***** ALERT - Nominations for your new ClubCJ Committee can be made here *****

OEM Evo projector headlights

HID's, Bulb's + LED Interior and Exterior Illumination.

Moderators: Moderators, Senior Moderators

JohnoFrost
Lancer Learner
Lancer Learner

Postby JohnoFrost » Wed Feb 06, 2013 12:45 am

Any news on the RHD Projector Headlamps? I know auto parts group sell OEM ones through my work for likr $700 for the pair!

ofey
Alumni
Alumni

Postby ofey » Wed Feb 06, 2013 6:26 am

Wow! A$700 a pair for OEM Projectors?
I'd buy them in a heartbeat!

Prices only go one way

DOWN.

The LED tail lamps were a prime e.g. of how demand and supply works.
If you have something new, sellers will try to maximise their profit by working off the uniqueness of their product.

If you make them HOLD it long enough, they will have to start dropping the price cos all businesses have to eventually sell their inventory.

All OEM parts will also eventually drop in price.
I remember selling Ralliart mats for an Evo IX for as low as A$50 when PMR made it end of line.

But if you can get projectors from the current Evo X MR for A$700 a pair, I think I'd bite. They used to be A$1300 a side.

Aftermarket, some people have been trying to do over A$1000 for a RHD pair.
Beeble tooned MY08 OEd. w/ RA BKit+SWheel
Cosworth Panel Filter w/ RA Intake | SuperCircuit 4-2-1 Headers | Creat’d Ti-tipped SS exhaust
BC BR-type Coilovers | UR + Whiteline Bars
EBC GreenStuff Pads | RDA Rotors

zedd82
Lancer Evolution
Lancer Evolution

Postby zedd82 » Wed Feb 06, 2013 6:37 am

ofey wrote:Wow! A$700 a pair for OEM Projectors? Id buy them in a heartbeat!

Same here.

Most of the projector headlights you see on eBay etc are halogen type projectors and are not suitable for hid bulbs (different lenses and no shields). Because of this they are suitable for either RHD or LHD.

Hid projectors have shields in them that change them from low beam to high beam in the one light and the shields are different between the right and left headlights which makes overseas ones not suitable for Australia
Club CJ's fastest and most powerful Ralliart 349.8kw/ 469hp atw 12.068s 187km/h

mickyoz

Postby mickyoz » Wed Feb 06, 2013 10:26 am

Wow $700 a pair, for OEM? I'd like to see that :)

So basically...

They will have a hole on the bottom of the headlight where the OEM ballast would attach through, use a D2S bulb as the OEM do, and have motors for leveling which will not work on a standard lancer unless you have some fun in re-wiring the main plug on the OEM headlight.

The AFS won't work unless you install all the components for it (who cares though people say it doesn't make that much of a big deal) I know someone who has managed to do it... cha ching!

On top of that, you will need an igniter for the bulb, a decent one mind you, I've seen cheap ones melt and blow up, and then there is the ballast, you can use yumcha ones that can have a connector for an aftermarket igniter.

Also HID headlights don't necessarily need to be bi-xenon (high and low from the projector) there are plenty of OEM HID makes and models that use separate HIGH and LOW HID in a headlight.

Ofey tell me how much you can get the Evo IX mats now, then get back to me. Yes things do drop, but when manufacturers stop making a particular product and someone by chance hoards them, they are worth gold.

ofey
Alumni
Alumni

Postby ofey » Wed Feb 06, 2013 11:42 am

Point was PMR was clearing Evo IX mats at that time because the car was no longer current. Superceded by Evo X. That's why they got rid of it. Happens every year to footy guernsys and soccer jerseys

Sellers can hoard an item but that's myopic because prices only ever go down. And rival sellers / copy cats will come round in a couple of years.

Look at the LED tail lamps on my car, I told the manufacturer, sell them cheap and hit the market hard. He insisted keeping the value, well a smart chinese guy bought it, made moulds out of the items he bought and now you can get my design of LED tail lamps for as low as A$280 delivered. Not made by the original manufacturer.
Why can he sell at this price? Because he had no R&D cost. He simply copied what was available. Again, prices only ever go one way.

The CJ is reaching end of line. Much like the CH (Evo IX was based on the CH). At the end manufacturers will drop the price of things. Eventually Mits will drop the price of their A$1300 a side HID projector shells. Look at the price of a RA bumper bar. It's dropped A$100 in the last year.

Aftermarket Japanese car parts NEVER appreciate in value. A select few do but if it's a 3rd party aftermarket HID OEM copy head lamp, I'm not sure that falls into the category of appreciating because of uniqueness.
It's NOT gold.

I'll paint you 2 other pictures e.g.:
If I told you a set of Evo X BBS rims would cost A$800, you'd say that's cheap.
But if I sold you say a GReddy axle back Exhaust for A$800, you'd say that's expensive.
Now
If I told you I could get you a RHD version HID projectors for the Lancer for A$1200, what would you say?
If I told you then I could get you the same HID projectors but it's NOT RHD and made for US modes but for A$800, which would you buy?

So firstly, people attach value to an item. Market prices affect very much how we view value.

There are clowns here who would stick a HID bulb into reflector housings and say it's ok, they're not hurting anyone, Do you think whether the fact that it's got the right cut off is going to bother them?? As long as it looks the part, who cares?

The question at the end of the day depends which side of the fence one is sitting on.

Selling is quite an art.
Most supplier start out thinking they're doing the market a favour by bringing hard to get parts to the masses.

However, there's a difference.
It's their rice bowl they're attempting to earn.
To most of us here, buying parts for our cars is a hobby.
We will still have to measure the long and short of putting A$X into beautifying a car that's constantly getting older.
You'll never recover the value you put in, so the sensible thing is to err on the side of caution.

From a mental standpoint:
Seller has already plonked money down to invest in the item they're selling.
Buyer on the other hand has NOT plonked money anywhere.

Who do you think can hold on longer to what they have?

Just my 2cents.

Cosworth Panel Filter w/ RA Intake | SuperCircuit 4-2-1 Headers | Creat’d Ti-tipped SS exhaust

mickyoz

Postby mickyoz » Wed Feb 06, 2013 12:38 pm

I think that was at least 5 cents thrown in there, obviously geared towards you know who lol .. all good :)

ofey wrote:Point was PMR was clearing Evo IX mats at that time because the car was no longer current. Superceded by Evo X. Thats why they got rid of it. Happens every year to footy guernsys and soccer jerseys Sellers can hoard an item but thats myopic because prices only ever go down. And rival sellers / copy cats will come round in a couple of years. Aftermarket Japanese car parts NEVER appreciate in value. A select few do but if it's a 3rd party aftermarket HID OEM copy head lamp, I'm not sure that falls into the category of appreciating because of uniqueness.
It's NOT gold.

Copy yes, but I was mainly referring to something original, there are still going to be people who want original and will pay a premium for it, again it all depends on which they prefer, original or aftermarket. Personally I wouldn't care and go aftermarket on an item like carpet :)

ofey wrote:If I told you I could get you a RHD version HID projectors for the Lancer for A$1200, what would you say?

If they came with all the other gear, ballasts and igniter and bulbs etc, I'd say hit me up a set!

ofey wrote:If I told you then I could get you the same HID projectors but it's NOT RHD and made for US modes but for A$800, which would you buy?

I'd buy the Australian, I'd rather spend an extra $400 in case something went wrong or some other issue, I did that with my BBS wheels, and one was a different colour...2 months later!!! it was resolved. Mind you I saved more than double the price, so it was a no brainer for me 33% difference in price isn't going to sway me to buy from USA.... that's me though. It's more than the dollar value at the end of the day.

A seller will never get back the value they put into something, even if it's a full blown setup like the OEM style projectors for example on eBay in Oz at the moment ;)

At the end of the day, it may look like they went out of their way to do something that they didn't have to do, and could of just sold the headlights as is like the other US sellers, and just flog off the headlights on their own. Maybe they wanted to do something special for the lancer guys in Oz... how nice :P

ofey wrote:Who do you think can hold on longer to what they have?

That's pretty obvious. In the short term things come at a premium when they are introduced, and sometimes you won't find anything else available similar, because the vendor isn't going to put the effort to put something special together.

Nothing lasts forever, and prices do drop, specials etc. Those people run businesses at the end of the day, they plonk money in their pocket and employees pockets, so they can plonk money in their everyday living. You either make a profit (within reason of course) or you sink....

Now where are these $700 OEM projectors! :)

whitenight
Lancer Legend
Lancer Legend

Postby whitenight » Wed Feb 06, 2013 1:07 pm

who's got these oem hid's for $700 do tell ofey i'll have a set

ofey
Alumni
Alumni

Postby ofey » Wed Feb 06, 2013 1:23 pm

I've written to the thread starter to ask.

RyanMK
Lancer Legend
Lancer Legend

Postby RyanMK » Wed Feb 06, 2013 3:46 pm

*watches with interest!* :)
VG/Ultra Racing/Whiteline/Work/Ralliart/Supercircuit/Cosworth/Pioneer/BC/Recaro

mickyoz

Postby mickyoz » Tue Feb 12, 2013 1:41 pm

*yawn*

ofey
Alumni
Alumni

Postby ofey » Tue Feb 12, 2013 2:02 pm

JohnoFrost wrote:Unfortunately I can't get you that price for them as that is my discounted price though my work. If you call auto parts group they may be able to do a deal.

Which of you have connections with the AutoParts Group?

mickyoz

Postby mickyoz » Tue Feb 12, 2013 2:29 pm

Ok I know this mob... yes they do OEM, mostly aftermarket.

So I can only presume he is talking about the actual OEM HID DEPO headlights, that are suited for existing HID factory lancers.

We have those versions also, and will do less that $700. Just bare bones though, no motors, no ballasts, igniters, bulbs, etc etc.

rokpapaziz
Lancer Legend
Lancer Legend

Postby rokpapaziz » Tue Feb 12, 2013 2:33 pm

mickyoz wrote:Ok I know this mob... yes they do OEM, mostly aftermarket. So I can only presume he is talking about the actual OEM HID DEPO headlights, that are suited for existing HID factory lancers. We have those versions also, and will do less that $700. Just bare bones though, no motors, no ballasts, igniters, bulbs, etc etc.

So how do you go about getting all the other bits?

Momengah
Lancer Ralliart
Lancer Ralliart

Postby Momengah » Tue Feb 12, 2013 2:35 pm

I second Marcus's question. I wonder how much it would cost to put together a replica HID set with all the ballasts and leveling gear etc
-Beeble spec custom tune (182kw 383nm)
-Cosworth Air Filter
-Evo X BOV
-Evo X Intercooler
-Grimmspeed 3 port
-Ultimate Racing UPICP & LICP
-HFC & Ultimate Racing catback

Return to “Lighting”