***** ALERT - Nominations for your new ClubCJ Committee can be made here *****

Help installing e-throttle controller (3-Drive flat)

Alarms, Smart Key, Batteries, Wiring, Engine/Computer Management & Racing Chips.

Moderators: Moderators, Senior Moderators

SIR-VRX
Genius
Genius

Postby SIR-VRX » Mon Dec 28, 2009 4:23 pm

Why all the effort running the wire from the bootlid when it was right under the dash anyway?

JaCe
Alumni
Alumni

Postby JaCe » Mon Dec 28, 2009 4:27 pm

SIR-VRX wrote:Why all the effort running the wire from the bootlid when it was right under the dash anyway?

We weren't 100% sure which wire it was and this was the safest way without having to experiment too much! But now that I think about it... if we could follow the wire all the way to the correct spot under the dash then that would've been considerably easier to tap into ><

"A man who stands for nothing, falls for anything."

SIR-VRX
Genius
Genius

Postby SIR-VRX » Mon Dec 28, 2009 4:31 pm

Your installer can't follow wiring diagrams then? I gave you all the info he needed in previous posts. I even told you the colour of the wires lol

Oh well, it works and that's the main thing right

JaCe
Alumni
Alumni

Postby JaCe » Mon Dec 28, 2009 4:44 pm

I have to admit it may be my fault because I didn't bring a laptop and he didn't either... so we were relying on my recollection of what I had read and seen on forums >__>! Thanks for your help though... at least we both knew if **** happened, all the information we needed would be found in a single thread on ClubCJ.

On another note, it has really impressed me how helpful the guys on ClubCJ are. No offence to some of the other forums I post on which are supposedly aimed at Evo-enthusiasts, but I got diddly squat in replies and mods moved my thread away to the n00b section hence noone even saw it.
Last edited by JaCe on Sun Jan 03, 2010 4:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SIR-VRX
Genius
Genius

Postby SIR-VRX » Mon Dec 28, 2009 5:29 pm

All good mate :)

Glad it's in and working for you now

the good thing about ClubCJ is we are totally different to any other forum. Amazing really the wealth of knowledge we have here. And no pretentious folk either

JaCe
Alumni
Alumni

Postby JaCe » Fri Jan 01, 2010 7:40 pm

I'm using the Pivot 3Drive Flat (with the official PnP 6A harness) in my Evo X MR and whilst I'm still evaluating it before I do a full write-up review, the thing I noticed is that there are two sides of things. For performance, all it does is speed up the rate at which throttle is applied and make the throttle pedal extremely sensitive in Sports Mode. This really kills fuel economy but it does get the car moving off the line a bit faster (as discussed extensively in this thread).

For economy however, it dulls the performance of the car so much so in order to gain fuel economy benefits that it really only helps if you are someone who has a habit of stomping your foot down a bit too hard when you only needed a feather touch because this will smooth it out. If however you have good foot control, this device really doesn't do anything other than limiting your ability. It does make roundabouts a bit more challenging and I've been overtaken quite easily by people movers, vans, etc... until I put my foot down.

Basically to reiterate, it doesn't really solve any of the Evo X MR's problems (e.g. throttle lag) but rather, it just helps you control your foot better. I'm finding it's very effective at making me drive slower (which is good for double demerits) and if I really want to push it, it'll make it shoot faster than you could before, but that's about the extent of it's involvement. I suppose it does also give you that 'feel good' feeling that you are driving in economy mode.

I think I still need to drive around with it for a bit longer before I finalise my thoughts on it but for the price I paid, I'm pretty happy with it. It does what I thought it would do. Just remember- all it does it alter the throttle signal so that you don't have to move your foot so much (in order to get sporty acceleration) or so that you don't have to worry about being so feather-light with your touch (when you want to use light throttle). On another note, I've also found light throttle doesn't necessarily mean improved fuel consumption figures.

JaCe
Alumni
Alumni

Postby JaCe » Sun Jan 03, 2010 1:15 pm

EDIT: I have removed my content in this post because this way I will be able to link to this thread from other forums. I'd rather this approach because you deserve credit for your effort as opposed to your post being copied and pasted into other forums.
Last edited by JaCe on Sun Jan 03, 2010 4:33 pm, edited 4 times in total.

SIR-VRX
Genius
Genius

Postby SIR-VRX » Sun Jan 03, 2010 1:24 pm

I don't even bother reading EvoOZ anymore

JaCe
Alumni
Alumni

Postby JaCe » Tue Jan 05, 2010 12:49 am

This thread is fast becoming my unofficial journal until I do write a proper review of the e-throttle controller. On my usual journey home from city to my girlfriend's house in Baulkham Hills via Vic Rd, and coming into the city from Bondi Junction which I don't normally drive, I averaged 9.6L/100km which is pretty good considering I normally get around the 12-14L mark. I think the e-throttle controller is most effective at reducing fuel consumption in areas where the car is able to coast along at a suitable speed requiring only occasional bursts on the accelerator pedal. Unlike normal whereby such a burst would maybe send 30%-50% each time, the e-throttle controller both smooths it out and reduces the signal such that you get sufficient acceleration to maintain the required speed without using as much fuel.

The situations where it performs poorly however are in hilly areas or suburban usage whereby you need the throttle control to get up hills and by reducing it using the economy mode, you need to still mash in as much throttle % as before (i.e. press harder now) in order to get up hills at sufficient speed to prevent people honking you from behind. In these situations I am finding I need to open the throttle longer (i.e. depress accelerator longer) to compensate for the reduced signal. I think I would be better off just mashing the pedal harder to begin with and circumventing the throttle controller (i.e. sending a higher signal such as 60% for a shorter period of time) rather than holding the throttle open for longer but using more fuel.

And the experiment goes on!

PYLee
Lancer MASTER
Lancer MASTER

Postby PYLee » Tue Jan 05, 2010 4:21 am

btw , any reason why pivot and not blitz ?
Lancer Evolution 10MR

lancervr
Lancer MASTER
Lancer MASTER

Postby lancervr » Tue Jan 05, 2010 3:17 pm

Hey Jace i m currently in singapore now for a holiday visitin my folks and i cant find one of ure posts before where u said there was a place here in sg where one could get lots of parts for their car n where u got ure e throttle controller.... what was it called and where isit located?

~LancerVR~
Your friendly neighbourhood Red Devil (cj-red)

PYLee
Lancer MASTER
Lancer MASTER

Postby PYLee » Tue Jan 05, 2010 5:38 pm

come malaysia and sunway will flood you with parts :D
Lancer Evolution 10MR

lancervr
Lancer MASTER
Lancer MASTER

Postby lancervr » Tue Jan 05, 2010 5:49 pm

lol i know hahahah wanted to go down kl and jb to get parts but was held up here n doin an internship atm here in sg so cant go anymore..... i know jb has cheap ass parts lol but sg is still cheaper than aus fir sure.... went 2 the ralliart pit and got the ralliart emblem n holder for like $7aud cuz it was on offer even the normal price was like 12aud

~LancerVR~

PYLee
Lancer MASTER
Lancer MASTER

Postby PYLee » Tue Jan 05, 2010 5:56 pm

lol what parts are you looking at ? everywhere is cheaper than aus for imported parts , stupid import fee and taxes
Lancer Evolution 10MR

lancervr
Lancer MASTER
Lancer MASTER

Postby lancervr » Tue Jan 05, 2010 8:56 pm

lol yeah so true.... um i wanna get the led bulbs for my boot light, reverse lights and amber parker bulb. tryin to get that look on mazda cx9s but its impossible to find amber they only seem to have green blue white and red..... and also piaa bulbs cuz dun want the hassle of hids cuz wen dad comes to perth for holidays he wants 2 drive myc ar so dun want him 2 run in any problems.... parts in mitsubishi here are so much cheaper for oem.... when i first got my car had an accident n broke the lip spoiler... lol wasnt even a week old.... in oz was like 488aud with labour in sg the part itself is like 288sgd n they even sell the led tail lamps at ralliart lol

~LancerVR~

Return to “Electrical”