***** ALERT - Nominations for your new ClubCJ Committee can be made here *****

RLS sensor

Alarms, Smart Key, Batteries, Wiring, Engine/Computer Management & Racing Chips.

Moderators: Moderators, Senior Moderators

JaymeF12
Lancer Newbie
Lancer Newbie

RLS sensor

Postby JaymeF12 » Sat Aug 27, 2022 3:01 pm

I'm looking to get auto headlights and there are two options:
1) RLS sensor (Rain Light sensor)
2) the photo sensor for auto climate control + auto headlights (DIY wiring for auto headlights)

but regarding the RLS sensor, to get the auto wipers to work. Do the lancers require a special windscreen to have them work? and where do the wires feed into? and would it be smarter to take it to a mitsu dealership to enable it in the ETACS or download those editing software's from those Russian forums and use those adapters that allow me to edit the ETACS?

lancerdarryl
Lancer MASTER
Lancer MASTER

Re: RLS sensor

Postby lancerdarryl » Sat Aug 27, 2022 6:49 pm

Are you really sure you want to do this? We’ve had people over the years try to wire up heated seats,electric mirrors etc only to find it is a long drawn out process sometimes without a result. Just because you have a few random plugs doesn’t mean it’s a plug and play,seat heating wiring for instance have the wiring under the seat but no wiring at the fuse box.First step is have a look and see if you have the wiring for the RLS in behind the roof light.You’ll need to change the wiper switch and the headlight switch.The RLS is a bit on the expensive side,I wouldn’t trust a used one.The sensor has to be calibrated when fitted so that’s a trip to Mitsubishi and they can hopefully enable the system in Etacs while they are there.

And be careful with the Russian stuff it doesn’t always work with our cars
Evolution X MR+ Lancer VRX Sportback +LA Lancer GSR
"Don't back off until you hit something"

JaymeF12
Lancer Newbie
Lancer Newbie

Postby JaymeF12 » Sun Aug 28, 2022 11:55 am

lancerdarryl wrote:Are you really sure you want to do this? We’ve had people over the years try to wire up heated seats,electric mirrors etc only to find it is a long drawn out process sometimes without a result. Just because you have a few random plugs doesn’t mean it’s a plug and play,seat heating wiring for instance have the wiring under the seat but no wiring at the fuse box.First step is have a look and see if you have the wiring for the RLS in behind the roof light.You’ll need to change the wiper switch and the headlight switch.The RLS is a bit on the expensive side,I wouldn’t trust a used one.The sensor has to be calibrated when fitted so that’s a trip to Mitsubishi and they can hopefully enable the system in Etacs while they are there.

And be careful with the Russian stuff it doesn’t always work with our cars

I've had a quick feel around there for the plug and havent found anything so i'll definitely have a look with my eyes. I know i have to change the stalks, and im fine with that because it seems plug and play? but yes id have a trip to a mitsubishi dealership to enable all of that but also thinking maybe try the ETACS softwares on forums.

And what do you mean calibrated? do you just mean enabled on in the ETACS? or do they have to actually like physically calibrate the sensor?

This dude installs it without the plug n play connector:
https://lancer-x.net/en/38-rain-and-lig ... cer-x.html

lancerdarryl
Lancer MASTER
Lancer MASTER

Postby lancerdarryl » Sun Aug 28, 2022 4:49 pm

The sensor is calibrated to work with available light levels so it knows when to turn on/off.It’s not just turned on through the etacs.
Your mate fitting it to the evo is Russian? Good luck with that.
I’ve two CJs one is a VRX the other is an X both have auto wipers and headlights which are hardly used.The light sensitivity ie what light level you want it come on at is a pain to get right in the etacs.Both my cars have the MMCS sound system so I can adjust the lighting level if I need to.Without the MMCS it’s a trip to Mitsubishi if you need to adjust it.If you have the most sensitive setting the light will turn themselves on and off,go too far the other way and it’s nearly dark before they will come on.
As for the auto wipers the variable speed is handy but you can only turn them on to auto when it starts raining. If you leave them on auto they will give the windscreen a sweep most times when you start the car and also go off randomly if the screen is dusty. You don’t need dry wiper blades scraping dirt and debris across your windscreen.

JaymeF12
Lancer Newbie
Lancer Newbie

Postby JaymeF12 » Sun Aug 28, 2022 10:15 pm

lancerdarryl wrote:The sensor is calibrated to work with available light levels so it knows when to turn on/off.It’s not just turned on through the etacs.
Your mate fitting it to the evo is Russian? Good luck with that.
I’ve two CJs one is a VRX the other is an X both have auto wipers and headlights which are hardly used.The light sensitivity ie what light level you want it come on at is a pain to get right in the etacs.Both my cars have the MMCS sound system so I can adjust the lighting level if I need to.Without the MMCS it’s a trip to Mitsubishi if you need to adjust it.If you have the most sensitive setting the light will turn themselves on and off,go too far the other way and it’s nearly dark before they will come on.
As for the auto wipers the variable speed is handy but you can only turn them on to auto when it starts raining. If you leave them on auto they will give the windscreen a sweep most times when you start the car and also go off randomly if the screen is dusty. You don’t need dry wiper blades scraping dirt and debris across your windscreen.

Oh okay so doing this wouldnt be the smartest thing to do? just end up costing more then what its worth?

But the auto headlights are hardly used? do you not drive the car at night? or do you just manually turn them on because the lights dont turn on at the right time?

and what about using the auto climate control sensor which can also be used for auto headlights, are these a better option?

adamhumphrey
Lancer VRX/GTS
Lancer VRX/GTS

Postby adamhumphrey » Mon Aug 29, 2022 5:37 am

Not all lancers use the climate control sensor. My car doesnt have one (Evo X) Nor did my Ex Wife's VRX.
MY11 Evo X MR (2011-Current)
MY20 Asx GSR (2023-Current)

MY11 Peugoet 207 XT HDi (2020-Mar 2023)
MY09 Lancer Sportback VRX (2015-2019) - Sold Nov 2019
Owner Operator: - Adam's Attention to Detail. Mobile Detailing and Automotive Installations.
https://www.facebook.com/AdamsAttentionToDetail/

lancerdarryl
Lancer MASTER
Lancer MASTER

Postby lancerdarryl » Mon Aug 29, 2022 6:55 am

adamhumphrey wrote:Not all lancers use the climate control sensor. My car doesnt have one (Evo X) Nor did my Ex Wife's VRX.

Neither of my cars have the climate control sensor either.Maybe it is only used in cars that don’t have auto headlights and rain sensing wipers?

JaymeF12
Lancer Newbie
Lancer Newbie

Postby JaymeF12 » Mon Aug 29, 2022 6:15 pm

lancerdarryl wrote:
adamhumphrey wrote:Not all lancers use the climate control sensor. My car doesnt have one (Evo X) Nor did my Ex Wife's VRX.

Neither of my cars have the climate control sensor either.Maybe it is only used in cars that don’t have auto headlights and rain sensing wipers?

Isn't the auto climate control plug behind the speedo? and the auto CC sensor is in the middle of the dash

Also, with MMCS, don't aftermarket android headunits also work similar? being able to control all those settings?

lancerdarryl
Lancer MASTER
Lancer MASTER

Postby lancerdarryl » Mon Aug 29, 2022 8:04 pm

Maybe cars without rain sensing wipers and auto headlights use that sensor. I’m sure there are a few how to threads in here somewhere. Also I’m not aware of an aftermarket head unit that will talk to the Etacs

JaymeF12
Lancer Newbie
Lancer Newbie

Postby JaymeF12 » Mon Aug 29, 2022 8:50 pm

lancerdarryl wrote:Maybe cars without rain sensing wipers and auto headlights use that sensor. I’m sure there are a few how to threads in here somewhere. Also I’m not aware of an aftermarket head unit that will talk to the Etacs

I don't think this was the ETACs, i just checked my car and it displayed stuff like auto headlights on, auto lock etc which was weird but i didnt have the adapted to tap into this

Should also add that this is an android headunit, not one like pioneer to alpine.

Could i also use a Tactrix to edit the ETACs myself? i read on another forum that it was possible and someone enabled the fogs to be turned on without the headlights on

Return to “Electrical”