***** ALERT - Nominations for your new ClubCJ Committee can be made here *****

Not happy with OEM lights, need something better.

HID's, Bulb's + LED Interior and Exterior Illumination.

Moderators: Moderators, Senior Moderators

Lancerman
Lancer Newbie
Lancer Newbie

Postby Lancerman » Thu Jan 07, 2016 8:00 pm

Found it

:D

OldEmmGee
Lancer Newbie
Lancer Newbie

Postby OldEmmGee » Fri Jan 08, 2016 9:19 am

Probably too late now, but you have checked the beam alignment? I know of a number of vehicles where the headlamp aim was set too low - adjusting to the correct level helped a lot!

Lancerman
Lancer Newbie
Lancer Newbie

Postby Lancerman » Fri Jan 08, 2016 2:48 pm

Thanks Douglas,

Yep, headlight aim is one of first the first checks when light output is inadequate along with the usual diagnostics when problems are present.

I did ask the Mitsi dealer to check headlight aim on the 1500 k service I had done the other day although the aim in my case isn't the problem and the dealer agreed as the aim check came out fine.

The towbar fitment dropped the bum down a few mm ( about 5 to 10 or so ) and theoretically should have brought the aim up a little but it's not really a matter of aim in this case, the light output is just not sufficient for non urban driving.

I'm sure Mitsubishi have put the cheapest, nastiest lowest quality bulbs that they could find in my car !!!

Just wouldn't expect a new 2015 build car to have such poor lighting whether by design or quality of parts.

Lancerman
Lancer Newbie
Lancer Newbie

Postby Lancerman » Thu Jan 14, 2016 3:00 pm

Got a pair of Osram Halogen Nightbreakers in the mail today, $49 posted from an evilbay seller in Sydney.

Didn't know what to try first, Phillips, Osram, Narva so just went with Osram as they were all spruiking the same/similar results and were all within $5 price difference from each other . Of course I went with the cheapest one !! *biggrin1*

Will fit on the weekend, will try and take before and after pics if I can work out how to throw ' em up on the forum.

Cheers for everyones help,

Terry.

OldEmmGee
Lancer Newbie
Lancer Newbie

Postby OldEmmGee » Thu Jan 14, 2016 5:27 pm

Let us know how you go......

I tried a pair of +50's a few years back and although could see a difference, nowhere near as good as additional lights ;-)

Lancerman
Lancer Newbie
Lancer Newbie

Postby Lancerman » Thu Jan 14, 2016 6:02 pm

OldEmmGee wrote:Let us know how you go...... I tried a pair of +50s a few years back and although could see a difference, nowhere near as good as additional lights ;-)

Yep, will do. Hoping to fit them Sat morning, off to work on arvo shift then, will know how they go Sat night on the run home.

These are Osram Nightbreaker plus 110's and that deciphers as " up to 90% more distance and 20% more whiter light than OEM lights " , according to packet that is.

The " up to " part is the variable unknown in this.

If I get 50% better light than the sh*t Mitsubishi originals then I'll be happy, anything better than that will be a bonus.

Lancerman
Lancer Newbie
Lancer Newbie

Postby Lancerman » Thu Jan 14, 2016 6:05 pm

These were the Evilbay ones I bought.......

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Osram-Night- ... 1325097987

el3ment
Lancer Legend
Lancer Legend

Postby el3ment » Thu Jan 14, 2016 10:11 pm

Agreed. The stock reflector headlights are crap on the lancers. f you want decent light, get projector headlights from an evo and put HIDs in them. Best lighting you can get...

I'm getting mine retro fitted this year coz I'm sick of not seeing anything during the night
AK 3" Single tip exhaust | 18x9 CST Zero 1 Hyper wheels |BC-BR Coilovers | UR UICP | Synapse DV | 3-pod A-Pillar | Adj. rear camber & toe arms | AK Aluminium undertray

himynameisdaniel
Lancer Evolution
Lancer Evolution

Postby himynameisdaniel » Thu Jan 14, 2016 10:42 pm

get projector headlights from an evo and put HIDs in them. Best lighting you can get

I have been told that if you go after market on projector lights. you end up paying for quality lenses. can someone clarify on that?
has anyone purchased after market projectors and compared them with OEM?
K+N drop in
RA intake
SS 4-2-1 Headers
Whiteline Strut Brace
Whiteline Rear Sway Bar
SuperPro Polyurethane Bushings
Paddle Shifters

Merlinised

SAM-24A
Alumni
Alumni

Postby SAM-24A » Fri Jan 15, 2016 7:15 am

Daniel asked & wrote:I have been told that if you go after market on projector lights. you end up paying for quality lenses. can someone clarify on that?

I think you mean paying for "Quality Globes" (HID Type) ..... NOT Quality Lenses !

In which case, the answer is "YES"

All aftermarket Projector Type Headlamp Assemblies (such as those on MARS Lighting) are priced & come with standard Halogen Globes, H1, H3, H4, H7, H11, HB3 (9005), HB4 (9006) .

To take full advantage of the Projector Housing (the Bubble Shaped Lense) within the Headlamp Assembly, you will need to purchase a "HID Bulb Conversion Kit" which suits the same globe seat that is standard on your vehicle.

Example: The Lancer OEM Headlamp has HB4 (9006) Globes installed from factory.
So you would naturally purchase a aftermarket "HID Bulb Conversion Kit" with HB4 (9006) wiring connectors which will match/suit the OEM wiring light sockets in your Lancer.

Most Projector Headlamp sellers (such as MARS Lighting) offer HID Bulb Conversion Kits at their checkout for an additional cost.
However the Lighting Market is saturated with HID Kits which range from pretty cheap & crappy to good quality & acceptable.
You can purchase a fairly good quality kit for approx $150 - $200 with confidence.
Steer clear of those EBay kits priced below $100, in most cases they have cheap Ballasts & Globes which don't last long.

If you really want excellent quality, then purchase a Genuine Philips HID Conversion Kit from an Authorised dealer.
Sam ..... *thumb*
Merlinised MIVEC - AspiRe 2.4L

Lancerman
Lancer Newbie
Lancer Newbie

Postby Lancerman » Sun Jan 17, 2016 11:07 am

Fitted the new Osram Nightbreakers this morning , took all of 5 minutes to fit both of them.

Much whiter light than the old yeller candlestick Sylvanias that were in it and they seem to have a higher light height perimeter than the old ones as well ( according to the garage pre and post fitment testing wall ).

That would probably explain the " up to 35 meter more distance "claim on the packet.

I only did the HB4 low beams just to see if they would make a difference, might do the high beams down the track a bit.

Looking at eventually going down the Mars HID lights path but this will do until I save up the $$$.........

The test will be the drive home tonight, will report back here.

aspir3
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby aspir3 » Sun Jan 17, 2016 12:39 pm

Good to hear the news globes are better

Lancerman
Lancer Newbie
Lancer Newbie

Postby Lancerman » Sun Jan 17, 2016 11:02 pm

Ok,

The drive home at night test........

A fairly substantial improvement in whiteness of the light, quite a bit easier to see things now being more whiter compared to the original OEM bulbs yellow output .

Light projection distance is only about 5 to 10 meters more than original , yes an improvement but I thought it might be a little bit more than that, not expecting the "up to 35 meters " better distance but a 15 to 20 meter betterment would have been good.

An improvement on the OEM's they are, and if I had to give it a percentage improvement, probably 20 % on the OEM Sylvania's would be about what I'd give it.

I'll being getting together some $$$ for these Mars lights in HID in coming weeks

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/130626392268 ... EBIDX%3AIT

Anyone bought these ones ?, how did they go fitment wise and what did you think of the light output ?

Are Mars good to deal with ??

Cheers

Shaun Patterson
Lancer VRX/GTS
Lancer VRX/GTS

Postby Shaun Patterson » Mon Jan 18, 2016 8:56 am

they arent legal to run HID in and the projectors are not made for it either they still scatter the light alot

Lancerman
Lancer Newbie
Lancer Newbie

Postby Lancerman » Mon Jan 18, 2016 2:42 pm

OK,

So are any of the Mars Performance lights legal to run HID's in ??

Tried to call them ( Mars ) today but no answer, their website says they are back from holidays today.........but no.........messagebank says they are still away............. *ohwell*

Return to “Lighting”