***** ALERT - Nominations for your new ClubCJ Committee can be made here *****

HID light

HID's, Bulb's + LED Interior and Exterior Illumination.

Moderators: Moderators, Senior Moderators

milobob
Lancer Legend
Lancer Legend

Postby milobob » Thu May 26, 2011 6:22 pm

Parker LEDs tend to be a bit on the bluer side based on experience.

4300-4500K is the colour of the actual HIDs on other models.

Anything higher tends to be a bit blue. I use 4000k - which is white enough for me yet has enough light output + will last longer as well.

Remember, the higher the temperature (ie. whiter) the shorter the life of the bulb and the less light output you will get. This is because of the blue tinting on the bulb itself will reduce light output. To compensate, to give a higher light output, the bulbs will burn harder so hence the shorter life.
2010 RenaultSport Megane RS250 Cup Trophee (Xenons+Leather+Front Parkers)

washman
Lancer ES/EX
Lancer ES/EX

xenons

Postby washman » Sat Jun 04, 2011 10:27 pm

has anyone fitted Auto Platonium's xenons, if so does any one have any feedback? here's a link to them

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Auto-Platoni ... 543wt_1139

Slash
Lancer Ralliart
Lancer Ralliart

Postby Slash » Sun Jun 05, 2011 1:12 am

Nothing on those particular units...

I had Xenon OZ Sports kit on my old DC5R, very exxy.. but the best set of HIDs (low beam only) I've ever owned, better than my X's OEM HIDs.

Went looking for another set of Xenon OZ HIDs for the wifes car, but the reseller in sydney suggested I try GE HIDS, just as good 1/2 the price of Xenon OZ gear... Low beams where not as good, as the Xenon OZ, but the High beams turned night into day, very nice.

A mate of mine sells a HID kit which he claims is better and cheaper than the GE kit, but I didnt find out till after I installed... Going to try and hit him up for a demo low beam kit to compare the two.

Cheap HIDs can incorrectly spray light all over the place making it dangerous for oncoming drivers
Also cheap HID kits have been known to
fry a cars electrics

Hes a colour guide for you as well.

washman
Lancer ES/EX
Lancer ES/EX

xenons

Postby washman » Sun Jun 05, 2011 8:27 am

How much did they cost you and where did u get them from ? thanks

Slash
Lancer Ralliart
Lancer Ralliart

Postby Slash » Sun Jun 05, 2011 10:11 am

Xenon OZ I got direct through Xenon OZ's website
Prices range from $995 - $2000 back in 2004... Might have come down as more good quality cheaper HIDs have hit the Australian Market.

GE HIDs are about $385, Got them from Mannell Motors in Thornleigh

LS Audio (Hurstville) have a set that they say is better than the GE's for $150 range I think, but I haven't used them yet.

ofey
Alumni
Alumni

Postby ofey » Thu Jun 16, 2011 9:23 pm

@TypeG: Cheap advertising again?
Beeble tooned MY08 OEd. w/ RA BKit+SWheel
Cosworth Panel Filter w/ RA Intake | SuperCircuit 4-2-1 Headers | Creat’d Ti-tipped SS exhaust
BC BR-type Coilovers | UR + Whiteline Bars
EBC GreenStuff Pads | RDA Rotors

Blakey
Lancer MASTER
Lancer MASTER

Postby Blakey » Thu Jun 16, 2011 9:38 pm

Slash wrote:Nothing on those particular units...

I had Xenon OZ Sports kit on my old DC5R, very exxy.. but the best set of HIDs (low beam only) I've ever owned, better than my X's OEM HIDs.

Went looking for another set of Xenon OZ HIDs for the wifes car, but the reseller in sydney suggested I try GE HIDS, just as good 1/2 the price of Xenon OZ gear... Low beams where not as good, as the Xenon OZ, but the High beams turned night into day, very nice.

A mate of mine sells a HID kit which he claims is better and cheaper than the GE kit, but I didnt find out till after I installed... Going to try and hit him up for a demo low beam kit to compare the two.

Cheap HIDs can incorrectly spray light all over the place making it dangerous for oncoming drivers
Also cheap HID kits have been known to
fry a cars electrics

Hes a colour guide for you as well.

holy fishstick batman my sales techniques are tingling lol

so your telling me 2 identical HID bulbs, can spray light differently?? purely because one costs hundreds of dollars more??
IF YOUR NOT LIVING ON THE EDGE YOUR TAKING UP TOO MUCH ROOM

Slash
Lancer Ralliart
Lancer Ralliart

Postby Slash » Thu Jun 16, 2011 11:06 pm

lol
Incorrectly setup lights will spray light regardless of cost...
They guys that sent up my Xenon Oz exxy HIDs screwed the left side install... I was blinding people all over the place...

Some of the earlier cheap ones would just spray light no matter how hard you try to set them up...

Havent you ever seen a car driving the other way with its low beams getting you right in the eye... They are normally bad HID kits.

milobob
Lancer Legend
Lancer Legend

Postby milobob » Thu Jun 16, 2011 11:13 pm

All HIDs seem to blind me... AFAIK, our reflector systems have been set up for halogen bulbs - so they spray 4% of the light around the main beam area - whereas projectors or reflector systems designed for HIDs spray 1.5% (to compensate for the 300% light output). This is what contributes to the glare.

Well, thats from what I've been reading.... all I can say is non-OEM HIDs blind.. heaps... especially if you are an oncoming car in country roads!!!!!!
2010 RenaultSport Megane RS250 Cup Trophee (Xenons+Leather+Front Parkers)

Blakey
Lancer MASTER
Lancer MASTER

Postby Blakey » Thu Jun 16, 2011 11:13 pm

Slash wrote:lol
Incorrectly setup lights will spray light regardless of cost...
They guys that sent up my Xenon Oz exxy HIDs screwed the left side install... I was blinding people all over the place...

Some of the earlier cheap ones would just spray light no matter how hard you try to set them up...

Havent you ever seen a car driving the other way with its low beams getting you right in the eye... They are normally bad HID kits.

noo they are badly set up headlights not HID kits, the bulbs can only sit in the housing one way, and all HID bulbs, are made the same, yer some cheaper ones, might have lower quality glass and gas, but the patten of light is the same to all bulbs, unless the bulb is physically made different, (which they are not).

that spray of like you say, is from the difference in beam patten from a Halogen to gas discharge, and the increase in unfocused brightness. if you could put a halogen that was the same lumen output as a HID kit it too would produce, that blinding glare you get from HID's.

Slash
Lancer Ralliart
Lancer Ralliart

Postby Slash » Thu Jun 16, 2011 11:30 pm

Blakey wrote:noo they are badly set up headlights not HID kits, the bulbs can only sit in the housing one way, and all HID bulbs, are made the same, yer some cheaper ones, might have lower quality glass and gas, but the patten of light is the same to all bulbs, unless the bulb is physically made different, (which they are not).

that spray of like you say, is from the difference in beam patten from a Halogen to gas discharge, and the increase in unfocused brightness. if you could put a halogen that was the same lumen output as a HID kit it too would produce, that blinding glare you get from HID's.

Not so the Xenon OZ kit I had in my Teg they (Sydney recommended fitter) had to make brackets to fit it... Probably why they screwed up one side... fookers also took 4 hours and charged me for it.. $340!

As for bulb shape, I havent looked closely enough to comment...

Blakey
Lancer MASTER
Lancer MASTER

Postby Blakey » Thu Jun 16, 2011 11:38 pm

Slash wrote:
Not so the Xenon OZ kit I had in my Teg they (Sydney recommended fitter) had to make brackets to fit it... Probably why they screwed up one side... fookers also took 4 hours and charged me for it.. $340!

As for bulb shape, I havent looked closely enough to comment...

you do know all aftermarket HID kits come in the same bulb type as your car and are direct plug and play only mounting needed is for the ballast,

and would in no way alter how the light is put out from the bulb. if someone had to make a bracket to hold the bulb then they completely fucked up something as simple as swapping over a bulb.

unless your physically putting a projector into your stock housing, the job take 5-10min to put them in. and there is no way to change how the light outputs from the bulb, and the only changing factor is the level of the headlight housing,

Blakey
Lancer MASTER
Lancer MASTER

Postby Blakey » Thu Jun 16, 2011 11:44 pm

TypeG wrote:4300k should be the safest to use

saw your kits on your site, nice markup you got on those $35 kits from china ;)

wish i was making that much of the same ones i import,

Slash
Lancer Ralliart
Lancer Ralliart

Postby Slash » Thu Jun 16, 2011 11:46 pm

Fully aware of it... I couldnt figure out why they did it.. maybe they where just screwing me for extra labour... but they really fooked the left side.
I could light up the back of a semi trailer with my left headlight before I had if fixed.

Yup and they are a tuning company here... Jace has used them! ;)
maybe HID kits where a little much for them! :)

Return to “Lighting”