***** ALERT - Nominations for your new ClubCJ Committee can be made here *****

Earthing kit... worth it?

Alarms, Smart Key, Batteries, Wiring, Engine/Computer Management & Racing Chips.

Moderators: Moderators, Senior Moderators

ads18x
INACTIVE Member Account

Earthing kit... worth it?

Postby ads18x » Thu Feb 26, 2009 5:10 pm

I was driving to work this morning and i thought i could hear a whistle coming from a rear window or something (i've left a window down overnight once or twice). So i pulled the window switches up to just make sure they were up and i noticed the headlights dimmed slightly every time i pulled the windows.
Would the earthing kit stop things like this? what else is it good for? Is it a day-at-the-dealer job or can i do it at home to install?

dumb&

Postby dumb& » Thu Feb 26, 2009 5:45 pm

They are *meant* to provide a bit more torque and power. Basically gives the car a better electrical circuit to work off which makes it more efficient in regards to the ecu and other sensors on the car.

Some people tend to think it's a bit of a myth as to whether it works or not, others are believers.

It will eliminate lights dimming briefly when you stop at a set of lights or use the power windows etc, but I don't think you'll see a noticeable difference in terms of power etc.

Shouldn't take too long to do yourself, you can buy kits to do it or go the DIY method and buy the parts yourself.

SIR-VRX
Genius
Genius

Postby SIR-VRX » Thu Feb 26, 2009 7:00 pm

If it made a difference, then the electrical system in the car would already be identical as standard.

They are a load of crap basically, just another thing for the dealer to profit off at the time of sale, just like the protection packs lol

Tarquin
Lancer Legend
Lancer Legend

Postby Tarquin » Thu Feb 26, 2009 8:14 pm

People with after market stereo installs have swore by them, to ensure a more even current, I suppose....
and I've seen the difference in the strength of the headlight output witht eh same installed bulbs, and it'll fix the little things like those odd 'whistles' you might hear through the sound systems or the slight dimming of interior lights etc...

But no, can't see a performance value for them, as such....

You'd get better performance in turning off the A/C.... the 'turbo boost button" LOL
- CCJ Premium Member #0015.
Tarq's Paintshop

ads18x
INACTIVE Member Account

Postby ads18x » Fri Feb 27, 2009 5:00 pm

thanx guys i wasnt really looking at getting it for performance also got the stock radio, just wanted to sort out the little electrical bugs dimming lights etc but i can put up with that, thnx guys

Dummer

Postby Dummer » Fri Feb 27, 2009 5:44 pm

SIR-VRX wrote:If it made a difference, then the electrical system in the car would already be identical as standard.

remember though the cars are built to a budget, hence why the sound insulation in the first CJs was soo crappy because they skimped out on spending a lil bit on sound deadening materials and they are that tight they didnt give us hydraulic hood openers (something which every commdore since 1995 has had :? )

--------------------

well the motor I find seems to kick over better on start up with the earthing kit and given the earthing kit provides a better earth to the motor and the throttle is electronic it's quite possible it does improve throttle response as it could help to let the servo motor in the throttle act faster as its receiving a higher voltage. I think there was a bit of extra throttle response from the motor with the earthing kit but its not the sort of thing that would be easy to test...

I also have a amp so for that its good to provide that extra current return capacity to the battery.

SIR-VRX
Genius
Genius

Postby SIR-VRX » Fri Feb 27, 2009 5:54 pm

Yes, we don't get bonnet dampeners, but I'd rather have the fancy boot hinges with dampeners instead of the load-crushing ones with no dampeners Commodores have had since 1985. I don't know about you, but I open/close my boot more than my bonnet ;)

SIR-VRX
Genius
Genius

Postby SIR-VRX » Fri Feb 27, 2009 6:16 pm

i'm talking about the sedans. Of course the wagon's hinges don't intrude in the boot space.

Dummer

Postby Dummer » Fri Feb 27, 2009 6:28 pm

yeah and the VE sedan has a new non-intrusive hinge now too.

The CH had an intrusive one didnt it?

So therefore the commodore has had it longer than the Lancer....

Eagle
Lancer ES/EX
Lancer ES/EX

Postby Eagle » Fri Feb 27, 2009 10:31 pm

Back on topic, I havean earthing kit and have had no problems with the electrics.

It doesn't not work. lol XD

arc
INACTIVE Member Account

Postby arc » Mon Mar 02, 2009 5:43 pm

Helps if you have an aftermarket stereo you would notice difference

Speedie
Lancer MASTER
Lancer MASTER

Postby Speedie » Sun Mar 08, 2009 2:40 pm

Also if you add a bigger power cable off the back of the alternator.

[Evo X Brembos] [Evo X Intercooler] [Evo X UICP]

ofey
Alumni
Alumni

Postby ofey » Mon Mar 09, 2009 9:39 pm

My ride has an MMCS and the Rockford Forsgate System and so I gave this a go. I had the Aerpro Grounding Kit installed and it's fairly obvious the difference it made with the internal lighting.

I feel my throttle is more responsive as well. This on the other hand is purely based on feel.

Mr Charisma
Lancer Evolution
Lancer Evolution

Postby Mr Charisma » Wed May 20, 2009 7:49 pm

I will be installing a left over earthing kit in the lancer soon. Do not expect it to make much difference except for when their is a major load on the alternator ( stereo / ac / lights etc ).

An earthing kit doesn't need to be expensive, mine will consist of:
Gold stinger terminal
0ga main cable
5x 4ga earthing cables
1x common metal rail

Idea is to run 1 of the 4ga to the existing wire that goes to the neg terminal. The secondary one which is grounded next to the battery will be replaced. Then 2 other 4ga will be attached to engine block. Remaining 2 on the chassis, one on either side. This worked wonders in the old car so will be repeating it in the lancer.
Love that car!

b3n87
Lancer VR/GT
Lancer VR/GT

Postby b3n87 » Sat May 23, 2009 6:59 pm

how much are these? if there more than $50 they can go n get ....... :D

Return to “Electrical”