***** ALERT - Nominations for your new ClubCJ Committee can be made here *****

Aftermarket HU not turning on anymore

Alarms, Smart Key, Batteries, Wiring, Engine/Computer Management & Racing Chips.

Moderators: Moderators, Senior Moderators

Tywhiteguy
Lancer VR/GT
Lancer VR/GT

Aftermarket HU not turning on anymore

Postby Tywhiteguy » Sun May 23, 2021 1:18 pm

I’ve had a pioneer headunit installed for a while now and I tried installing a harness that would allow me to mirror link my phone. After installing it and reconnecting the battery it will no longer turn on. On top of that my voltage and pressure gauges stay on constantly now. The HU is getting power because it does make some noises, albeit strange, but won’t light up. I checked the fuses and they all seem fine. Any experience or help with this issue would be greatly appreciated
2012 ES Sportback USDM Long Beach, CA. RA Snorkel, K&N Drop-In,Custom 2.25 catback with Flowmaster resonator+jdm 4” muffler, Gutted from rear seats back, Pioneer AVH-211EX+12” compact sub :welcome:

bumblebee
Post Monster
Post Monster

Re: Aftermarket HU not turning on anymore

Postby bumblebee » Sun May 23, 2021 3:14 pm

Go back over what you did

Remove the harness you installed and see if it powers up

Mars1811
Lancer VR/GT
Lancer VR/GT

Postby Mars1811 » Sun May 23, 2021 3:59 pm

On top of that my voltage and pressure gauges stay on constantly now.

Are these the guages on the display between the speedo/tacho?
2011 VRX Sportback

Message me on Discord: Mars#0420
If in doubt, rev it out!

awood
Lancer VR/GT
Lancer VR/GT

Postby awood » Sun May 23, 2021 4:27 pm

Mars1811 wrote:
On top of that my voltage and pressure gauges stay on constantly now.

Are these the guages on the display between the speedo/tacho?

No mate , those are water temp and fuel level. Well , they are on the colour cluster.

adamhumphrey
Lancer VRX/GTS
Lancer VRX/GTS

Postby adamhumphrey » Sun May 23, 2021 5:11 pm

Tywhiteguy wrote:I’ve had a pioneer headunit installed for a while now and I tried installing a harness that would allow me to mirror link my phone. After installing it and reconnecting the battery it will no longer turn on. On top of that my voltage and pressure gauges stay on constantly now. The HU is getting power because it does make some noises, albeit strange, but won’t light up. I checked the fuses and they all seem fine. Any experience or help with this issue would be greatly appreciated

If your gauges aren't turning off then they are hooked up to constant power. Check wires on the back of your unit's harness. Red will power only when key is on. Yellow is constant. by the sounds of it the power wires are a bit messed up.
MY11 Evo X MR (2011-Current)
MY20 Asx GSR (2023-Current)

MY11 Peugoet 207 XT HDi (2020-Mar 2023)
MY09 Lancer Sportback VRX (2015-2019) - Sold Nov 2019
Owner Operator: - Adam's Attention to Detail. Mobile Detailing and Automotive Installations.
https://www.facebook.com/AdamsAttentionToDetail/

Tywhiteguy
Lancer VR/GT
Lancer VR/GT

Postby Tywhiteguy » Mon May 24, 2021 12:31 am

Sorry I should’ve clarified, I already removed that harness. The gauges are aftermarket and have a switched, unswitched, ground and dimmer. All the fuses are intact and it still doesn’t power on
2012 ES Sportback USDM Long Beach, CA. RA Snorkel, K&N Drop-In,Custom 2.25 catback with Flowmaster resonator+jdm 4” muffler, Gutted from rear seats back, Pioneer AVH-211EX+12” compact sub :welcome:

Tywhiteguy
Lancer VR/GT
Lancer VR/GT

Postby Tywhiteguy » Mon May 24, 2021 1:02 am

I just disconnected those gauges because they aren’t absolutely necessary and I’m going to try my old head unit to see if that one works. Edit: so I plugged in the old one and that makes the same strange noises without powering on. That leads me to believe it’s the wiring but I checked all my crimps and they’re solid. I checked the radio fuse and the fuses in both head units and they’re all intact.

Mars1811
Lancer VR/GT
Lancer VR/GT

Postby Mars1811 » Mon May 24, 2021 1:27 am

awood wrote:No mate , those are water temp and fuel level. Well , they are on the colour cluster.
Don't worry, I'm fully aware of that :D

I was just unsure of where they were seeing the guages, if their head unit wasn't powering up at all:
Tywhiteguy wrote:On top of that my voltage and pressure gauges stay on constantly now.
2011 VRX Sportback

Message me on Discord: Mars#0420
If in doubt, rev it out!

Return to “Electrical”