)

Josh_Emerton
Lancer MASTER
Lancer MASTER

Postby Josh_Emerton » Sun Jul 12, 2009 2:44 pm

I've seen a lot of cars with fast-flashing indicators though. I kinda like it, it stands out so much more, i.e. noticable.

tadz0rz
Genius
Genius

Postby tadz0rz » Sun Jul 12, 2009 4:09 pm

I would say it would be the indicator can, but we dont have them in our cars :P Everything runs through the ETACS ECU. If it keeps happening, drop into your mitsu dealer, should be able to fix it no problems
Got a question? Read the ClubCJ Ultimate Guide First!!
Just...Dont worry about it ;)Dont Click Me

Marsh
Lancer VR/GT
Lancer VR/GT

Postby Marsh » Sun Jul 12, 2009 4:21 pm

im pretty sure its a requirement that indicator flash speeds increase when a globe is blown.

Davee is right about the car thinking that there is a blown globe due to resistance of the LED. I remeber reading a explanation on here somewhere but can remember where right now. Something about placing a load resistor in the circuit so that the LED appears like a normal globe to the ecu

EDIT: read this thread for more info
http://clubcj.net/viewtopic.php?t=1838&highlight=load+resistor

SIR-VRX
Genius
Genius

Postby SIR-VRX » Sun Jul 12, 2009 7:11 pm

Marsh found the thread where I discussed it. I think I even said about the indicators.

It's an ADR requirement that the indicators flash faster if there is a blown bulb. The LEDs show to the ETACS ECU as a blown bulb. So that is why they flash fast.

It is not a fault with the car, nor the LEDs.

Remove just one normal bulb (don't replace it - this imitates a blown bulb) and it will flash fast then.

Dummer

Postby Dummer » Sun Jul 12, 2009 7:25 pm

tadz0rz wrote:I would say it would be the indicator can, but we dont have them in our cars :P Everything runs through the ETACS ECU. If it keeps happening, drop into your mitsu dealer, should be able to fix it no problems

You have no idea.

As said by daveee it's because the LEDs draw less power than a incadescent therefore the car thinks the bulb is blown!

SIR-VRX
Genius
Genius

Postby SIR-VRX » Sun Jul 12, 2009 7:28 pm

Don't worry about him Ryan, he has to get his post count up somehow. And guessing incorrectly is how he does it.

dumb&

Postby dumb& » Sun Jul 12, 2009 8:56 pm

Bring out the claws, ladies!

ofey
Alumni
Alumni

Postby ofey » Sun Jul 12, 2009 9:11 pm

As usual SIR-VRX has his finger on the pulse of it. He's spot on!

SIR-VRX wrote:Marsh found the thread where I discussed it. I think I even said about the indicators.

It's an ADR requirement that the indicators flash faster if there is a blown bulb. The LEDs show to the ETACS ECU as a blown bulb. So that is why they flash fast.

It is not a fault with the car, nor the LEDs.

Remove just one normal bulb (don't replace it - this imitates a blown bulb) and it will flash fast then.

SIR-VRX = Chief Techie
All in favor say aye!
Beeble tooned MY08 OEd. w/ RA BKit+SWheel
Cosworth Panel Filter w/ RA Intake | SuperCircuit 4-2-1 Headers | Creat’d Ti-tipped SS exhaust
BC BR-type Coilovers | UR + Whiteline Bars
EBC GreenStuff Pads | RDA Rotors

SIR-VRX
Genius
Genius

Postby SIR-VRX » Sun Jul 12, 2009 9:32 pm

Aye!

Graham
Post Monster
Post Monster

Postby Graham » Mon Jul 13, 2009 9:36 am

Aye!

Thanks for that guys, I've already taken out the LED's and will probably just leave them out unless I can sort out a resistor or something.

ImageImage

Speedie
Lancer MASTER
Lancer MASTER

Postby Speedie » Mon Jul 13, 2009 10:09 am

There is also a law as to how fast your indicator has to flash and the cops and transport can defect your car with the issue of a fine if its not within the specified timing.

[Evo X Brembos] [Evo X Intercooler] [Evo X UICP]

Graham
Post Monster
Post Monster

Postby Graham » Mon Jul 13, 2009 11:12 am

Speedie wrote:There is also a law as to how fast your indicator has to flash and the cops and transport can defect your car with the issue of a fine if its not within the specified timing.

Yeah that would make sense as when I was looking at them it did seem as if it would be distracting for people behind me, my friends definitely noticed it when they were behind me. The last thing I want would be a canary or a fine :(

ImageImage

SIR-VRX
Genius
Genius

Postby SIR-VRX » Mon Jul 13, 2009 2:04 pm

I found some Load Resistors on ebay. $50 shipped for 10. That's the cheapest I have ever seen them, so I nabbed them.

I am unsure if we can get away with only doing the indicators and one lot of the tail lights (outers) or if we need to do the inner tails as well. I will report back when I have the load resistors and they are installed. If the inners do not need to be done, I can sell the others I don't need to somebody else. I won't do it for profit.

Return to “Lighting”