***** ALERT - Nominations for your new ClubCJ Committee can be made here *****

Multiple HID kits

HID's, Bulb's + LED Interior and Exterior Illumination.

Moderators: Moderators, Senior Moderators

Graham
Post Monster
Post Monster

Multiple HID kits

Postby Graham » Wed Jun 10, 2009 8:34 am

Hey guys,

I purchased my new 09 Lancer a few weeks back and have replaced my low beams/normal lights with a HID kit as I'm used to these and going from HID back to standard lights is a weird difference, anyway.

When I turn on my high beam/fog lights they're more yellowish than the normal driving lights which are white.

According to Sylvania:
Normal lights: 9006 (Installed no problems)
High beams: 9005
Fog lights: H11

I currently have two ballasts - one for each of my headlights so my question is, If i wanted to get more HID kits for my high beam/fog lights would there be any negative impact on anything?

As far as I'm aware they take a bit of voltage to start up but after that they use less power and fog lights are usually always off and high beams are rarely used.

My main concern is not to annoy traffic infront of me or oncoming traffic or blinding them etc. I've already tested my new HID's with two of my mates in their cars (Celica & Commodore) and it didn't seem to be bright for them which is all good :P

dumb&

Postby dumb& » Wed Jun 10, 2009 8:44 am

You can get some for your fogs and high beams, you'll just have to have a ballast for each...I think.

Check out EVOSOUL's blog, he installed some new ones recently if I'm not mistaken...it should have a bit of info on there about them.

Graham
Post Monster
Post Monster

Postby Graham » Wed Jun 10, 2009 9:14 am

ahh okay cheers i'll have a look for that.

There wouldn't be any problems having the extra ballasts would there? apart from the hassle of hiding them away neatly :P
Four wheels move the body, two wheels move the soul.
ImageImage
Daily Driver: Yamaha R1
Weekend Warrior: BMW Z4 Roadster

dumb&

Postby dumb& » Wed Jun 10, 2009 9:24 am

As far as I know, you need a ballast per light globe. Though I haven't really looked into this that much (could be wrong..really no idea just taking a guess) due to the fact they are defectable to not have washers and auto-levelers with HIDs fitted. Pretty expensive exercise if you do get a defect notice.

Cheaper to get better globes and just adjust them properly.

qudans
Lancer VR/GT
Lancer VR/GT

Postby qudans » Wed Jun 10, 2009 12:29 pm

Highbeam HID's is not recommended for normal road use - reason being that highbeams are usually flashed on/off, which isnt not good for the bulbs + u can imagine the strain that would cause on the electrical system (repeated 20,000v charges to ignite the bulbs).

With regards to HID fogs a lot of people have done so without any problems so I'm assuming its safe - especially if your not using them that often anyways.

leevin
Lancer VRX/GTS
Lancer VRX/GTS

Postby leevin » Wed Jun 10, 2009 3:09 pm

qudans is right about the high beams, no point of changing it! e.g.you might need to use them one day on a road trip when its raining... hids and rain dont match, unless you got yellow.
careful on if you change your foglights to HIDs though, if you buy a crappy kit, it'll burn your casing.. and that is not good haha.
07 CJ VRX BLACK LANCER

qudans
Lancer VR/GT
Lancer VR/GT

Postby qudans » Wed Jun 10, 2009 3:15 pm

on a side note (leevin would know this) i bought a crappy hid kit from ebay for 100 bucks and sometimes on start up one light would randomly turn off. but i recently bought and installed a relay harness off ebay, and this fixed the problem right up.

nutterbug
Lancer ES/EX
Lancer ES/EX

Postby nutterbug » Wed Jun 10, 2009 7:02 pm

As far as I know from Phillips, it is illegal to have both high beam HIDs and low beam HIDs. One or the other is fine. However, assuming you don't care then you'd need a balast for each globe but qudans is right, for high beams it's not really worth it.

Each to their own though... :D
8, It's a Melbourne record :P

Graham
Post Monster
Post Monster

Postby Graham » Wed Jun 10, 2009 7:11 pm

Thanks for all the info guys!

Yeah I'll probably skip HID's in the high beams because if I did need to repeatedly flash them it would use a bit to start up, I'll just replace the globes probably.

I'm in no big rush for the fog lights as they look pretty hard to take out, but i'll have a look through the manual on the weekend and if it's no huge hassle I may buy some for the fog lights.

I'll let you guys know how I go with the fog lights if I decide to get those but i'll give the HID high beams a miss :)

Cheers

qudans
Lancer VR/GT
Lancer VR/GT

Postby qudans » Wed Jun 10, 2009 7:57 pm

Any idea what colour your after? I'm thinking about maybe 3000k fogs in the future.

SIR-VRX
Genius
Genius

Postby SIR-VRX » Wed Jun 10, 2009 8:40 pm

Ok a few things I tried biting my tongue on, but I can't help myself.

1. HIDs in lenses not designed for a HID globe are a epic fail. The light distribution and projection is not right and causes many problems, not to mention glare for other drivers. I can go into detail if you like, but there are more reasons they are illegal than just washers and self-levelers like everybody says.

2. HIDs in highbeams (unless in a Bi-Xenon OEM setup, with a projector lens and solenoid flap) are pointless. The time it takes to ignite and reach full output is too long to be used in intermittent periods, like highbeams are (this was mentioned by others) Also, the bulb life will be severely impacted.

3. HIDs in fogs is not the smartest idea either (no offence). Fogs are there to provide visibility in fog or other atmospheric condition which restricts visibility, so having a glarey light like HIDs are as fogs is silly. Driving into fog or heavy mist/rain would be like driving into a wall of bright light. Ideally all fog lights should be yellow, but white is ok, provided it is of a yellowish colour, like stock halogen light. But it seems these last 10 years or so fog light have gone from practical lighting to "wanker lighting" thanks to all the Commodore and Falcon etc drivers and their habits.

So, if you MUST have HIDs, I would suggest you invest in some OEM projectors (like the ones now in Aus on the Lancer Aspire or Evo X MR (Now available on japanparts.com for $3000 a pair last I looked)) or a possible retrofit of a projector housing you current headlights.

And I would definately not recommend the HIDs at all in highbeams or fogs.

Oh and don't bother with HIDs over 5000k, as anything higher is stupid (all OEM HIDs are 4500K-5000K)

Just my 2 cents. if you would like more information on anything I've said, just ask and I'll happily assist or point you in the right direction :D I'm not saying this to shut you down, but just to point out to you some facts with HIDs that not many people realise

Adrian.

qudans
Lancer VR/GT
Lancer VR/GT

Postby qudans » Wed Jun 10, 2009 9:41 pm

What u say is mostly correct.. however don't fully agree with what you say about fogs. Could you explain in further detail why halogen foglights would be superior to 3000K HID's in adverse weather conditions?

leevin
Lancer VRX/GTS
Lancer VRX/GTS

Postby leevin » Wed Jun 10, 2009 9:50 pm

+1 on the info sir-vrx. maybe should make that post a sticky or something?
yeah def on the fogs... even though ive chucked in 8000k lows and bottoms... haha. couldnt help myself.
just waiting for them to release different casing to support hids (as i dont wanna spend 3k on oem). one of mates got different casing which supports hids for $900 AUS for his 08 civic. only crap thing about getting a new car i suppose.. gotta wait for aftermarket parts.
07 CJ VRX BLACK LANCER

SIR-VRX
Genius
Genius

Postby SIR-VRX » Wed Jun 10, 2009 9:54 pm

qudans wrote:What u say is mostly correct.. however don't fully agree with what you say about fogs. Could you explain in further detail why halogen foglights would be superior to 3000K HID's in adverse weather conditions?

Ok, sure! The light emitted by a HID globe is really high in glare, especially when this glare is not contained properly by a lens (projector type preferable). Halogen globes do not have as much glare as a HID globe.

@ leevin:

The japanparts.com assemblies include the ballasts, globes and the assembly from what I understood. All original Mitsubishi genuine :D I should price up the assemblies only at my dealership :)

Graham
Post Monster
Post Monster

Postby Graham » Thu Jun 11, 2009 6:47 am

SIR-VRX wrote:Ok a few things I tried biting my tongue on, but I can't help myself.

1. HIDs in lenses not designed for a HID globe are a epic fail. The light distribution and projection is not right and causes many problems, not to mention glare for other drivers. I can go into detail if you like, but there are more reasons they are illegal than just washers and self-levelers like everybody says.

2. HIDs in highbeams (unless in a Bi-Xenon OEM setup, with a projector lens and solenoid flap) are pointless. The time it takes to ignite and reach full output is too long to be used in intermittent periods, like highbeams are (this was mentioned by others) Also, the bulb life will be severely impacted.

3. HIDs in fogs is not the smartest idea either (no offence). Fogs are there to provide visibility in fog or other atmospheric condition which restricts visibility, so having a glarey light like HIDs are as fogs is silly. Driving into fog or heavy mist/rain would be like driving into a wall of bright light. Ideally all fog lights should be yellow, but white is ok, provided it is of a yellowish colour, like stock halogen light. But it seems these last 10 years or so fog light have gone from practical lighting to "wanker lighting" thanks to all the Commodore and Falcon etc drivers and their habits.

So, if you MUST have HIDs, I would suggest you invest in some OEM projectors (like the ones now in Aus on the Lancer Aspire or Evo X MR (Now available on japanparts.com for $3000 a pair last I looked)) or a possible retrofit of a projector housing you current headlights.

And I would definately not recommend the HIDs at all in highbeams or fogs.

Oh and don't bother with HIDs over 5000k, as anything higher is stupid (all OEM HIDs are 4500K-5000K)

Just my 2 cents. if you would like more information on anything I've said, just ask and I'll happily assist or point you in the right direction :D I'm not saying this to shut you down, but just to point out to you some facts with HIDs that not many people realise

Adrian.

I see, thanks! I don't know thaat much about HID lights so i thought I'd ask first so I didn't do anything stupid and your post answers most of it :)
I won't worry about HID in high beams & I'll probably give the fogs a miss too, I rarely use either of them so it's no biggie

Thanks for clearing it up - now it's time to head to work :P

Return to “Lighting”