***** ALERT - Nominations for your new ClubCJ Committee can be made here *****

REVERSE PARKING SENSORS

Alarms, Smart Key, Batteries, Wiring, Engine/Computer Management & Racing Chips.

Moderators: Moderators, Senior Moderators

SAM-24A
Alumni
Alumni

Postby SAM-24A » Wed May 19, 2010 10:19 pm

@ Brian - If yours is a sedan, youll find a large oval shaped rubber blanking grommet located on the right hand side inner guard panel. Remove it and just punch a hole in it to fit your wiring. them replace it. I found this easier and less damaging than drilling a hole in the boot as the OEM kit requires you to do.

@ Ron, I'm not 100% sure if it's the same wiring pick-up point on a Sportsback, but I would'nt doubt it. Remove the L/H inner boot panneliing and see you you find a similar wiring socket as shown in my post. If not I'm sure you will find something very similar to feed power from, otherwise just trace the wiring from the tailight until you locate the plug connection point.

@ milobob, I only used two sensors, 1 either side of the number plate because I only want to determine/detect distance from another parked vehicle and/or stationary object when reverse parking in normal situation. The sensors that are supplied with the SmartPark unit are designed to have a very wide field of span which will detect to the edge of the bumpers. Further sensors placed at the outer points of the bumper will only detect peripheral objects which lead to continual un-necessary alerts.

Cheers: Sam

briansharque
Lancer Newbie
Lancer Newbie

Postby briansharque » Wed May 19, 2010 10:30 pm

Thanks sam, that helps and i will look up the boot this weekend. How much did you purchase the reverse sensor kit and sis you spray the sensor yourself?
VRX Sportback

SAM-24A
Alumni
Alumni

Postby SAM-24A » Thu May 20, 2010 4:19 pm

@ Brian, I paid $215 for the Kit PDC120PI & $40 for the Optional Visual DisplayUint VDC110.

I had the sensors sprayed by a panel-beaters shop, cost me free, but shouldn't cost more than $40 approx for a decent job at most places.
Sam ..... *thumb*
Merlinised MIVEC - AspiRe 2.4L

briansharque
Lancer Newbie
Lancer Newbie

Postby briansharque » Thu May 20, 2010 10:34 pm

Cool, thanks a lot sam much appreciated
VRX Sportback

JaCe
Alumni
Alumni

Postby JaCe » Sun May 23, 2010 9:52 am

Great write up Sam. You gotta show me this in person at the next meet because I really want parking sensors on my Evo. Obviously Mitsu won't install them because of the clashing beeping sound hence why the visual display is a necessity. It sucks being scared of parking everywhere and being overly cautious!

This reminds me a bit of the BMW iDrive parking sensors which combine both a visual diagram of the car with a radar around it showing where the obstacles are with an audio. Did you find any of the brands you reviewed/researched offered this feature? Can't find a picture on Google but it basically is a top down view of the car, with a radar around it which colours in as obstacles get in the way and changes colour/beeping intensity as obstacles gets closer.

SAM-24A wrote:@ Brian, I paid $215 for the Kit PDC120PI & $40 for the Optional Visual DisplayUint VDC110.

I had the sensors sprayed by a panel-beaters shop, cost me free, but shouldn't cost more than $40 approx for a decent job at most places.

And that's really cheap! $255 all up for such a good kit.

"A man who stands for nothing, falls for anything."

SAM-24A
Alumni
Alumni

Postby SAM-24A » Sun May 23, 2010 10:04 am

Jeff asked:
You gotta show me this in person

Anytime Jeff, you know where I live, call or PM me and we can arrange a time that suits.

solace
Lancer Newbie
Lancer Newbie

Postby solace » Sun May 23, 2010 11:45 am

well done write up! this has to be organized into a group buy :)

SAM-24A
Alumni
Alumni

Postby SAM-24A » Mon May 24, 2010 1:41 pm

The purpose of a Group Buy is to generate Buying Power ( Higher Volume = Lower Price)

However, since Zorg Industries is a Manufacturer, they cannot accept Group Buy orders from the General Public because it would cause a Price Conflict with thier Wholesale/Distribution Clients.

As I mentioned in my post: Fri 30 April 2010 8:57pm
I'm currently talking to Zorgs National Sales Manager, but indications are
Approx $215 for the Main Unit PDC120PI
Approx $40 for the optional Visual Control Display VCD110.
I believe you will be able to transact a Credit Card purchase + P&H over the phone direct from Zorg.

Today: Monday 24th May.
I have spoken at length this morning with Zorg Industries and I have managed to secured a gentlemens agreement in which Zorg Industries will supply direct to you at the RRP's (recommended retail prices) mentioned above in the quote, + P/H approx $10-$12 NSW,--- $15-$18 other states.

To order:
Phone Zorg Industries directly and speak to Vernon Rubin (National Sales Manager) on (02) 9439 9439.
SMART PARK
Unit 4, 31-33 Chaplin Drive,
Lane Cove 2066 NSW

Vernon has a distinct White/South African accent, and he is extremely busy, so be polite when talking and you will find him very willing and helpful.

PS: This the best I can manage to help.
Last edited by SAM-24A on Fri Aug 03, 2012 4:29 pm, edited 2 times in total.

SAM-24A
Alumni
Alumni

Postby SAM-24A » Mon May 24, 2010 7:41 pm

@ solace, I sent you a PM.

All members who may be interested in purchasing these can follow the Ordering Info mentioned in my post above.

Sam ..... *thumb*

WTR
Lancer Evolution
Lancer Evolution

Postby WTR » Mon May 24, 2010 7:49 pm

:oops: Too late, Sam. I bought the Steel mate PTS400Q.
At least the sensors are black ! :D

( $149.00 @ Jaycar )

SAM-24A
Alumni
Alumni

Postby SAM-24A » Mon May 24, 2010 8:11 pm

@ WTR - Ron, you inquired about the wiring in the boot only last Monday, and I answered on Wednesday.
You did'nt say anything about wanting to purchase in a huge hurry.

Anyway I hope you will be pleased with the SteelMate.
For an extra $106 the Smart Park kit from Zorg is definitely worth it.

BTW: All sensors are Black, regardless of brand.
See you at another meet Ron.

Sam ..... *thumb*

solace
Lancer Newbie
Lancer Newbie

Postby solace » Mon May 24, 2010 10:15 pm

cheers sam! i will give them a ring and hopefully all goes well.. thanks for all the effort you put into this much appreciated

solace
Lancer Newbie
Lancer Newbie

Postby solace » Wed May 26, 2010 9:46 pm

i rang vernon yesterday and got 2 sets off him.. he is a great fellow really good to deal with. he had them shipped out on the same day and i got a delivery notice today already.. he hasnt even billed me yet!

sam, what would be the best way of putting holes on the rear bumper.. did you use a drill with twist bit and reamed it after (20 mm twist bits are not readily available, plus i use a 13mm max drill)? or with a hole saw bit.. advice appreciated!

aspir3
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby aspir3 » Wed May 26, 2010 9:55 pm

solace wrote:i rang vernon yesterday and got 2 sets off him.. he is a great fellow really good to deal with. he had them shipped out on the same day and i got a delivery notice today already.. he hasnt even billed me yet!

sam, how did you drill the holes on your rear bumper.. did you use a drill with twist bit and reamed it after (20 mm twist bits are not readily available, plus i use a 13mm max drill)? or with a hole saw bit..

I read Sam did not drill his.

I did mine. In the OEM instructions they tell you to use a router drill.

I used it and it was really easy. I used about a 5mm twist drill as a pilot and then care fully used a 20mm router drill. Just make sure you are square to the face and it does not grab and slip along the bar.

My holes were a little tight and I used a round file to get the sensors to fit nicely.

If you are not confident with a drill practice on a ice cream container first.

aspir3
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby aspir3 » Wed May 26, 2010 10:01 pm

If you want I think I have the OEM instructions some where.

I can email or fax them to you. Or your local Mitsubishi dealer should be able to give them to you.

They have a picture of the router drill required.

Return to “Electrical”