***** ALERT - Nominations for your new ClubCJ Committee can be made here *****

Daytime Running Lights

HID's, Bulb's + LED Interior and Exterior Illumination.

Moderators: Moderators, Senior Moderators

deesport
INACTIVE Member Account

Daytime Running Lights

Postby deesport » Sun Apr 26, 2009 7:32 am

Just installed the HID kit i purchased...Funny....i figured I would need a relay to stop the daytime running lights. I remember reading somewhere that it is programmed in the ECU? so it is almost impossible to turn them off...But anyway i installed them...and my DRL's stopped working which is great. however...i cant turn my car on THEN turn my headlights on for my HID's to power on...I have to turn my lights on, then turn my car on and all is good. If i do not do that, no lights power on lol, which is great because now at least my HID's do not stay on 24/7.

But my question is, is there anyway to avoid having to go through all that...someone said something about putting a DRL relay in the relay box? would that work?

if anyone has some info, please let me know.

Thank you in advance!
- deesport -
<b><u>Don't forget to upload your images for free with ClubCJ</b></u>:
http://www.rootupload.com

<b><u>In the New York area?</b></u>
http://www.tunenyc.com
Coming Soon!

Tarquin
Lancer Legend
Lancer Legend

Postby Tarquin » Sun Apr 26, 2009 12:57 pm

We don't have the DRL issue here in Australia, luckily....

But it sounds like you've wired your HID's to something wrong..... that's sounds very odd....
- CCJ Premium Member #0015.
Tarq's Paintshop

qudans
Lancer VR/GT
Lancer VR/GT

Postby qudans » Sun Apr 26, 2009 1:39 pm

You can buy a DRL bypass, I'm sure someone over on pl.net will be better able to help you with that.

With regards to your current issue. With your car, once you turn on the engine, the DRL's should automatically turn on. This sends a lower voltage through to your lights than if they were turned to 'ON', and if you have HID's this usually results in flickering as they aren't recieving the necessary voltage to run correctly.

Atm you say you can turn them on, when your engine is off (hence your DRL's are off). But once you turn on your engine, you say they won't activate? I'm not an expert but it could be because your HID's aren't particularly liking the DRL's and are automatically shutting themselves down. Many newer digital ballasts work this way, and shut themselves off as a safety feature. However, it does sound rather strange and you should probably double check your installation etc etc. AND, its probably not that good to turn on your HID's before you start your car either, because the initial huge voltage required to ignite the HID's at startup, is very stressful on your battery, and so you should probably turn them on a good few seconds after turning on your car to avoid this.

Again I'm simply speculating, but thats what i believe COULD be what is happening.

Speedie
Lancer MASTER
Lancer MASTER

Postby Speedie » Sun Apr 26, 2009 4:07 pm

No what he is saying is right. In the states they come standard with DRLs and because of the lower voltage HIDs wont start. I've read on other forums that they had the dealer turn off the DRL option via the car sub menu using the MUTIII computer.

[Evo X Brembos] [Evo X Intercooler] [Evo X UICP]

qudans
Lancer VR/GT
Lancer VR/GT

Postby qudans » Sun Apr 26, 2009 4:24 pm

Though you might find someone who would do that for you, i believe it would be a legal issue with the dealer turning off your DRL's for u like that

Speedie
Lancer MASTER
Lancer MASTER

Postby Speedie » Sun Apr 26, 2009 9:31 pm

I believe its not yet a legal requirement for the DRLs to remain set to the on setting, Its more of a safety thing. So dealers are allowed to change the setting

[Evo X Brembos] [Evo X Intercooler] [Evo X UICP]

Tarquin
Lancer Legend
Lancer Legend

Postby Tarquin » Sun Apr 26, 2009 10:17 pm

Speedie wrote:I believe its not yet a legal requirement for the DRLs to remain set to the on setting, Its more of a safety thing. So dealers are allowed to change the setting

Not yet, here in Oz... No, but deesport is in the U.S. & therefore they have to have DRL on at all times.... Would be illegal to turn them off and I wouldn't expect a Dealer to be allowed to do it.

** You see it on some of the more recent Euro Cars who don't change their models too much from their European range and send us there UK version.... Volvo's and BMW's have them alot on their rear quarters
- CCJ Premium Member #0015.

Tarq's Paintshop

deesport
INACTIVE Member Account

Postby deesport » Mon Apr 27, 2009 5:46 am

ok ill break it down again.
Everything is installed properly, the HID's work fine.

The DRL is currently off, which is what I wanted and the HID's turn on when I want them to...

During the day, all i do is turn my car on, and the headlights are off. Which is perfect.

At night when I want the HID's on, I simply turn my lights on prior to turning the car on, which allows the HID's to remain on until I turn them off...

The flickering i was talking about was if i started the car without the headlights on, and i turn the knob to turn the lights on, the HID's flicker for a half a second and remain off.

I just wanted to see if there was anything to allow me to turn my headlights on after i turn the motor on, rather having to turn my car off to enable my headlights to turn on.
- deesport -

<b><u>Don't forget to upload your images for free with ClubCJ</b></u>:

http://www.rootupload.com

<b><u>In the New York area?</b></u>

http://www.tunenyc.com

Coming Soon!

Return to “Lighting”