***** ALERT - Nominations for your new ClubCJ Committee can be made here *****

Factory look DRLs for VRX with Fog Lights

HID's, Bulb's + LED Interior and Exterior Illumination.

Moderators: Moderators, Senior Moderators

Shaun Patterson
Lancer VRX/GTS
Lancer VRX/GTS

Postby Shaun Patterson » Wed Jun 10, 2015 5:12 pm

if you dont mind me asking, what are the yellow and blue thinks behind the top grill

Lancer1993
Genius
Genius

Postby Lancer1993 » Wed Jun 10, 2015 6:53 pm

Hella Horns I got on eBay for $55, first mod I made.

Easy install plugged into the stock horn wiring with no need to put in a relay or remove the bumper. More info on my thread, others have done similar installs here.
http://clubcj.net/viewtopic.php?t=17273 ... sc&start=0
My rides CJ VRX - CC coupe

Lancer1993
Genius
Genius

Postby Lancer1993 » Thu Jun 11, 2015 12:30 pm

All working now!

Just need to tidy up the wiring and paint the chrome is the weekend is dry.

Also with this one they don't actually turn off fully when the head lights come on, a bit like some factory ones the DRL dim when the head lights are on. They obviously come on automatically when the car is started (not when ACC is on) and off when the engine is stopped.

I'll try some better photos later with lower light so the stand out more but I'm pleased, they look stock.

big_d
Lancer VR/GT
Lancer VR/GT

Postby big_d » Thu Jun 11, 2015 2:17 pm

They look great :D

stratman04
Lancer Newbie
Lancer Newbie

Postby stratman04 » Thu Jun 11, 2015 11:50 pm

Nice man, they look good! :D Can't wait to wire mine up. Just want to get on to it already...

Viking
Lancer VR/GT
Lancer VR/GT

Postby Viking » Sat Jun 13, 2015 12:33 pm

I like the look of these. And seeing how idiots seem to keep pulling out in front of me, a set of DRLs are called for.

How hard were they to wire in, and where did you mount the controller box?

Cheers,
V

Lancer1993
Genius
Genius

Postby Lancer1993 » Sat Jun 13, 2015 4:42 pm

I got a electrician to do the wiring but basically one wire goes to earth, one to the headlight wire, so they dim when the head lights are on, not the parkers. And yes these ones dim to about half brightness so more like a lot of factory ones.

The 3rd wire is the hardest, you need to find power which is on when the car is running but not when the ACC are only being used. I did this so if I'm in the car listening to the stereo the DRLs won't be on unless I start the engine. You may want them on with the ACC.

The controller is a box about 4 x 5cm, because of the length of the leads I had to mount it in the bumper. It says its water proofed but I won't want to test that claim. I managed place it on a flap next to the headlight. You'll need to remove the plastic that covers the radiator for the install. Basically the flap is on the left side end of the top part of the grill. I just zip tied it in place. Mainly put it there are it should be pretty well protected from direct water and because of those lead lengths, should be 30-40 cm longer for the drivers side one.

Today I painted the chrome, about to put them back on if dry as it decided to rain again today after I started the work.

I'll try and take some more photos and post them later or tomorrow.

I just like the fact with this kit you get to keep/add fog lights and it looks factory. Just wonder when no one local has them, the company does DRL add ons for loads of makes and models.

Lancer1993
Genius
Genius

Postby Lancer1993 » Sat Jun 13, 2015 5:33 pm

Here is the control box, the shot is from above.
Again this will depend on the DRL kit, I was considering just adding some length to the drivers side wires and placing the controller some place near the fuse box or battery. Might still do this later.

Here are a couple of photos of them fitted and painted satin black, no more chrome!

I did a proper job with the painting, including a primer then satin black and a clear coat, some 12 layers in total!. Which is why it's a little glossy right now.

I would have liked longer ones ;) but it's the best compromise and I get to keep the fog lights.

Viking
Lancer VR/GT
Lancer VR/GT

Postby Viking » Sun Jun 14, 2015 11:20 am

They look fantastic! Thanks heaps for the extra info.

mmjjee
Lancer ES/EX
Lancer ES/EX

Postby mmjjee » Mon Apr 18, 2016 4:45 pm

Just received mine in the mail. I'm not sure if I want to have a go at wiring them up, or get them installed :?: :?:

Viking
Lancer VR/GT
Lancer VR/GT

Postby Viking » Tue Apr 19, 2016 9:45 pm

Mine are in the mail right now...

Lancer1993
Genius
Genius

Postby Lancer1993 » Tue Apr 19, 2016 9:56 pm

If in doubt get a pro to wire them, you should be able to install them and run the wires, it's what I did.
Just get them to find the right connection to wire them so they only come on when you start the engine, not when the key is on ACC. I think with mine they found it in the fuse box.
Helpful hint - with the wires allow enough at the light end so you can comfortably unscrew the fitting and pull the light away, there isn't much to play with but it makes life easier if you ever want/need to remove them.

Will you be painting them flat black or keep the chrome?

mmjjee
Lancer ES/EX
Lancer ES/EX

Postby mmjjee » Tue Apr 19, 2016 10:02 pm

Are yours just wired to headlamps and 'engine power' - all through the fuse box? + wire directly to battery?

I think they will look much better black. Perhaps just a few coats of plastidip. Did you take the actual chrome off and paint it, or just mask everything else? I can't see a way to take the chrome off without breaking it >.<

Lancer1993
Genius
Genius

Postby Lancer1993 » Tue Apr 19, 2016 10:17 pm

I did mine with real paint but it depends on your plans, you can paint them later I guess.

As far as I remember both wires went to the fuse box, but the just need to find something that is only one when the key is on. A qualified auto electrician should be able to do it in just a few minutes. Yes on wire on mine goes to the parkers so they dim when the lights/parkers are on.

mmjjee
Lancer ES/EX
Lancer ES/EX

Postby mmjjee » Wed Apr 20, 2016 7:51 am

Alright awesome.
I assume you just piggy-back a couple fuses for each wire, I'm just not too sure how to go directly to the battery
I'll do it later today, if I have any troubles I'll defiantly take it to an auto electrician

Return to “Lighting”