***** ALERT - Nominations for your new ClubCJ Committee can be made here *****

FLASHING BRAKE LIGHTS

HID's, Bulb's + LED Interior and Exterior Illumination.

Moderators: Moderators, Senior Moderators

SAM-24A
Alumni
Alumni

FLASHING BRAKE LIGHTS

Postby SAM-24A » Tue Nov 30, 2010 5:51 pm

To Rob (El-Diablo)
I’m referring this thread to you after reading a reply you posted regarding ADR compliance and your experiences in this and the related industries.
Thread: http://clubcj.net/viewtopic.php?p=163068#163068

For a while now I have considered installing a small electronic device which enables the rear brake lights and/or the third brake light to flash at a high rate for 1-2 secs
and then remain on (as long as you keep the brake pedal depressed) just as normal.

The reason for this is to catch the attention of the driver behind you who might (and in many cases) be daydreaming, concerning or concentrating
on anything else other than you in front of them when you apply the brakes.

FL2S-10A LED Brake Light Strobe Module
Upon applying the brake, strobe module heightens visibility by causing brake light bulb to flash 20 times for 2 seconds (10Hz),
and then remain in constant on mode for as long as brake is applied.
Use for LED brake lights & reverse lights only, 10 Amp maximum load, Weatherproof.
Product Link & Video Demo = SuperBrightLED's

This safety feature has been standard fitment to Mitsubishi vehicles in Europe for several years now.
Code Named: ESS (Emergency Stop Signal System)
Link = Emergency Stop Signal System. click on ESS in the left hand column.

My question to Rob is: Would the fitment of these devices render my Lancer:
Illegal -- In breach of Compliance -- Non ADR Compliant -- Defective and/or UnRoadWorthy.

Regards: Sam.
Sam ..... *thumb*
Merlinised MIVEC - AspiRe 2.4L

El-Diablo
Lancer VR/GT
Lancer VR/GT

Postby El-Diablo » Tue Nov 30, 2010 5:59 pm

Its been a while since i've looked up ADR's but i'm pretty sure brake lights are meant to be continuous not flashing. This applies to high mounted lights as well. In my opinion flashing brake lights would likely be defectable and make a car unroadworthy.

SAM-24A
Alumni
Alumni

Postby SAM-24A » Tue Nov 30, 2010 6:22 pm

I understand what your saying, but these modules only flash the brake lights for 1-2 second and the remain steady "ON" as in normal operation.

The Files on ADR's are lengthy, complex and confusing if one is not sure of what or where to look.

Since you're more familiar, could I ask you to look up the regulations and see if anything is stated contrary to the implementation a momentary flashing signal re: Brake Lights.

Regards: Sam
Sam ..... *thumb*

WTR
Lancer Evolution
Lancer Evolution

Postby WTR » Tue Nov 30, 2010 6:29 pm

Here ya go, Sam ....

http://www.comlaw.gov.au/ComLaw/Legisla ... RLI%5D.pdf

Clause 60.2.4.4

WTR
Lancer Evolution
Lancer Evolution

Postby WTR » Tue Nov 30, 2010 6:32 pm

And for those contemplating placing vinyl lettering over the 3rd brake light....

El-Diablo
Lancer VR/GT
Lancer VR/GT

Postby El-Diablo » Tue Nov 30, 2010 6:50 pm

Clause 60.2.4.4 Provide a steady warning light.

Although this is for high mount lights it would most likely also apply to brake lights in general.

SAM-24A
Alumni
Alumni

Postby SAM-24A » Tue Nov 30, 2010 6:57 pm

Fair Enough, that info is enough to convince me.

However as it began with DRLs which are now becoming standard equipt. I suspect that this safety feature will eventually filter its way into the Australian Design Rules.

Thanks for your assistance all.

Regards: Sam.
Sam ..... *thumb*

WTR
Lancer Evolution
Lancer Evolution

Postby WTR » Tue Nov 30, 2010 7:21 pm

Gday Sam .... didn't mean to rain on your parade - I think it's a good idea !!

In fact, regardless of the link I posted, I may get the LSC-100A for my motorcycle.

Cheers, Ron.

dannyboi
Lancer Evolution
Lancer Evolution

Postby dannyboi » Tue Nov 30, 2010 9:01 pm

Is there a video of them in action on a car?

Interesting concept, although I'm not sure how effective it is. Would have to see it in action first though.

WTR
Lancer Evolution
Lancer Evolution

Postby WTR » Tue Nov 30, 2010 9:10 pm

Here's a thought .... try typing "flashing brake light " into google .....

dannyboi
Lancer Evolution
Lancer Evolution

Postby dannyboi » Tue Nov 30, 2010 9:15 pm

WTR wrote:Here's a thought .... try typing "flashing brake light " into google .....

Oh lol. I was looking for "ESS".

This looks interesting:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fgqsXTqi ... re=related

JaCe
Alumni
Alumni

Postby JaCe » Tue Nov 30, 2010 9:32 pm

Please don't.

I've seen them on cars in Malaysia and they are a nuisance especially in high speed driving on highways because cars behind think that the person in front is 'unsure' of whether to brake or not and hence why the brake lights are pulsating.

And for those who would want it flashing the whole time (as I've seen on a Civic FD; apparently it's meant to look like an F1 pace car?) it looks REALLY stupid.

"A man who stands for nothing, falls for anything."

exaltd
Lancer Evolution
Lancer Evolution

Postby exaltd » Tue Nov 30, 2010 10:31 pm

These types of lights are integrated into the BMW 5 series. However, it is hooked to the ECU and only does it in emergency braking situations/evasive manouvering.

I take it there must be some form of ADR that permits the use of this device, however there probably also will be a clause stating it is to be used in emergency situations only? I'm not sure. Correct me if I'm wrong.

kayman
Lancer ES/EX
Lancer ES/EX

Postby kayman » Wed Dec 01, 2010 10:04 am

i know some cars in Europe under heavy breaking flash the hazards.

and most people use to put it on manually as most of their freeways you could be doing 120km/h and then it comes to a sudden stop without notice so those hazard flashers warn others that they are stopped or very low speed so they can break early, good safety feature i would say.

JaCe
Alumni
Alumni

Postby JaCe » Wed Dec 01, 2010 10:35 am

exaltd wrote:These types of lights are integrated into the BMW 5 series. However, it is hooked to the ECU and only does it in emergency braking situations/evasive manouvering.

I take it there must be some form of ADR that permits the use of this device, however there probably also will be a clause stating it is to be used in emergency situations only? I'm not sure. Correct me if I'm wrong.

I think it's worth emphasising that the brake light flashes are not necessarily flashing just when you touch the pedal but only when you are slamming the foot on the brake (i.e. when the brake assist is enabled).

Per BMW (this is a bit old mind you):
driving. But it's precisely at these moments that the fast reactions of drivers behind are most important. Dynamic braking lights are a dual-stage brake light system. For normal braking, the main light element blinks and it also blinks just before the vehicle comes to a standstill. Drivers behind intuitively understand and can react accordingly.

Source: http://www.bmw.com/com/en/newvehicles/3 ... ights.html

On another note though, I do like the fact that in emergency braking situations, BMWs can light up more than just the brake lights to signify the intensity.

"A man who stands for nothing, falls for anything."

Return to “Lighting”