***** ALERT - Nominations for your new ClubCJ Committee can be made here *****

Horn installer in VIC

Alarms, Smart Key, Batteries, Wiring, Engine/Computer Management & Racing Chips.

Moderators: Moderators, Senior Moderators

rasit.aslim
Lancer ES/EX
Lancer ES/EX

Horn installer in VIC

Postby rasit.aslim » Sat Nov 17, 2018 2:08 am

As mentioned in chat:

Has anyone fitted a stebel horn before? I'm trying to find someone in VIC (south east suburbs) who could possibly fit it for me, i will pay of course :P I can even come to you if it'll make things easier!

It has the relay included, so I would like to keep my factory horn and use this one with it for that extra sound and to keep things legal.
2017 Lancer ES CF Sport

Viking
Lancer VR/GT
Lancer VR/GT

Re: Horn installer in VIC

Postby Viking » Sat Nov 17, 2018 9:19 am

It should be a fairly easy thing to DIY. Just need to find a good source for 12V and then run the wires.

The Stebel horn I have (hiding in the garage somewhere) has pretty clear instructions with it. I really should get off my arse and install it at some stage...

Lancer1993
Genius
Genius

Postby Lancer1993 » Sat Nov 17, 2018 11:15 am

When I installed a pair of Hellas I just ran it from the horns wiring, no extra relay or anything. Just needed to make up a good earth wire, pretty easy DIY if you'd done something like that before.

I don't know is the Stebel horn needs extra power from its own relay?

Is Stebel louder than Hella?

Pity you're in VIC, could have a sound off LOL
My rides CJ VRX - CC coupe

lancerdarryl
Lancer MASTER
Lancer MASTER

Postby lancerdarryl » Sat Nov 17, 2018 11:31 am

You should use a relay to prevent damage to the car wiring
Evolution X MR+ Lancer VRX Sportback +LA Lancer GSR
"Don't back off until you hit something"

Lancer1993
Genius
Genius

Postby Lancer1993 » Sat Nov 17, 2018 1:17 pm

My Hellas are basically a bigger version of any stock horn found on most cars, will they over heat the stock wiring?

What I want to do is get a air horn that plays the dixie turn (aka Dukes of Hazard) and to make it legal wire it to a seperate switch, not the steering wheel button. Just need to find a spot under the bonnet for the trumpets.

Shaun Patterson
Lancer VRX/GTS
Lancer VRX/GTS

Postby Shaun Patterson » Sat Nov 17, 2018 1:19 pm

lancerdarryl wrote:You should use a relay to prevent damage to the car wiring

you dont need a relay i have run 6 sets of hella horns off the stock wiring to prove a point, 7 sets blew the fuse, wiring wont be hurt running a single set

Lancer1993
Genius
Genius

Postby Lancer1993 » Sat Nov 17, 2018 1:21 pm

And I thought the 2 looked good in my grill :)

Dixie Tune - thoughts anyone?

bumblebee
Post Monster
Post Monster

Postby bumblebee » Sat Nov 17, 2018 3:00 pm

OMG!
Please ignore the silly posts from people who clearly have no,idea WTF they are talking about.
For a stebel horn or in fact any other horn you want to run off the the lancer get yourself the wiring harness that goes with it. I have made posts on here before about this.
Never run an extra horn off the stock wiring. Ever.
The wiring harness uses the stock wiring as a trigger and gets power direct from the battery.
If you lived closer I would happily do it.
If you have no idea WTF to do I strongly urge you to get an auto lekky to do the job for you.

Buy this off e bay if you want the wiring harness and stebel horn together the item number is

rasit.aslim
Lancer ES/EX
Lancer ES/EX

Postby rasit.aslim » Sat Nov 17, 2018 3:23 pm

Cheers bumblebee! Would this work? I have the horn and the relay which was included in the packaging. Just need the harness as you mentioned.
https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/253917552475?ul_noapp=true
2017 Lancer ES CF Sport

Lancer1993
Genius
Genius

Postby Lancer1993 » Sat Nov 17, 2018 5:38 pm

All I know is I've have the Hella horns on my CJ for almost 4 years, it was one of my first mods and has worked without issue.

I don't know about the Stebel horn but I do agree some like airhorns do need a relay and yes its not a hard mod. I put some on my first car over 20 years ago and they are the same today.

lancerdarryl
Lancer MASTER
Lancer MASTER

Postby lancerdarryl » Sun Nov 18, 2018 8:16 am

rasit.aslim wrote:Cheers bumblebee! Would this work? I have the horn and the relay which was included in the packaging. Just need the harness as you mentioned.
https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/253917552475?ul_noapp=true

That will do the job perfectly
Evolution X MR+ Lancer VRX Sportback +LA Lancer GSR

"Don't back off until you hit something"

Shaun Patterson
Lancer VRX/GTS
Lancer VRX/GTS

Postby Shaun Patterson » Fri Jan 04, 2019 4:08 am

I've tested the hella horns with my bracket and wiring kit I've been selling g dr 12 months..I ran 7 sets of horns on the stock harness before the fuse even popped, the wiring is more than capable

I have run over 20 amps through the oem loom wiring to test and it didnt even heat up to touch

So anyone wanting to run a set of horns on oem wiring bin the relay split the loom and install the horns

Skrallex
Lancer VRX/GTS
Lancer VRX/GTS

Postby Skrallex » Sun Jan 06, 2019 12:02 am

I think there's merit in both methods; installing the relay and harness means you definitely aren't going to overload the wires, and you don't need to touch the stock harness. On the other hand, the factory wiring can clearly handle your typical horn, including Hella horns, as Shaun has mentioned. Not sure about air horns, but I doubt they would be pulling 20 Amps, thats really quite a lot. Benefit of just using the stock wiring means you don't have to have extra after-market installed wiring coming off your battery, which is ALWAYS a plus in my books.

If you install the relay and harness, just make sure you install the fuse the properly. While a relay alone provides SOME protection, it's not an adequate short-circuit protection device. You should always have a fuse as close as possible to the battery positive to protect the cables and devices down-stream.

bumblebee
Post Monster
Post Monster

Postby bumblebee » Fri Jan 18, 2019 5:06 pm

After you connect all your accessories with no wiring harness and no fuses and no relay and it all goes up in smoke please post the photos up. We can all use a good laugh.

Seriously though if you have NFI what your doing please do the right thing and use the wiring harness.
Better yet become a "visa card" mechanic and get an Auto electrician to do your work untill you either become a tradesman in the electrical field and know what your doing and do it yourself.

Lancer1993
Genius
Genius

Postby Lancer1993 » Sat Jan 19, 2019 10:23 am

As long as it doesn't need more power, like an air horn then the stock wiring does have a fuse so if it overloads it should blow the fuse first right?

Return to “Electrical”