***** ALERT - Nominations for your new ClubCJ Committee can be made here *****

HID light

HID's, Bulb's + LED Interior and Exterior Illumination.

Moderators: Moderators, Senior Moderators

curion
INACTIVE Member Account

HID light

Postby curion » Sat Oct 18, 2008 10:51 am

Anyone know what's the legal HID light for Aus road law? I'm planning to buy one off at ebay and install it myself. Please also recommend a good brand for HID light. Thanks.

Ozie
INACTIVE Member Account

Postby Ozie » Mon Oct 20, 2008 10:35 am

6,000k i think? i am planning on getting these Xenon Bulbs.
H8 is the Correct Size!

PIAA TERA 6000K Ultra White LED H8 H11 Fog City DRL NEW
Link: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/PIAA-TER ... enameZWDVW

TheRents
Lancer ES/EX
Lancer ES/EX

Postby TheRents » Mon Oct 20, 2008 11:53 am

How hard would it be to fit the new ones which come on the 09 Lancers? would that be easier???? I wouldent mind fitting HID's to mine....

Josh_Emerton
Lancer MASTER
Lancer MASTER

Postby Josh_Emerton » Mon Oct 20, 2008 12:13 pm

what does HID stand for? i know its the headlight lol.
How hard is it to self-install Xenons?

TheRents
Lancer ES/EX
Lancer ES/EX

Postby TheRents » Mon Oct 20, 2008 12:20 pm

I think it is High Intensity Discharge???? correct me if i am wrong

Tarquin
Lancer Legend
Lancer Legend

Postby Tarquin » Mon Oct 20, 2008 1:39 pm

HID is correct - as above....

BUT - there is a different between Xenon gas and normal Hologen gas too...

HID's should have Xenon gas and should be as bright as anything going around....
The Temp colour (e.g. 6000K) is the brightness temperature, and the higher the number, the more blue they will be..... and I believe 6000K is the max for Australia (Qld. anyway)
About 4000-4500K is classed as a 'white' light output and anything higher than about that is going to give you more 'colour' output (i.e. blue light) than actual output of usable light from your headlights (LUMENS)

Those imaged above are for Fog lights and are LED bulbs - which are a different thing altogether as well....

I have 4500K Halogen lamps in my headlights, so there are not HID's, but still give a white light output rather than the default 'cream' appearance from normal headlights.

Changing a bulb over is very easy.... Adding an HID kit is a bit harder, but still relatively easy.
I'd seriously look into the local State laws for them also, as there are issues with having auto-levelling devices and washers as a standard requirement when having HID's lamps - but I am not 100% about this, or how it applies to each States laws (in Australia).
- CCJ Premium Member #0015.
Tarq's Paintshop

Ozie
INACTIVE Member Account

Postby Ozie » Mon Oct 20, 2008 3:04 pm

Tarquin wrote:HID is correct - as above....

BUT - there is a different between Xenon gas and normal Hologen gas too...

HID's should have Xenon gas and should be as bright as anything going around....
The Temp colour (e.g. 6000K) is the brightness temperature, and the higher the number, the more blue they will be..... and I believe 6000K is the max for Australia (Qld. anyway)
About 4000-4500K is classed as a 'white' light output and anything higher than about that is going to give you more 'colour' output (i.e. blue light) than actual output of usable light from your headlights (LUMENS)

Those imaged above are for Fog lights and are LED bulbs - which are a different thing altogether as well....

I have 4500K Halogen lamps in my headlights, so there are not HID's, but still give a white light output rather than the default 'cream' appearance from normal headlights.

Changing a bulb over is very easy.... Adding an HID kit is a bit harder, but still relatively easy.
I'd seriously look into the local State laws for them also, as there are issues with having auto-levelling devices and washers as a standard requirement when having HID's lamps - but I am not 100% about this, or how it applies to each States laws (in Australia).

+1

SIR-VRX
Genius
Genius

Postby SIR-VRX » Mon Oct 20, 2008 6:25 pm

Ok, HID lighting in vehciles is not legal unless is has specifically been ADR approved for that vehicle. So if it from the factory and sold in Australia on the vehicle as new then it is legal.

Fitting a HID-kit off ebay etc is not only illegal but pointless IMO because of the optics of the reflectors or projectors are different between Halogen lights and Xenon lights. yes the lights look cool and light up the road nicely, but the aiming and cut-off is not correct. That are specific ADRs relating to that btw. Yes, you can adjust your lights down etc, but it doesnt solve the problem the proper way.

ADRs state that any headlight with an output greater than 200 lumens (so HIDs) MUST be auto-levelling and have some form or way of being cleaned (washer jets basically).

Now fitting the projector lenses off a EVO X or Lancer Aspire is possible, but the control for the auto-levelling is not there, nor the washer jets. and an ebay kit will not fit in the socket either (they are designed for Halogen-type sockets) There are ways of doing it though, but a lot dearer than ebay ktis etc.

i'm not trying to talk anybody out of the mod, i'm just stating the facts and just a warning, driving a car on aus road that is not ADR approved is illegal and it will result in a defect or worse (if the DOT pull you over and you get an inspector who know his ADRs.)

The reason I know all this is because i want HIDs of course, but i cringe at the sight of HIDs in normal headlights (HIDs should only really be used in projector style lights). So i did my research, and after countless hours scouring the ADR documents and researching light optics, i came up with my information. I am waiting on a set of OEM Lancer projectors to show up cheap. they are available, but out of my price range. if anyone is interested, i can tell you how to get them, PM me otherwise it looks like advertising.

Sorry to ramble on, but oh well :D

Any questions? fire away! i probably have confused everybody now haha

Ozie
INACTIVE Member Account

Postby Ozie » Mon Oct 20, 2008 6:40 pm

nice info!!!!

Tarquin
Lancer Legend
Lancer Legend

Postby Tarquin » Mon Oct 20, 2008 10:42 pm

SIR-VRX wrote:Ok, HID lighting in vehciles is not legal unless is has specifically been ADR approved for that vehicle. So if it from the factory and sold in Australia on the vehicle as new then it is legal.

Fitting a HID-kit off ebay etc is not only illegal but pointless IMO because of the optics of the reflectors or projectors are different between Halogen lights and Xenon lights. yes the lights look cool and light up the road nicely, but the aiming and cut-off is not correct. That are specific ADRs relating to that btw. Yes, you can adjust your lights down etc, but it doesnt solve the problem the proper way.

ADRs state that any headlight with an output greater than 200 lumens (so HIDs) MUST be auto-levelling and have some form or way of being cleaned (washer jets basically).

Now fitting the projector lenses off a EVO X or Lancer Aspire is possible, but the control for the auto-levelling is not there, nor the washer jets. and an ebay kit will not fit in the socket either (they are designed for Halogen-type sockets) There are ways of doing it though, but a lot dearer than ebay ktis etc.

i'm not trying to talk anybody out of the mod, i'm just stating the facts and just a warning, driving a car on aus road that is not ADR approved is illegal and it will result in a defect or worse (if the DOT pull you over and you get an inspector who know his ADRs.)

The reason I know all this is because i want HIDs of course, but i cringe at the sight of HIDs in normal headlights (HIDs should only really be used in projector style lights). So i did my research, and after countless hours scouring the ADR documents and researching light optics, i came up with my information. I am waiting on a set of OEM Lancer projectors to show up cheap. they are available, but out of my price range. if anyone is interested, i can tell you how to get them, PM me otherwise it looks like advertising.

Sorry to ramble on, but oh well :D

Any questions? fire away! i probably have confused everybody now haha

+2

*That was the other thing I couldn't remember - Needing the projector style headlights to contain and control the HID's....

I assume from your research then, if you have the OEM Projectors, that deals with the auto-levelling and focus of the lamp under the ADR, but what about washers? R U going to have to install those into your bumper too, or do they come with the new clusters?

I did the cheap and effective option by getting 4500K Halogen bulbs which give me a white light. I did it with both Low and High beams and the Fogs...
Also used White LED sidelights and the whole front now outputs a nice white light....

You miss out on some light clarity and strength around the time of 'Dusk' when the light is failing, but apart for that - all good
- CCJ Premium Member #0015.

Tarq's Paintshop

SIR-VRX
Genius
Genius

Postby SIR-VRX » Mon Oct 20, 2008 10:51 pm

the way gas discharge lighting produces light is completely different to a halogen bulb. a halogen bulb has a filament, and the light is more concentrated around the filament, as the gas doesn't ignite, only the filament glows. in gas dischage lights, the gas actually discharges light rather than a filament. think of fluroescent lighting in your home. same prinicple basically. i'm a sparky by trade as well as a car and electronics nerd lol

the OEM projectors don't exactly solve all the problems unfortunately. I don't know for sure if the auto-levelling will work, as the clusters have themselves an ECU attached to them, and they probably aren't included in the price of the lights. also, there are sensors in the front and back of the car which i know aren't on my VRX. So that idea gets put out the window lol.

the washers are a serperate unit, once again has its own ECU (what doesn't in this car aye!!) and different light stalk attached to the steering column, as well as the jets themselves, pumps and different washer bottles.

a lot of things missing that are a lot of trouble to retrofit. so maybe at least using the OEM lights, and forget about the levelling and washers. at least they look OEM but still not 100% ADR approved.

SIR-VRX
Genius
Genius

Postby SIR-VRX » Fri Oct 24, 2008 9:43 pm

CJ owners may find this of interest too. i knew it couldn't be done easily!!

http://www.mitsubishi-forums.com/t41092 ... ectors.htm

Josh_Emerton
Lancer MASTER
Lancer MASTER

Postby Josh_Emerton » Fri Oct 24, 2008 9:49 pm

So how easy is it to install Xenon headlights Sir?

SIR-VRX
Genius
Genius

Postby SIR-VRX » Fri Oct 24, 2008 9:58 pm

Josh_Emerton wrote:So how easy is it to install Xenon headlights Sir?

Properly with OEM or retrofitted projectors is proving to be tricky, but not impossible.

Easy way is to just buy a HID-kit (not just "HID style/look" bulbs) and install that. but its not the proper way nor legal way

Return to “Lighting”