***** ALERT - Nominations for your new ClubCJ Committee can be made here *****

Computer cable

Alarms, Smart Key, Batteries, Wiring, Engine/Computer Management & Racing Chips.

Moderators: Moderators, Senior Moderators

Matzilla
INACTIVE Member Account

Computer cable

Postby Matzilla » Sat Jan 02, 2010 9:11 pm

Can anyone give me a heads up as to where I can get my hands on the cable needed to download the ROM off my ECU as I have no idea about this!! (Sorry if this has been asked b4!!)

LZY_EYE
Genius
Genius

Postby LZY_EYE » Sat Jan 02, 2010 9:17 pm

Just a heads up, if you want to get your ECU read, Peanut has all the gear... I am sure if you ask nicely he will read it at Wakefield for you. The cable is not cheap, bout $200 plus shipping...

The X
INACTIVE Member Account

Re: Computer cable

Postby The X » Sat Jan 02, 2010 9:18 pm

Matzilla wrote:Can anyone give me a heads up as to where I can get my hands on the cable needed to download the ROM off my ECU as I have no idea about this!! (Sorry if this has been asked b4!!)

It's an OBD-II connector on one end and either USB or COM on the other end. You need special software to interrogate the computer in the car.

Edit: I should add, there is some open-source (read "free" community contributed/engineered) software and "relatively cheap" software tooto read SOME (not all read outs and CEL history), the cables on Ebay cab be pricey (but that was months ago when I last checked). Have a google and ebay for OBD-II - I'm sure you'll get over it once you see the start up price just to peek around the computer. :)
Last edited by The X on Sat Jan 02, 2010 9:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"the quieter you become, the more you are able to hear"
More pix @ http://clubcj.net/viewtopic.php?t=8779
ImageImage

Matzilla
INACTIVE Member Account

Postby Matzilla » Sat Jan 02, 2010 9:20 pm

OK............wasnt quite expecting that!!! LOL Will send a PM to Peanut and ask him!! Thanx heaps guys!!
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway!!

ofey
Alumni
Alumni

Postby ofey » Sat Jan 02, 2010 9:22 pm

The cable you're after is the Tactrix Cable available here.

I contacted them in late Dec and they've said they'll be out of stock till the middle of January.

For all those in VIC, just FYI, I will be purchasing a cable for the joint use of all premium member in the state. So we don't need to buy any additional ones. If you have spare change, please donate it to the club.
Beeble tooned MY08 OEd. w/ RA BKit+SWheel
Cosworth Panel Filter w/ RA Intake | SuperCircuit 4-2-1 Headers | Creat’d Ti-tipped SS exhaust
BC BR-type Coilovers | UR + Whiteline Bars
EBC GreenStuff Pads | RDA Rotors

LZY_EYE
Genius
Genius

Postby LZY_EYE » Sat Jan 02, 2010 9:24 pm

And also, beware of the cheap ebay cables. These are not sufficient to do what you want. They will read some info, but cannot work with the correct software, or write to the ECU.

SIR-VRX
Genius
Genius

Re: Computer cable

Postby SIR-VRX » Sat Jan 02, 2010 9:26 pm

VRX_Pete wrote:
Matzilla wrote:Can anyone give me a heads up as to where I can get my hands on the cable needed to download the ROM off my ECU as I have no idea about this!! (Sorry if this has been asked b4!!)

It's an OBD-II connector on one end and either USB or COM on the other end. You need special software to interrogate the computer in the car.

Edit: I should add, there is some open-source (read "free" community contributed/engineered) software and "relatively cheap" software tooto read SOME (not all read outs and CEL history), the cables on Ebay cab be pricey (but that was months ago when I last checked). Have a google and ebay for OBD-II - I'm sure you'll get over it once you see the start up price just to peek around the computer. :)

FYI, the usual generic OBD-II cable CAN NOT read the ROM off the ECU. The Tactrix Cable is the only one that can ;)

aspir3
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby aspir3 » Sat Jan 02, 2010 9:40 pm

I am assuming no members in Adelaide would have one?
I assume Mitsubishi dealers would though?
I was going to ask the same question, once I am ready to adjust the ECU.
I am waiting to complete all my engine mods first. Air filter, RA intake, headers and exhaust.
I was hoping to go to a local dyno place to get this done. I don't think I will find some one with the cable and data to adjust the ECU.
Probably easier to drive to Melbourne or Sydney to get it done. I could meet some of you friendly folk at the same time!

SIR-VRX
Genius
Genius

Postby SIR-VRX » Sat Jan 02, 2010 9:41 pm

Mitsubishi have their own proprietary one, called the MUT-III but that is not compatible with the software and methods for this RPW tune.

scraverX
Lancer MASTER
Lancer MASTER

Postby scraverX » Sat Jan 02, 2010 10:45 pm

How annoying. I just looked at the link ofey provided and it appears to require Windows.
"Max" 2009 MY10 RX, Black. CCJ Lifetime Premium Member #0125
Car & Home audio nut.
Car audio brands used: Audison, Eclipse, Hybrid Audio Technology, Precision Power, Polk Audio, Pioneer PRS
Home Audio: Denon, Epos, Pro`ject, AKG

SIR-VRX
Genius
Genius

Postby SIR-VRX » Sat Jan 02, 2010 10:46 pm

Yeah I have Boot-Camp'd my Macbook just for this purpose ;)

The X
INACTIVE Member Account

Postby The X » Sat Jan 02, 2010 10:51 pm

Oh dear. mac people. The only useful macs i've come across are Mrs Mac's pies. That's it. :)
"the quieter you become, the more you are able to hear"

More pix @ http://clubcj.net/viewtopic.php?t=8779

ImageImage

SIR-VRX
Genius
Genius

Postby SIR-VRX » Sat Jan 02, 2010 10:54 pm

At least I don't like iPhones :roll:

scraverX
Lancer MASTER
Lancer MASTER

Postby scraverX » Sat Jan 02, 2010 10:55 pm

Heathen!! :lol: :lol: :lol: ... might have to bite the bullet if I want to get one of these... or I could just meet Peanut and get him to flash my ECU.

But, if I had the cable and such then I could help out those other ACT members that are supposedly out there. Ninja's. I Swear.

Edit: read after I posted and had to fix it... *ahem*
"Max" 2009 MY10 RX, Black. CCJ Lifetime Premium Member #0125

Car & Home audio nut.

Car audio brands used: Audison, Eclipse, Hybrid Audio Technology, Precision Power, Polk Audio, Pioneer PRS

Home Audio: Denon, Epos, Pro`ject, AKG

Return to “Electrical”