***** ALERT - Nominations for your new ClubCJ Committee can be made here *****

DVD Map based MMCS A01-A04 - The Definitive Guide for CCJ

Alarms, Smart Key, Batteries, Wiring, Engine/Computer Management & Racing Chips.

Moderators: Moderators, Senior Moderators

smithsy
Lancer VR/GT
Lancer VR/GT

Postby smithsy » Tue Aug 17, 2010 7:57 pm

Blakey wrote:how was he cut down? its proably just a box with a resistor in it lol. like thoes Ebay power piggyback ecu's if any one has a picture of one send it to me( inside of one. not just the box of it)

:lol: Wonder how you think a "box with a resistor" in it will make a accurately pulsed output.

Try the following:
*HEF4013BP - Dual D Flip-Flop - probably used as a latching circuit
*12V regulator (7812 1A from memory) - would be used to give it a 12V supply
*NE555P Timer, either to generate the pulse or possibly as a "clock"
*CE4081BE - 2 input AND gate, probably to pass the pulse through when the latching circuit is activated or the unmodified signal when the circuit isn't latched
*CD4071 - 2 input OR gate, probably to pass through either the original or modified signal
Plus one other "4061B" IC that haven't been able to identify yet.

So you've got all the info you would be able to extract from a photo, now go build one.....

Although supposedly that circuit had problems and has now been replaced with a newer more robust design, but I can't comment on that.

Another alternative implementation would be a micro-controller based design which would probably be capable of producing a signal output with a higher degree of repeatability.

Tin_Pusher
Lancer ES/EX
Lancer ES/EX

Postby Tin_Pusher » Tue Aug 17, 2010 8:19 pm

You got it smithsy - I said a number of times in earlier threads that there would be a lot more to the device than just a few dollars worth of parts. If nothing else, when designing such a product you'd make darn sure that if any component ever failed, you'd have protection built in so the MMCS or something else wasn't taken out.

Can't blame the enthusiasm of some though -

smithsy
Lancer VR/GT
Lancer VR/GT

Postby smithsy » Tue Aug 17, 2010 8:43 pm

Well those parts themselves don't seem to be overly expensive, but most of it he probably gets from Jaycar....

Funny you say that but no, he doesn't have any protection built in from what I understand of the parts he has used. But it would be prudent to use something like a zener or Schottky diode to clamp the maximum output voltage...

I'll probably research a design over summer....

Blakey
Lancer MASTER
Lancer MASTER

Postby Blakey » Tue Aug 17, 2010 8:49 pm

Tin_Pusher wrote:You got it smithsy - I said a number of times in earlier threads that there would be a lot more to the device than just a few dollars worth of parts. If nothing else, when designing such a product you'd make darn sure that if any component ever failed, you'd have protection built in so the MMCS or something else wasn't taken out.

Can't blame the enthusiasm of some though -

well really all of those parts are relatively cheap. most expensive would be the timer, and IC.
Last edited by Blakey on Tue Aug 17, 2010 8:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
IF YOUR NOT LIVING ON THE EDGE YOUR TAKING UP TOO MUCH ROOM

Blakey
Lancer MASTER
Lancer MASTER

Postby Blakey » Tue Aug 17, 2010 8:53 pm

smithsy wrote:Well those parts themselves don't seem to be overly expensive, but most of it he probably gets from Jaycar....

Funny you say that but no, he doesn't have any protection built in from what I understand of the parts he has used. But it would be prudent to use something like a zener or Schottky diode to clamp the maximum output voltage...

I'll probably research a design over summer....

smithsy, if you really want to reproduce these circuits talk to me i can get you on to a place that can get all those parts and allot more in bulk and single units very cheaply.

Example NE555 timer jaycar, $1.25, place i know 20c
IF YOUR NOT LIVING ON THE EDGE YOUR TAKING UP TOO MUCH ROOM

mikec
Lancer Newbie
Lancer Newbie

Postby mikec » Thu Sep 02, 2010 5:58 pm

hey
my mmcs doesnt seem to play mp4 (mv) files
is that normal?
what video formats does the mmcs support?

edraven
INACTIVE Member Account

Postby edraven » Thu Nov 11, 2010 8:07 pm

Ofey, when I've been around long enough you can add me to the MMCS owners list for vic. ;)

In regards to a movement hack it's outside of my abilities but I do work with evil geniuses discussed as electronics engineers (I work for a company that manufactures & services wireless equipment for warehousing / industrial use).
I've already raised with them the possibility of ripping apart my new car to tinker behind the dash - Something they seem to relish the opportunity of doing. They have the kit required to monitor the signal(s) transmitted along on the Speed Sensor.
If anyone is in Melbourne and would like to work collaboratively on this let me know. I'm happy to make this an open source solution.
Moderators please let me know if this not the track you want the community to head down.

Question: Has anyone used a non-Mitsubishi camera with the MMCS? Connector format aside, can anyone think of a reason why virtually any camera with the same power requirements would not work?

squala
Post Monster
Post Monster

Postby squala » Thu Nov 11, 2010 11:18 pm

Having lived with MMCS for 1.5 years now, I have come up with two 'silly' thoughts.

1. Can that red background be changed at all?
2. Is there a way to enable listening to music files from a separate device via Bluetooth?

Cheers
///// /////
7 airbags
6-speed SST
5-star safety
4-wheel drive
3-diamond badge
2 overhead cams
1 awesome ride
0 demerit points and gutter rash

edraven
INACTIVE Member Account

Postby edraven » Fri Nov 12, 2010 12:27 am

squala wrote:Having lived with MMCS for 1.5 years now, I have come up with two 'silly' thoughts.

1. Can that red background be changed at all?
2. Is there a way to enable listening to music files from a separate device via Bluetooth?

Cheers

Making a pure assumption based on the interface's design, the background will be a graphic and I'm guessing it could be changed IF you knew which file(s) it was in the build and in which format it/they're are stored in. However I would think that just about the entire user interface would be rastor graphics and you would have to change the lot if you were looking to completely change colour schemes.
Might be a question for the guys working on it in the Pajero forum as they're breaking down the .au install dvd.
I don't mind the red - Ties in with in cab illumination. Mind you, I've only had to put up with it for a short while...

I think you need +EDR support for audio streaming? I know my GM streams from his Android phone to the BT in his Mazda 6. Will ask in the morrow which protocol it uses, setup details etc.
It would be brilliant though if the AUX input could be BT streaming! Given that he's been able to do that with his ride for 4 years I'd somewhat disappointed if it weren't possible on the MMCS.

edraven
INACTIVE Member Account

Postby edraven » Fri Nov 12, 2010 5:13 pm

Okay so it turns out what you need to stream Bluetooth Audio is:

"A2DP"; Advanced Audio Distribution Profile is a Bluetooth profile that allows for the wireless transmission of stereo audio from an A2DP source (typically a phone or computer) to an A2DP receiver. Such devices typically also support the AVRCP profile as well in order to allow for track selection and such. Source

Still looking but initially it looks like there is no support for this in current .au MMCS'. :cry:

:idea: Although... You could use a third party receiver attached to the AUX port I guess. Will look at that as well.

gadams
Lancer Learner
Lancer Learner

Postby gadams » Sat Nov 13, 2010 8:01 pm

Inhibiting the speed override is simple. It can be done by cutting the blue-white wire mentioned above and putting a 10k resistor in between the ends. The 10k allows normal operation, but if you put 5V into the MMCS side, the MMCS will operate as if stationary. It will mess up GPS operation so must be switched, better yet switched and timed. If you want to add a heap of features around that simple principle, I tapped into the steering wheel switches and used the Hang-up to toggle the inhibit. It was part of a project to add a Heads Up Speed Display. All the detail of that project is here http://home.people.net.au/~g.adams/
ImageImage

edraven
INACTIVE Member Account

Postby edraven » Sun Nov 14, 2010 12:42 am

@gadams If I read the project site right for 01:00, it's a beautifully elegant solution; kudos!

Questions:
I've read previously about the GPS being fine tuned with the signal feed into the MMCS by the blue/white speed pulse wire. To your knowledge, does using the override frequently throw your fix out of calibration? Lets say you run it for the 2 minute period, travel through a tunnel - Clearly you won't track while in the tunnel but will you get accurate results thereafter?

How does the mod behave when you're on the phone? I assume it performs both functions? It would terminate the call and enable the speed mod?

In relation to the connectors going into the back of the MMCS, can you remove the socket pin from the back of the connector housing? Like you can with a molex type.
I'd be more inclined to remove the connector pin, find a matching replacement and then make an extension bridge so I'm not cutting the original cable.
I still have near 5 years of warranty to get through and on the off chance the MMCS dies in that time (not related to any mod) I really want to avoid Mitsubishi having any recourse to decline the warranty. Any mod I make to the back I want to make reversible.

Any chance of getting even low quality video of the mod in action? :)

gadams
Lancer Learner
Lancer Learner

Postby gadams » Sun Nov 14, 2010 12:48 pm

Answers!
Feeding in no speed signal or a wrong speed signal really messes with the GPS brain - it becomes worse than a standard GPS - you can be off by a km and pointing in the wrong direction. Don't know why, but makes sense to only isolate while using the MMCS for other functions - you only need it for other functions anyway. Once the speed signal returns the GPS catches up quickly.
If I am on the phone, touching the hangup still hangs up. If quick it does not toggle the speed isolate, but if it does, easy to hang up again.
Good point re connector. Might be difficult to find a pin of that type, but once out you can probably remove the wire from the crimp, and add a new bit of wire. It will be fiddly to get the pin out of the plug.
Video - I'll see what I can do. I'll get help - can just imagine explaining to a cop how I ran into him while using a video camera to film a DVD playing while driving!

gadams
Lancer Learner
Lancer Learner

Postby gadams » Sun Nov 14, 2010 7:09 pm

Video as requested.
You can see the menu has most items grayed out and unavailable. When we reached 22 kph (notice the HUD) driver pushed the hangup button (see post above), and all functions become available. But GPS gets "lost".
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rhfu_CxTDk4

edraven
INACTIVE Member Account

Postby edraven » Wed Nov 17, 2010 12:42 am

That is excellent. :D Love the HUD too!

Looks like I have another weekend project lined up!

I'll look at the pin, see if I can find it through the likes of RS, Farnell (Element14) etc. Failing that I'll pass it over to the purchasing officer at work and ask her to track it down. Will come back with a part number if possible. :)

Again, nice work and thanks for doing the vid! :)

Return to “Electrical”