***** ALERT - Nominations for your new ClubCJ Committee can be made here *****

HID light

HID's, Bulb's + LED Interior and Exterior Illumination.

Moderators: Moderators, Senior Moderators

Josh_Emerton
Lancer MASTER
Lancer MASTER

Postby Josh_Emerton » Fri Oct 24, 2008 10:01 pm

So is Xenon HID no matter what?

SIR-VRX
Genius
Genius

Postby SIR-VRX » Fri Oct 24, 2008 10:05 pm

there is HID (High intensity Dischage) aka Xenon lights. the kits cost between $200 and $800 depending on store and quality. avoid ebay kits if you can, tend to be cheap chinese rubisih.

some places sell "HID bulbs" which are just normal halogen bulbs coloured blue or contain a small amount of xenon gas. these are cheaper at around $50 but they are not HID lights. they are just halogen ie just like standard bulbs. most places sell them as "performance bulbs" or what have you, but some dodgy places and ebay market them as "Xenon" or "HID" when clearly they are not.

Josh_Emerton
Lancer MASTER
Lancer MASTER

Postby Josh_Emerton » Fri Oct 24, 2008 10:13 pm

Oh right so officially proper Xenon is HID. So to legally install Xenon (by Xenon, I mean blue) headlights is expensive and impractical, though it looks good?

What about actually just replacing the current bulb with a blue one?

SIR-VRX
Genius
Genius

Postby SIR-VRX » Fri Oct 24, 2008 10:23 pm

you can buy a great number of different types of headlight bulbs that are bluer than the stock ones,and just fit right in, unlike HID conversions which are more complex with ballasts and relays etc.

I have Narva Arctic Blues in my car and I have had them in previous cars. they are whiter than stock, but not too blue. narva make other bluer ones, but not for HB3 and HB4 sockets (high and low beams of the CJ Lancer)

other brands like phillips have a big range too, in various bluenesses (lol)

check out these:

http://media.narva.com.au/books/4.pdf

http://www.lighting.philips.com.au/au/e ... iv_id=cat2

the globes in the CJ high and low beams are HB3 and HB4 aka 9005 and 9006

hope that helps

Josh_Emerton
Lancer MASTER
Lancer MASTER

Postby Josh_Emerton » Fri Oct 24, 2008 10:32 pm

haha my dad used to work for Phillips

Tarquin
Lancer Legend
Lancer Legend

Postby Tarquin » Sat Oct 25, 2008 9:05 pm

Josh_Emerton wrote:What about actually just replacing the current bulb with a blue one?

Why do ppl insist on thinking a blue light is better than a white one??

Blue light outputting headlights (non HID above 4500k) actually output less light than a standard bulb or white bulb (Narva arctic for example)

Anything above that temp is just silly imo, as it is actually giving you less light on the road at night - which is the whole point in having headlights....

Now if you had real HID's on the other hand, then I'd still only go as high as 5000k or so...
You should get a better output of light overall due to the HID's themselves, sure, but the higher you go in colour temp, the lower the output of light it will be (with the same wattage)
I'd still only want white (4-5000k) anyhow, for the others on the road mainly

And - if you get pulled up by a Qld. Transport guy having a bad day, he'll ping you for having 'Blue' lights at the front of the car - which is actually illegal here on public roads as they are 'reserved' for emergency vehicles (just as red and green are too)

** If you see anyone or know anyone in Qld. using blue or green LEDs (anything not white) as sidelights, they will get a ticket and/or they will default their cars' road worthy certificate.
I had a m8 who had them, and he was driving around with his sidelights on and foglights.... it was the reason they pulled him over and the excuse they used to go over the whole car with a fine tooth comb - They ended up nailed him for several other infringements, including the LED's
- CCJ Premium Member #0015.
Tarq's Paintshop

SIR-VRX
Genius
Genius

Postby SIR-VRX » Sat Oct 25, 2008 9:32 pm

Well put Tarquin. I totally agree.

Not all the lights are ADR approved. Narva Arctic Blues for eg are. Most of the Philips range are not approved from memory.

The regulation in QLD specifically states

"Replacement head light bulbs must
carry equivalent markings to the original bulb
(e.g. an ‘E’ mark, H4, ADR 51/.. or ECE 37/..)."

Using LEDs as parking lights etc is legal provided they are white ones of course.

Also, driving with foglights on except in "fog or other atmospheric condition which restricts visibility" is illegal and can warrant a fine and los of demerit points. But people still do it and i personally can't stand it.

Josh_Emerton
Lancer MASTER
Lancer MASTER

Postby Josh_Emerton » Sat Oct 25, 2008 9:58 pm

Vows to no longer turn foglights on. I used to turn em on in town cos they look pretty dam good (the 4headlight thing) but i didnt realise u could lose points. I only have one left...

JmS_LaNcEr_08
Lancer Newbie
Lancer Newbie

Postby JmS_LaNcEr_08 » Sun Mar 22, 2009 8:06 am

what.. if you had HID wouldnt it get affected with the DRL?? bcuz i have DRl on my lancer and i dont know how to bypass that crap... im trying to put my HIDs i bought but it started to flicker so i took it out.. any1 can help me? its soo annoying to have DRL....
RRM SRI
RRM PULLY
HKS CUSTOM EXHAUST
REAR LIP
HIDS DDM
And a happy Lancer driver!

Speedie
Lancer MASTER
Lancer MASTER

Postby Speedie » Sun Mar 22, 2009 9:09 am

Your dealer can turn off your DRL's with the diagonistics tool. As for HIDs in QLD don't do it, not worth the problems they cause. Most of the time the kits don't come with complete wiring and you have to make your own harness. I got one for my commodore install was very easy using what they gave me but when I tested them different story. Low beam worked fine but switch to high beam and had a feed back from the HIDs blew every fuse in the car (10000 volts can do that)

[Evo X Brembos] [Evo X Intercooler] [Evo X UICP]

leevin
Lancer VRX/GTS
Lancer VRX/GTS

Postby leevin » Sun Mar 22, 2009 9:19 am

im running 8000k low beams and 8000k foglights.
havent been spoken to about them at random breath tests (and im a p plate). but im thiking about swapping to 6000k low beams =]
07 CJ VRX BLACK LANCER

RedCanuck
INACTIVE Member Account

Postby RedCanuck » Tue Jun 30, 2009 12:09 pm

Hi Sir VRX & Ozzie, thanks for the heads up on the HID's as I am looking into right now for the Red Rocket.....Cheers
BertMans-Red-Rocket

craigeth
Lancer VR/GT
Lancer VR/GT

Postby craigeth » Thu May 26, 2011 2:22 pm

to completely bring this thread up from the grave, i just want to find out something.

the narva arctic bulbs are not HID lights, am i right? is that what SIR-VRX is saying? the narva arctic blues output about 4500K yeah? This is that nice pure white light that's whiter than the stock cream?

I definitely don't want blue, as that would look stupid and call attention from the cops, but I want whiter lights than the stock cream ones.

Just want to get this clear before I go out and buy new bulbs.
Twenty Three Frames - Photography and Video Production
www.twentythreeframes.com

rayray
Lancer VRX/GTS
Lancer VRX/GTS

Postby rayray » Thu May 26, 2011 2:46 pm

craigeth wrote:to completely bring this thread up from the grave, i just want to find out something.

the narva arctic bulbs are not HID lights, am i right? is that what SIR-VRX is saying? the narva arctic blues output about 4500K yeah? This is that nice pure white light that's whiter than the stock cream?

I definitely don't want blue, as that would look stupid and call attention from the cops, but I want whiter lights than the stock cream ones.

Just want to get this clear before I go out and buy new bulbs.

Yes thats correct..the narva arctic bulbs are just halogen bulbs. The 4500k will definitely be whiter than the stock bulbs but I wouldn't say they're pure white light. If you put those bulbs in and then also change your parker bulbs to white LED's, you'll find the parker LED's are a lot whiter.

Return to “Lighting”