***** ALERT - Nominations for your new ClubCJ Committee can be made here *****

fitting reverse parking sensors

Alarms, Smart Key, Batteries, Wiring, Engine/Computer Management & Racing Chips.

Moderators: Moderators, Senior Moderators

aspir3
Site Admin
Site Admin

fitting reverse parking sensors

Postby aspir3 » Tue Nov 10, 2009 2:51 pm

Can someone give me an idea what is involved fitting factory reverse parking sensors. Things I am not sure about, how to drill the holes. How accurate do the holes have to be. Sometimes drilling plastic drills can grab and tear plastic or wonder.
Do the installation instruction come with the unit?
Is there a control box and does it have lights or anything, if so does it mount near the dash?

Bandit
Lancer Legend
Lancer Legend

Postby Bandit » Tue Nov 10, 2009 3:01 pm

There is a small control box that goes in the boot - it also contains the speaker for the beeping. It will have to be wired into the gear selector somehow though, in order to activate when reverse is selected. Drilling location and wiring instructions are provided. Mine were installed by the dealer but I got all the paperwork for the install with the car when I picked it up.
ClubCJ's first Sportback

Mizta B
Alumni
Alumni

Postby Mizta B » Tue Nov 10, 2009 3:09 pm

If you buy the OEM Mitsubishi kit everything required comes in the kit
All drilling templates,wiring diagrams,Fixtures and Hardware are in the kit,it's well worth the money I think.
The control box plugs into the taillight loom in the VRX and the beeper sticks onto the inner guard in the boot with 3m tape.
I fitted one to my VRX,it's pretty easy if you take your time and follow the directions. I'm assuming most models have the plug already in the loom in the boot.
Australasian Gerbil Rearers Organisation, Official Re-Seller.
MY09 Rally Red VRX ClubCJ's 1st 4B12 2.4L - CCJ Lifetime Member #0004.
Merlinised....

aspir3
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby aspir3 » Tue Nov 10, 2009 3:20 pm

Mizta B wrote:If you buy the OEM Mitsubishi kit everything required comes in the kit
All drilling templates,wiring diagrams,Fixtures and Hardware are in the kit,it's well worth the money I think.
The control box plugs into the taillight loom in the VRX and the beeper sticks onto the inner guard in the boot with 3m tape.
I fitted one to my VRX,it's pretty easy if you take your time and follow the directions. I'm assuming most models have the plug already in the loom in the boot.

What type of drill did you use? A normal drill bit or router?

SAM-24A
Alumni
Alumni

Postby SAM-24A » Tue Nov 10, 2009 4:08 pm

Hi Aspir3. there is an exact size special "holesaw type" drill bit supplied in the kit for you to use.

The OEM kit is made for Mitsubishi by a company in Victoria called Lumen Aust http://www.lumen.com.au/. This site wont show you the exact kit which fits our Mitsu's but you'll get an idea of what they provide as an aftermarket kit.

As Mizta B and Bandit explained, everything is supplied in the kit. The wiring is designed to plug directly into the existing wirng harness in your boot (Plug 'n' Play) very straight forward and simple.

If your still not entirely sure I can send you a copy of the full installation instructions which come with the kit for you to read and familiarise yourself with before deciding. PM me or ring me.(we've spoken before).

If your serious about fitting reverse sensors, then go with the OEM ones. Stay away from any sub $100 overseas kits. They often use low quality sensors that false detect in our hot summer temps and low grade electronic components in the control module, and if you have problems with any part of the kit outside the warranty period, individual replacement parts are virtually impossible to source. You need to puchase an entire new kit.

The're are a lot of kits out in the market place with fancy visual disply units, but the sensor quality and electronics inside the control unit are what counts.

Reverse sensors are one accessory you should not skimp on. You dont want to be left with 4 holes in the rear bar because you saved a few bucks on a cheaper kit.

auldy
Lancer Learner
Lancer Learner

Postby auldy » Sun Nov 15, 2009 10:00 am

Hi All

I am considering fitting Reversing sensors to my Lancer also. My additional inquiry is in regard to the possibility and recommendation of fitting sensors to the front as well. Parking the car in the garage is a very snug fit at the front and sensors here would also greatly assist.

Any information or recommendations appreciated

:)
Regards
Auldy

aspir3
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby aspir3 » Sun Nov 15, 2009 10:10 am

There is no factory front parking assist for the lancer's. You can get after market. If the issue is the garage you can get a plastic parking stop from most automotive car accessories shops, attach it to the ground and problem solved.

milobob
Lancer Legend
Lancer Legend

Postby milobob » Sun Nov 15, 2009 10:20 am

I use bricks for the garage to stop me from going too far forward in the garage. Some of my friends use a hanging ping pong ball :P
2010 RenaultSport Megane RS250 Cup Trophee (Xenons+Leather+Front Parkers)

DStutter
Lancer Learner
Lancer Learner

Postby DStutter » Thu Nov 26, 2009 10:53 pm

Fitting sensors to the front involves a little more work than the rears. You have to pull the bar right off, measure your four holes from the centre of the bar outwards. There's usually specific measurements for each kit on which the distance from each sensors needs to be. You then need to run the cables into the car, thru a seperate switch which you turn on when you need them.

If you go for the fronts, just take your time and make sure the holes all measure up evenly. Remember, 'measure twice, cut once'

scraverX
Lancer MASTER
Lancer MASTER

Postby scraverX » Fri Nov 27, 2009 3:10 am

Similar to milobob, my younger bro has a tennis ball on a string hanging from the ceiling (his is lined with fibro) of his garage by way of a ceiling hook like you might use for a hanging plant.

I reverse into my carport which has a fence at the back and just judge by the 'pattern' of the reverse and brake lights.

My Mum and Stepdad have two planks of 8x3 inch timber laid down, not even bolted down, on the floor.
"Max" 2009 MY10 RX, Black. CCJ Lifetime Premium Member #0125
Car & Home audio nut.
Car audio brands used: Audison, Eclipse, Hybrid Audio Technology, Precision Power, Polk Audio, Pioneer PRS
Home Audio: Denon, Epos, Pro`ject, AKG

ofey
Alumni
Alumni

Postby ofey » Fri Nov 27, 2009 5:59 am

I don't hang strings or put up barriers. What I did was to get someone to first watch for me so that the car doesn't crash into anything in front and that the garage door can close from the back without hitting the car's rear bumper.

Then from where I'm sitting, I align myself to something on the left wall (since I park on the left in a double garage). I see my side mirror line up with the side plank of the shelf there and I know then that the car is perfectly placed.
Beeble tooned MY08 OEd. w/ RA BKit+SWheel
Cosworth Panel Filter w/ RA Intake | SuperCircuit 4-2-1 Headers | Creat’d Ti-tipped SS exhaust
BC BR-type Coilovers | UR + Whiteline Bars
EBC GreenStuff Pads | RDA Rotors

PYLee
Lancer MASTER
Lancer MASTER

Postby PYLee » Fri Nov 27, 2009 12:19 pm

i just stick my car front as close as i can into the garage , that way i'll have plenty of room at the back lol
Lancer Evolution 10MR

The X
INACTIVE Member Account

Postby The X » Fri Nov 27, 2009 2:15 pm

Mitsu now make front parking sensors, no idea if avail to Mitsu Australia, but definately in the UK
Part # is SP029931
Have a look at http://www.mitsubishi-accessories.co.uk - under "Exterior Protection" category.
This link might work http://www.mitsubishi-accessories.co.uk/details.aspx?accessory=SP029931&AccId=211&SelectedOption=0
"the quieter you become, the more you are able to hear"
More pix @ http://clubcj.net/viewtopic.php?t=8779
ImageImage

JaCe
Alumni
Alumni

Postby JaCe » Tue Dec 15, 2009 4:06 pm

Another idea is to buy one of those LED stop lights which light up when your car comes into contact with the soft plastic pole.

Or, you could just do it perfectly once and then stick a piece of paper on the wall where your mirrors are so you know that you need to line up with the piece of paper (this is what I do when reversing into my parking spot).

"A man who stands for nothing, falls for anything."

shin91
Lancer Newbie
Lancer Newbie

Postby shin91 » Thu Apr 01, 2010 12:23 am

aspir3 (or anyone else) did you end up putting sensors?
if so was it relatively easy to do? or does mitsu install for you?
im really thinking about getting them done asap.. i have trouble seeing any small objects such as gutters, bumps, small walls underneath the high rear end of my vrx :(
dont want to damage my car, or hit a small person :)

and does anyone know prices for this?
thanks
shin
VRX lancer 2010

Return to “Electrical”