***** ALERT - Nominations for your new ClubCJ Committee can be made here *****

Ebay FOB/Smart Key Housing

Alarms, Smart Key, Batteries, Wiring, Engine/Computer Management & Racing Chips.

Moderators: Moderators, Senior Moderators

tadz0rz
Genius
Genius

Ebay FOB/Smart Key Housing

Postby tadz0rz » Wed Nov 30, 2011 7:33 pm

Ayo peeps

Ive been looking at getting one of those flip out key things because I think you look like a bad ass walking to your car and flipping out the key to start your car and have been trolling around on fleabay and found this bad boy. Looks sorta similar to the smartkey unit that you find on other cars however it doesnt include any of the componants on the inside meaning that you will have to transfer the internals from your current keys into this one.

Ill forward the seller a few questions, but im sure he will just rant and rave about anything to make me buy it however, im just looking at it from a technical perspective..

It says it suits lancer / galant, which I assume means our model, however I have no idea how you would transfer the internals from the current key housing into that fob unit and retaining the use of the buttons since they are in a completely different arrangement.

Im tempted to crack open my keys and have a geez at the inside of them to see how it could work however Im just a little worried because I dont want to take my keys apart and have to get them re-coded to the lancer because I accendently disconnected the battery or something...

Does anyone have any ideas or opinions on these? Theres a few different varieties on ebay if you just search Lancer FOB if you want to check them out. Anyway heres the one in question for me...

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Folding-Remo ... 601wt_1185
Got a question? Read the ClubCJ Ultimate Guide First!!
Just...Dont worry about it ;)Dont Click Me

Chubb
Post Monster
Post Monster

Postby Chubb » Wed Nov 30, 2011 7:39 pm

I have seen a how to on this some where on the web mate. They basically pulled the circuit board out of the orig key then soldered wires from the new keys button to the relevant place on the circuit board.

Chubb
Post Monster
Post Monster

Postby Chubb » Wed Nov 30, 2011 7:46 pm

tadz0rz
Genius
Genius

Postby tadz0rz » Wed Nov 30, 2011 7:47 pm

I do have a spare set of keys I'd be able to test it on however, a new set of keys will set me back $300 plus coding id imagine so id rather not go down that path if i dont have to. I've only had to use my spare keys once which was when I locked my main keys in the car (aftermarket alarm auto locks doors, turned on engine and closed door then alarm locked doors without me in the car *facepalm* )

ive looked around trying to find a how to on it however I only find tutorials on how to change the battery..

Chubb
Post Monster
Post Monster

Postby Chubb » Wed Nov 30, 2011 7:53 pm

Yeah mate you are going to need your original circuit board as the remote had all the programming to generate rolling codes that unlock your car. For very obvious reasons it is bloody hard to copy the rolling generator.

tadz0rz
Genius
Genius

Postby tadz0rz » Wed Nov 30, 2011 7:55 pm

Yeah of course. Im reading through that tutorial now, thanks for posting that. Im a little weary of using a soildering gun on my keys although if it has to be done its gotta be done haha

FFEEkY
Lancer VR/GT
Lancer VR/GT

Postby FFEEkY » Wed Nov 30, 2011 8:00 pm

would the manual key still work on smart key models with this device? Because for the manual key to start the car with a flat battery in the fob, you need to insert the key into the fob where i guess it makes some sort of connection and then starts the car. I have tried starting the car with a flat fob battery and the key alone doesnt work unless this is done.
Warning! Mouth often in gear well before brain!

tadz0rz
Genius
Genius

Postby tadz0rz » Wed Nov 30, 2011 8:04 pm

Lancers which dont come with the smart key system come with a fairly basic looking set of keys

Ie these ones: http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Mitsubishi-L ... 1428wt_952

Im looking at transfering the internals of one of those keys ^^ into one that looks like the smart key housing with a flip out key.

alterego13
Lancer VR/GT
Lancer VR/GT

Postby alterego13 » Wed Jul 04, 2012 12:54 pm

I bought one of those from ebay...and just got it delivered at work. Will go out during lunch to get the key cut...
This is the one i bought http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.vi ... 0845653764

dannyboi
Lancer Evolution
Lancer Evolution

Postby dannyboi » Wed Jul 04, 2012 3:39 pm

I'm interested to see how that one goes. The seller doesn't seem to mention any soldering required, so I assume that module is plug and play and is also reversible?

alterego13
Lancer VR/GT
Lancer VR/GT

Postby alterego13 » Wed Jul 04, 2012 4:36 pm

Just got the key cut...& not sure if the locksmith stuffed up or the key spacings were not good...but it does not work... :( i'm leaning more towards the locksmith stuffing up!! Contacting the seller now.

Return to “Electrical”