***** ALERT - Nominations for your new ClubCJ Committee can be made here *****

USB interface socket

Alarms, Smart Key, Batteries, Wiring, Engine/Computer Management & Racing Chips.

Moderators: Moderators, Senior Moderators

VRXblack
Lancer VR/GT
Lancer VR/GT

Re: USB interface socket

Postby VRXblack » Wed Jun 19, 2019 11:39 am

Lancer1993 wrote:Can't wait for my new one, should just plug right in.

Just choose the right lead, you need something low profile with flex, especially if you drive a manual, don't need the USB lead getting in the way of a gear change. Still a great solution when traveling and someone needs to charge their phone. Oh also make sure the lead is long enough, just in case they want to take photos while driving, not the driver.

Yeah i have a couple of 1m braided ones that will work out nicely (missues still uses MicroUSB). Also have a short stubby USB-C so i can just throw the phone into the cup holder and charge at the same time without having to worry about it
Also tapping into the 12V charger was a breeze didn't realise that the center console (the arm rest one) plug was right there. So with a couple or T Connectors tapped right into those wires and instantly worked! God i love how easy Mitsubishi make things to get too! Such a great upgrade for $30, looks so much cleaner and nicer instead of having a car charger plugged in etc.
Black 2010 VRX Lancer

Lancer1993
Genius
Genius

Postby Lancer1993 » Wed Jun 19, 2019 1:29 pm

Got home and mine was in the mail box! Will plug it in later and test it.

I agree a nice update and cheap, I have seen some that allow data and power if wired to a suitable HU.
My rides CJ VRX - CC coupe

Lancer1993
Genius
Genius

Postby Lancer1993 » Wed Jun 19, 2019 5:25 pm

Installed!

Now with volt meter, drops to just on 12.1v when engine is off but it will be good to monitor it on longer drives.

Also I've got some USB 'plus' coming in the next few days to keep dust out.

VRXblack
Lancer VR/GT
Lancer VR/GT

Postby VRXblack » Wed Jun 19, 2019 8:50 pm

Lancer1993 wrote:Installed!

Now with volt meter, drops to just on 12.1v when engine is off but it will be good to monitor it on longer drives.

Also I've got some USB 'plus' coming in the next few days to keep dust out.

quick question, i know this probably sounds like a stupid question...
but why would you need to see what the voltage all the time? is there any time where something you plug in will go over 12V? was looking at one of those USB ports but never really stopped to find out why displaying the voltage would make any difference to one that doesn't...
Black 2010 VRX Lancer

Quismiff
Lancer Legend
Lancer Legend

Postby Quismiff » Wed Jun 19, 2019 11:01 pm

usually to monitor Alternator and Battery health. Charging too high bad for battery and means the alternators regulator has died, not charging enough and the battery won't store enough power to crank the engine. Having the voltmeter there allows you to catch it before it becomes a major...
2007 MY08 VR-X (cj-red)

I'm an eccentric smart-arse whose sarcasm has him perpetually in the s#@!.

Lancer1993
Genius
Genius

Postby Lancer1993 » Thu Jun 20, 2019 4:44 pm

VRXblack wrote:quick question, i know this probably sounds like a stupid question...
but why would you need to see what the voltage all the time? is there any time where something you plug in will go over 12V? was looking at one of those USB ports but never really stopped to find out why displaying the voltage would make any difference to one that doesn't...

Seeing this thread I decided I needed to do something as one of the ports on the old one was not working, so I decided to try something different, it plugged right in to the same connection. Looks the part and I've got some plugs coming.

The only issue was being a cheap item the tip that holds it wasn't quite right, so got out a tiny file to make it clip in place.

Got it over on AliExpress for less than $20.
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Origina ... 4c4dflLKGy

As I said the volts when engine off (Acc on) is about 12.1v, running its about 14.6v. With my dash cams hard wired in they cut out after a few hours when it hits 12v to protect the battery. Might need to consider a more powerful battery?

Quismiff
Lancer Legend
Lancer Legend

Postby Quismiff » Thu Jun 20, 2019 5:30 pm

Reserve Capacity is what you look for when considering a new battery, Volts are obviously consistent, CCA and RC are usually the factors that change with size.
From the internets wrote:Reserve Capacity (RC) is a very important rating. This is the number of minutes a fully charged battery at 80°F will discharge 25 amps until the battery drops below 10.5 volts. An amp hour (AH) is a rating usually found on deep cycle batteries

supercheap list a couple of heavy duty batteries for the Lancer, one has 120mins of reserve, the other 105mins, but quite the price difference for 15 extra minutes...
2007 MY08 VR-X (cj-red)

I'm an eccentric smart-arse whose sarcasm has him perpetually in the s#@!.

Lancer1993
Genius
Genius

Postby Lancer1993 » Fri Jun 21, 2019 8:30 am

If my battery drops below 12v my CJ just won't start. On my dash cam wiring I set the volts to 11.5v min and next day the car was dead.

And this battery is an RACQ one and less than 18 months old.

VRXblack
Lancer VR/GT
Lancer VR/GT

Postby VRXblack » Fri Jun 21, 2019 11:12 am

Lancer1993 wrote:
VRXblack wrote:quick question, i know this probably sounds like a stupid question...

Seeing this thread I decided I needed to do something as one of the ports on the old one was not working, so I decided to try something different, it plugged right in to the same connection. Looks the part and I've got some plugs coming.

The only issue was being a cheap item the tip that holds it wasn't quite right, so got out a tiny file to make it clip in place.

Got it over on AliExpress for less than $20.
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Origina ... 4c4dflLKGy

As I said the volts when engine off (Acc on) is about 12.1v, running its about 14.6v. With my dash cams hard wired in they cut out after a few hours when it hits 12v to protect the battery. Might need to consider a more powerful battery?

Ah ok makes sense.

i had to upgrade my battery after the install of the new headunit along with all its bits and the dash cam. i remember when i had upgraded it and took it in for a service their system came back with a battery failure and said that its not powerful enough to handle everything. Obviously they wanted to sell me an overpriced one but lucky enough supercheap auto were having a sale and ended up getting a more beefier one from there for a decent price. Since then have not had an issue.
Black 2010 VRX Lancer

wallaw819
Lancer Newbie
Lancer Newbie

Postby wallaw819 » Fri Jun 21, 2019 11:43 am

For starting the CCA of the battery would be more important.
Back to enjoying the row-yourself-transmission after 20 years of auto.

VRXblack
Lancer VR/GT
Lancer VR/GT

Postby VRXblack » Fri Jun 21, 2019 1:48 pm

and if you need to upgrade then i just found this as well: https://www.autobarn.com.au/flash-sale
30% of car batteries...
Black 2010 VRX Lancer

Lancer1993
Genius
Genius

Postby Lancer1993 » Fri Jun 21, 2019 8:31 pm

Mine is usually okay, but if its on the edge you can tell, it sounds sluggish when turning over. But any decent drive and its fine.

Return to “Electrical”