***** ALERT - Nominations for your new ClubCJ Committee can be made here *****

CJ Smart Key not so smart?

Alarms, Smart Key, Batteries, Wiring, Engine/Computer Management & Racing Chips.

Moderators: Moderators, Senior Moderators

BeHaV3
Lancer Ralliart
Lancer Ralliart

CJ Smart Key not so smart?

Postby BeHaV3 » Tue Feb 24, 2009 10:34 pm

2 Problems:
a) Will post more tomorrow, but complete failure to recognise smart key this evening. Have had NRMA out. NBG......car abandoned overnight in "secure" parking. First used the key to access (alarm went off), used the key in ignition and it would not start. Had a function tonight so could not wait for a tow.

b) Hoggy threw bag with key into boot. Apparently key not recognised from inside boot, so could not open boot nor doors. Solution: Keep key in pocket? Ladies...don't throw the handbag in the boot without first unlocking the car doors?
CJ RA. Stock!

Josh_Emerton
Lancer MASTER
Lancer MASTER

Postby Josh_Emerton » Tue Feb 24, 2009 10:36 pm

A) that is wierd, possibly ran out of battery?

B) Well dont put ht ebag in the boot. lol Nah I locked my keys in my boot at schoolies - not smart key - and that was f-ing embarassing. Had to cal out RACQ, and its scary when they break into your car in like 2 minutes without the alarm going off...

BeHaV3
Lancer Ralliart
Lancer Ralliart

Postby BeHaV3 » Tue Feb 24, 2009 10:43 pm

Smart key fob battery looks ok. Light flashes when depressing the buttons.

Will bring spare key with me. NRMA guy thinks it might be electomagnetic interference.

Anyway...looks like a big waste of a morning tomorrow.
CJ RA. Stock!

Dummer

Postby Dummer » Tue Feb 24, 2009 10:53 pm

when you put the key into the ignition you know your supposed to the slide the key out put it into the barrel and then place the butt of the key into the keyfob and then try turn the ignition?? Its supposed to activate a chip in the key or some shit.....the dealer told me when i bought the car....

you dont just whack the key in the ignition and turn it.

Oh and you shouldnt need the battery in the key as I beleive it's a RFID chip and the power the antenna in the door eminates is supposed to be enough to power the chip to transmit i believe, well thats how RFID chips normally work. I dont think the key would always be transmitting, otherwise the batteries would run out too quick. So its either your key fob is faulty or the ETACS is playing up

BeHaV3
Lancer Ralliart
Lancer Ralliart

Postby BeHaV3 » Tue Feb 24, 2009 11:01 pm

Ryan,
Thanks for the info. My delivery expereince was a bit short of the mark. You may have saved me over 2 hours tomorrow. Will give it a go & let you know

Thanks again. Know most people from the 'Gong are alright. Correction.....better than alright. My wife is from there, and I have good taste!
CJ RA. Stock!

Dummer

Postby Dummer » Tue Feb 24, 2009 11:05 pm

:lol: well maybe it will work for you, but who knows maybe I was fed wrong info from my dealer...

should be interesting to see the outcome of this.

also take your spare key tomoro and see how that goes. Hopefully its just the key you had today thats faulty....

Ozie
INACTIVE Member Account

Postby Ozie » Wed Feb 25, 2009 12:48 am

hope it all goes smooth pete,
yeah what Ryan said should work.....
Goodluck & fingers crossed.

spunkybob
Lancer MASTER
Lancer MASTER

Postby spunkybob » Wed Feb 25, 2009 5:26 am

LOL..... i told you at the BBQ that it was fail :P
>CLICK HERE to view My 08 Lancer in all its Glory!
"Its STILL happy go fun fun time!"

BeHaV3
Lancer Ralliart
Lancer Ralliart

Postby BeHaV3 » Wed Feb 25, 2009 7:33 am

Oz & Ryan, Thanks.

1st key did not work no matter what was pressed, or combination of key and plastic.

Spare key worked first time! When I got to work tried the 1st key again. NBG. Looks like the RF chip is well and truely fried. Now have to find some spare time to get car and 1st key to dealer to rectify/replace and programme key.

Would be no good if you were in the middle of no where. I thought that the mechanical key would save you..... now not so sure Mr Mitsubishi. Anyway spare key eventaully saved time by not having to wait for a tow truck

WHat's the cause? I keep the key and mobile phone in the same pocket! Perhaps.
CJ RA. Stock!

Hoggy
INACTIVE Member Account

Postby Hoggy » Wed Feb 25, 2009 7:37 am

Yeah had a nightmare with mine. Had it in my swimming bag opened the boot leaving the car locked and chucked the bag in, shut the boot and couldn't open it again, even though it was in proximity it doesn't seem to work if it is "IN" the car. Very annoying as not only was I locked out the car I was locked in the underground lock up garage!!

Dummer

Postby Dummer » Wed Feb 25, 2009 8:07 am

BeHaV3 wrote:Oz & Ryan, Thanks.

1st key did not work no matter what was pressed, or combination of key and plastic.

Spare key worked first time! When I got to work tried the 1st key again. NBG. Looks like the RF chip is well and truely fried. Now have to find some spare time to get car and 1st key to dealer to rectify/replace and programme key.

Would be no good if you were in the middle of no where. I thought that the mechanical key would save you..... now not so sure Mr Mitsubishi. Anyway spare key eventaully saved time by not having to wait for a tow truck

WHat's the cause? I keep the key and mobile phone in the same pocket! Perhaps.

not much use having that key by the sounds then :?

Marsh
Lancer VR/GT
Lancer VR/GT

Postby Marsh » Wed Feb 25, 2009 8:52 am

I have found that if I try to unlock my car while holding my key and mobile in the same hand that it doesnt work. As soon as I seperate them it works fine. Dont know if it would cause any long term damage to the smart key by keeping it with a phone for extended periods though...

My dealer also told me about the need to put the butt of the spare key back into the smart key in order to start it ... havent tried it at all yet but.

And I cant remember if I've unlocked the doors with the key in the boot but I've definitely started the car with it in there

Ozie
INACTIVE Member Account

Postby Ozie » Wed Feb 25, 2009 9:18 am

spunkybob wrote:LOL..... i told you at the BBQ that it was fail :P

i have been on a number of Lancer Forums and i have never heard about this happening.....its a first time anywhere that i know about.....lol

there must be more to it than just a flat battery, very weird....

The key inside the Smartkey Remote, has a small picture up the top of it showing how to put the butt of that key back into the Smartkey Remote to use it when the Smartkey goes Flat. this is how you start your car.....it still needs the RF Signal to operate even if the Smartkey battery is flat.

Return to “Electrical”