***** ALERT - Nominations for your new ClubCJ Committee can be made here *****

I need a new DashCam!

Alarms, Smart Key, Batteries, Wiring, Engine/Computer Management & Racing Chips.

Moderators: Moderators, Senior Moderators

bumblebee
Post Monster
Post Monster

Re: I need a new DashCam!

Postby bumblebee » Sat Sep 26, 2020 7:08 am

I had a bit of a read of the link you posted and was laughing too hard to continue to read the rest
Make sure you do the firmware update on any blackvue camera as it fixed so many issues it's not funny
Also when you mount the camera make sure you mount it in a true vertical fashion before stick it down
Old mate in his "review" cracks a sad cos it wasn't mount straight to begin with and the blackvue only has vertical adjustable not horizontal adjustable and this is true
And this is not an issue when you mount the camera correctly to begin with.
There is article on the net that shows how to mount it true vertical with tape as a marker.
Also the firmware will allow you to put a tick in a box so it won't overwrite any data needed for say an accident
Blackvue do update their firmware a lot more regularly then most others
Have a look thru their web site
Also old mate had a Sook cos to use wifi on the blackvue you had to connect to the blackvue wifi
Well duh , how else are you going to connect to it with wifi ?
You can also remove the SD card from the unit and use it in as SD card to USB adaptor and use their software on your PC and view all the saved data and save the lot and configure how it is setup
You can do this via wifi from your phone as well
Go to blackvue site , and read the facts there

bumblebee
Post Monster
Post Monster

Postby bumblebee » Sat Sep 26, 2020 8:16 am

I was successful in controlling my laughter while reading old mates laundry list of "issue's" with blackvue gear
The vast majority of "issues" he has is resolved by
A) reading the manuals
B) firmware updates
C) when you want to remove the SD card I remove two cables , press a button and slide the camera out of the holder on the windscreen and take it to my PC and remove the SD card there
D) the blackvue has wifi for a reason, one handy features in the software is when you power the camera up and connect to it with wifi before you stick it to the windscreen is you can view what the camera does via wifi and get the alignment correct before you stick it down
E) old mate reckon the blackvue made his car battery go flat. Well of course it will if you wore it up incorrectly in the first place. They have a small black box for about $50 and when you follow the directions (if you have no idea then get an auto Lekki to do it for you ) and then set the dip switch to cut off at what ever voltage you want and run it off main battery of the car. I have mine set to 12 volts and it will automatically cut out at that set voltage and not flattened you main car battery.

No need to be within 20mm to wave at the camera

And surprise surprise it tells you in the instructions what size SD card you can run and how long it recording for before it over writes the data on the card
It's not brain surgery , if old mate read the instructions which he clearly never did he wouldn't have so many "issues"

bumblebee
Post Monster
Post Monster

Postby bumblebee » Sat Sep 26, 2020 8:24 am

Also the "advertisement" that old mate has a Sook about on his phone while the app loads

It's called either a "splash screen" or "loader"
It's there to give the user something to look at while the app loads in the back ground.
PC's and console have been doing it for decades. If the splash screen wasn't there , while the app loads you would see a white screen
Then all the numpty's would get in touch with tech support and say the app is broken , when in reality there is nothing wrong with it at all.

Lancer1993
Genius
Genius

Postby Lancer1993 » Sun Sep 27, 2020 5:01 pm

Thanks for the info, I was a little worried reading his story.

Before I set the battery protector to the right setting yes they drained mine, easy mistake, but once set to 12v every thing it good. The one I have is from BlackVue, but I cut the 12v socket off for a couple of USB connectors, with 12v-5v adaptor so its just like any USB port. So I'll have to change that, nothing a bit of solder won't fix... just need to find the 12v socket again LOL

As for checking the level I'm sure I opened the app for the R40 and set it using that, then stuck it down.

If Firmware fixes the 'faults' then all is good, I looked for that info on the BlackVue site with no luck. I like being able to capture something knowing I can go back days or weeks later and its still there.

Speaking of, I find it easier to take the unit to my computer and pop out the SD card, much easier than dropping it in the car and it disappearing down the seats or something.

With the wifi I just have my iPhone set so it doesn't automatically log into that signal when on, not long ago I went and wiped most of the old auto connections I had, only got 2 or 3 now.

Like I said I'll go all out and probably get 256Gb to future proof it.

I have sent BlackVue an email to clarify a few things, I've got until Wednesday to go to AutoBarn and save about $120 on the 4K.
My rides CJ VRX - CC coupe

bumblebee
Post Monster
Post Monster

Postby bumblebee » Mon Sep 28, 2020 6:17 am

Download the newest firmware and drop on the SD card and insert to the camera
Easiest way to configure a new camera

The biggest thing dash cam owner get wrong is where to connect the wires on the car to keep the unit powered after the ignition is off. This is by far the most common fault for sending battery flat.
Particularly on the lancer when tapping into the ETACS box

bumblebee
Post Monster
Post Monster

Postby bumblebee » Mon Sep 28, 2020 6:23 am

https://www.blackvue.com.au/support/downloads/

Start here to download the firmware and put in SD card to drop into your camera

Lancer1993
Genius
Genius

Postby Lancer1993 » Tue Sep 29, 2020 3:11 pm

Got the 4K on Lay-by, max 12 weeks which is xMas!

Weird they said 20% deposit but it was actually $200, on a $679 purchase, so my math thats about $135, $200 is about 30%, what ever.

Any way I'll do about $80 every 2 weeks and get it for xMas.

bumblebee
Post Monster
Post Monster

Postby bumblebee » Wed Sep 30, 2020 6:24 am

You may find their fine print on layby says
20% or $200 whichever is greater
A lot of places do this

Lancer1993
Genius
Genius

Postby Lancer1993 » Wed Sep 30, 2020 2:56 pm

Yeah it kinda defeats the point of a lay-by if you're paying almost a third of the cost up front.

Anyway now time to choose a SD card, 256Gb is HUGE!

Lancer1993
Genius
Genius

Postby Lancer1993 » Sat Oct 10, 2020 9:30 am

You're kidding me!

Put my money down on the BlackVue DR900S-2CH at AutoBarn.
https://www.autobarn.com.au/me26729

Only to have them release the BlackVue DR900X-2CH
https://www.repco.com.au/en/in-car-tech ... p/A5541776

I did get the BlackVue DR900S-2CH for $679 so a bit of a saving but now I'm not sure, the new model apparently addresses some of the over heating issues.

bumblebee
Post Monster
Post Monster

Postby bumblebee » Sat Oct 10, 2020 1:07 pm

This is why I said to get a DR-650S or DR-750S
They work just as well and can be purchased much cheaper then those and work quite well and the footage from them is more then good enough to be used in a court of law

Lancer1993
Genius
Genius

Postby Lancer1993 » Sat Oct 10, 2020 5:21 pm

Think I'll stick with the one I have on lay-by at Auto Barn, given the sale savings and looking at this video apart from the extra vents not much I need has changed.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qhhqvzKTemY

That said the X series now use a different way to prevent the cars battery from draining which is built in, so the power box is not needed. Also they have a new way to connect online so you can access them 24/7 which means paying for another SIM card.

Lancer1993
Genius
Genius

Postby Lancer1993 » Sat Oct 10, 2020 5:24 pm

Oh one question, when you 'save' a video the last minute does it save both front and rear?

bumblebee
Post Monster
Post Monster

Postby bumblebee » Sat Oct 10, 2020 5:36 pm

When the video is recorded to the SD card it recording both front and rear camera as well as the GPS info

This is all editable as to what it recording and how sensitive the knock sensor is when parked and the whole shooting Match

It can be configured by the phone via wifi to the camera

However

The best way is to plug the SD card into laptop , PC and use their blackvue software it's just so much easier to read and edit and Change configuration etc

https://www.blackvue.com.au/support/downloads/

Go here
Scrolling down
Get the software called
PC cloud player

Drop it on and run it
Once it can see a SD card you can view the recording of both front and rear camera and it shows a map and it plays everything all synchronous
You can hear what's recording in the cabin from the Mike , take screen shots , copy video off to hand to the police with GPS info , the whole shooting Match , edit the configuration for how the unit records , everything

Magic
Just magic

Lancer1993
Genius
Genius

Postby Lancer1993 » Sat Oct 10, 2020 8:26 pm

Thanks for the info, what I meant though was my current one has a sensor, wave your hand as it saves the 5 sec before and after to a file that can't be recorded over, so if you don't get back to it or the card is too small its won't be erased.

I'm ordering a 256Gb for the new BlackVue which should record enough to not worry too much about it being recorded over too soon but even this has its limits with 4k. On that I know you can chose the format, so x265 to be able to record more but can you choose the quality you download via wifi?

Guess I'll learn this stuff when I get it.

Return to “Electrical”