***** ALERT - Nominations for your new ClubCJ Committee can be made here *****

Help with aftermarket alarm

Alarms, Smart Key, Batteries, Wiring, Engine/Computer Management & Racing Chips.

Moderators: Moderators, Senior Moderators

tadz0rz
Genius
Genius

Help with aftermarket alarm

Postby tadz0rz » Tue Sep 08, 2009 5:31 pm

Hey guys

Ive got a Python alarm system in my car, im not going to say which one for obvious reasons BUT

When they originally hooked up the alarm, they didnt connect it to the headlights or parkers or anything like that for when you lock, unlock or set off the alarm on the car. Being bored today, i went looking for my alarm and found it fairly easily. There is nothing physically wrong with the alarm nor is there anything wrong with the car that is the cause of the alarm.

I am going to be buying deano's angel eye headlights on friday and i wanted to get this alarm properly going so when i install the angel eyes, when i lock the car or set it off or whatever, the parkers and the angel eyes will flash. When i found the alarm, i got the wiring diagram and looked at what wires set off the parkers when i lock the car etc. Found the wire no problems, but i wanted to test the wire before i ran anything else, so when i plugged in my multi meter and set it to the apropriate thing and i got barely any reading out of the alarm when i un/locked the car. I only got 0.01v or something like that.

Heres a picture of the wiring diagram, i went looking for ages for this thing because i cant find the box which my alarm came in

I tested the white wire (Vechile Parking Light Wire) by locking and unlocking the car and i got basicly no reading.

If this did work, this is what i was planning on doing...
Run a wire from the alarm (from the parking light wire) and run it through the firewall to the parkers. The only thing i can think of on why this might not work is because when you have your lights on, and then you turn the car completely off the headlights etc turn off automaticly. Would i have to splice into something else to make this work or would the way i just explained work?

Reading the diagram, it doesnt actually state that its a 12V source, simply says (+)(-) Selecatble Flash Output

So basicly what im asking is

What wire do i need to tap into from the alarm to get the parkers to flash when i lock/unlock the car.

And, where do i have to tap into on the car to make the parking lights flash

THANKKSSSS

Also, this alarm isnt a CAN-BUS upgrade alarm
Got a question? Read the ClubCJ Ultimate Guide First!!
Just...Dont worry about it ;)Dont Click Me

Ozie
INACTIVE Member Account

Postby Ozie » Tue Sep 08, 2009 5:33 pm

Adrian will know tadz.

tadz0rz
Genius
Genius

Postby tadz0rz » Tue Sep 08, 2009 5:34 pm

**Blows Sea Horn**

**waits for adrian**

Speedie
Lancer MASTER
Lancer MASTER

Postby Speedie » Tue Sep 08, 2009 5:47 pm

What is your jumper set to? but it looks like you were trying for the right wire. Do you really want it hooked you to your AEs? the flashing would reduce the life of the bulbs considerably

[Evo X Brembos] [Evo X Intercooler] [Evo X UICP]

tadz0rz
Genius
Genius

Postby tadz0rz » Tue Sep 08, 2009 5:49 pm

Would it really? Didnt think it would do that..I know automoglow has it hooked up to theirs on their ride, hence my egerness to do it aswell..

And jumper settings, what do you mean?

Speedie
Lancer MASTER
Lancer MASTER

Postby Speedie » Tue Sep 08, 2009 6:01 pm

Look at the top row in the picture it has the parking light flash jumper identified so check yours against the manual settings. If Autoglow has theirs setup on a proper flasher circuit then it reduces damage to the invertor on the AEs, If its hooked up via a normal relay its like giving the invertor a power spike

SIR-VRX
Genius
Genius

Postby SIR-VRX » Tue Sep 08, 2009 6:21 pm

ohai guys!

LOL

Anyway. To business.

Tadz, the jumpers shown appear to allow it to be selectable between positive switched and negative switched. So, you will need to try 2 things for me to be able to assist you more.

1. Look at the jumper setting. Set it to MINUS and put your multimeter on Ohms (Ω) and hold one prong on a unpainted metal part of the car (such as the big frame under the dash) and the other prong on the light signal wire mentioned above. Should read 0.01Ω or close to it like 0.02Ω etc Tell me the result

2. Change the jumper to POSITIVE. And do the same test,only instead of Ohms, you want Volts. You should get 12 to14. Once again, tell me the result :D

tadz0rz
Genius
Genius

Postby tadz0rz » Tue Sep 08, 2009 6:39 pm

Where will i find this jumper? When i found the alarm, it simply had the harness and the wires coming out of it, no obvious switches or anything...

Im downloading the installation guide at the moment, been searching ages for it, and ill get a few of the pages up here to see if it helps out more

EDIT!

OHHHHH JUST SAW IT. I put my thing back together before because i had to go out but ill go check it out now, give me about 10 mins and ill see what it comes up with. Thanks guys!!
Last edited by tadz0rz on Tue Sep 08, 2009 6:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SIR-VRX
Genius
Genius

Postby SIR-VRX » Tue Sep 08, 2009 6:42 pm

Just looking at that picture, it's under a little cap, on the top of the unit.

Don't post up too many install diagrams! From that one up there alone, I could disable your alarm.

tadz0rz
Genius
Genius

Postby tadz0rz » Tue Sep 08, 2009 6:45 pm

yeah i just realised what you guys where talking about with the jumper settings.

And adrian, your more than welcome to come down and disable my alarm. You gotta find it first :P

I found it fair easy because i know where a few of the points for the alarm are hooked up to and just backtracked till i found it:P

SIR-VRX
Genius
Genius

Postby SIR-VRX » Tue Sep 08, 2009 6:47 pm

I bet I could find it and disable it in 2 minutes or less.

Alarms do not stop thieves, they just slow them down.

Speedie
Lancer MASTER
Lancer MASTER

Postby Speedie » Tue Sep 08, 2009 6:51 pm

I thought they had to do all black wiring nowdays to stop the ease of theft? The power wires are common power colours. Very unsafe

SIR-VRX
Genius
Genius

Postby SIR-VRX » Tue Sep 08, 2009 6:54 pm

They don't HAVE to, but it's a sales point I would've thought.

tadz0rz
Genius
Genius

Postby tadz0rz » Tue Sep 08, 2009 7:22 pm

Well on my alarm its all covered up with black duck tape, i was fiddling around in the same area for about 5-10 minutes till i actually saw the alarm module

ANYWAY

I checked it out with the Ω and voltage and all that

I put it on Volts (that thing with V then -- with ... under it) and set it to 20

When i locked the car, it read 0 and when i unlocked it, it read .35 to .50

when i did the Ω

It spiked to 30ish then rested at .1

What does that tell me...

SIR-VRX
Genius
Genius

Postby SIR-VRX » Tue Sep 08, 2009 7:26 pm

You missed a bit :P

Reboot, try again. I will repost the instructions so you can follow them properly this time :P

SIR-VRX wrote:ohai guys!

LOL

Anyway. To business.

Tadz, the jumpers shown appear to allow it to be selectable between positive switched and negative switched. So, you will need to try 2 things for me to be able to assist you more.

1. Look at the jumper setting. Set it to MINUS and put your multimeter on Ohms (Ω) and hold one prong on a unpainted metal part of the car (such as the big frame under the dash) and the other prong on the light signal wire mentioned above. Should read 0.01Ω or close to it like 0.02Ω etc Tell me the result

2. Change the jumper to POSITIVE. And do the same test,only instead of Ohms, you want Volts. You should get 12 to14. Once again, tell me the result :D

Return to “Electrical”