***** ALERT - Nominations for your new ClubCJ Committee can be made here *****

I think my radar detector died

Alarms, Smart Key, Batteries, Wiring, Engine/Computer Management & Racing Chips.

Moderators: Moderators, Senior Moderators

Graham
Post Monster
Post Monster

I think my radar detector died

Postby Graham » Sun Aug 30, 2009 10:02 am

Title says it all.

It's really weird that it randomly died.. I was coming back from testing a map and probably drove 200-250km the whole way without stopping then on the highway heading back it randomly started beeping and said "PWR OFF"
Now it doesn't work at all.

It can't be the fuses because it has a 2amp, 3amp & 10amp fuse before it hits the battery plus it's also wired to my volt gauge and the gauge works fine.
It doesn't work by the cigarette lighter either so I'm thinking something may be wrong with the device.. I don't understand why it said it powered off and now won't turn on at all though.. If it blew a fuse or lost power suddenly it shouldn't even display that because if I was to turn it off it would go straight off.

Looks like a warranty job :shock: only had it for a month or two

I live in WA where radar detectors are legal
Last edited by Graham on Sun Aug 30, 2009 10:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
Four wheels move the body, two wheels move the soul.
ImageImage
Daily Driver: Yamaha R1
Weekend Warrior: BMW Z4 Roadster

Lethal_1
Lancer VRX/GTS
Lancer VRX/GTS
Location: Sth Side Of Brisbane, Here @ Springwood, Qld, Australia.

Re: I think my radar detector died

Postby Lethal_1 » Sun Aug 30, 2009 10:29 am

Graham wrote:
I live in WA where speed cameras are perfectly legal

Hmmm.? - Do U mean ; " Where Radar Detectors Are Perfectly Legal ".?? - Otherwise the GOVT will say that " Speed Camera's " are legal anyway ... lol ...

Anyway ... It does sound weird.? - Have heard that Police have " Radar Detector, Detector's.!! - And *Maybe* have a "Jamming Device" to block reception from your device.??

Still can't explain why the malfunction tho.? - Those devices are pretty expensive, so it'd better work ... So Yep, sounds like a Warranty Job to me.!! - Interested to hear from others.?? :?
ClubCJ Lifetime Member #0098
NA AUTOSPORTS AND ENGINEERING - 3808 3048

Graham
Post Monster
Post Monster

Postby Graham » Sun Aug 30, 2009 10:35 am

yeah it was really random, but I wasn't near a police car, I was next to a car though, but i made sure they weren't police or anything.

Sorry my bad, typo in OP :P

ImageImage

Loki
Lancer VR/GT
Lancer VR/GT

Postby Loki » Sun Aug 30, 2009 10:37 am

I remember here a while back they reckoned Nokia phones could detect cops. In NSW it's illegal so I naturally don't know much about these.
You know that you have really got to someone when they invest personal time into tracking you down all over the internet.

You know who you are :)

Graham
Post Monster
Post Monster

Postby Graham » Sun Aug 30, 2009 4:19 pm

I'm an idiot.

I was playing with it before I washed my car today and remembered that I turned "K Band" off and that made me remember reading that if it doesn't pick up a signal in 4 hours it turns off for battery saving.. Apparantly to turn the unit back on I had to hold the volume up for 5 seconds.

Probably confused me because when I got it out of the box I plugged it in and it worked without turning it on:\

Now it can continue to [s]save me money[/s] detect speed camera's :P

ImageImage

aussie027
Lancer Ralliart
Lancer Ralliart

Postby aussie027 » Sun Aug 30, 2009 4:58 pm

Hey Graham,
I was gonna say the old but true classic--

"When all else fails, read the instructions".

Glad you figured it out.

How good is it in detecting the freakin Multanovas???
What brand do you have??
There are a couple of websites you probably already looked at that go into a fair bit of detail on everything to do with them.

The effective multanova ranges of the radar are supposed to be -

1 lane--7m
2lanes-- 15m
3 or more lanes-- 40m
depending on what the operator has set.
Those numbers are from the manufacturer.
I haven't got one as they are thinking of banning them here too so that they will be illegal all over Aust .

I print out the radar location list every week to give a good idea where most of em will be and keep a constant eye out for the damn things.
I usually dont speed as I really cannot afford the fines. My licence is clean and I want to keep it that way. :D
Last edited by aussie027 on Sun Aug 30, 2009 5:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I FIND YOUR LACK OF FAITH DISTURBING......

SIR-VRX
Genius
Genius

Postby SIR-VRX » Sun Aug 30, 2009 5:12 pm

just don't speed and there won't be any problems with getting caught, with or without a radar detector. :roll:

Graham
Post Monster
Post Monster

Postby Graham » Sun Aug 30, 2009 7:21 pm

I read instructions when I buy stuff, they're hidden in the box still which is somewhere :P

I use the Whistler Pro 78SE I think it is.
I've picked up a few radar detectors, one coming onto mitchell freeway via kwinana freeway picked up the multanova from 500m away (clear LoS)
but sometimes it's been as little as 50-100m away.

I always check the list every week too just so I have a rough idea, I know all of the hotspots around my area now anyway :P

0 speeding fines to my name aswell and hopefuly it stays that way :)

SIR-VRX I understand that but one of the main reasons I bought one was because I am against WAPOLs revenue raising tactics, I don't beleive that hiding cameras behind bushes on routes people take to and from work every day and the traffic flow is almost always 70 rather than 60.

But of course the other main reason is to save myself money. It's already earnt back about $100, or whatever the fine is for going over the limit by no more than 10km/h is :lol:

ImageImage

Return to “Electrical”