***** ALERT - Nominations for your new ClubCJ Committee can be made here *****

Proximity Key Boot Issue?

Alarms, Smart Key, Batteries, Wiring, Engine/Computer Management & Racing Chips.

Moderators: Moderators, Senior Moderators

Lancer1993
Genius
Genius

Proximity Key Boot Issue?

Postby Lancer1993 » Fri Sep 21, 2018 3:13 pm

Something weird is happening with my boot, the proximity thing is not working some times.
I press the button on the boot and it won't work, do this 2-3 times before it opens.
I've tried both keys and the same thing is happening.

Now the only work I've had done recently is having the dash cams wired so they are on 24/7.
They have WiFi, could they be interfering with the proximity key signal?

Pressing the button on the remote works most of the time, I say most as I have pressing it a couple of times without luck.

That said the doors open fine and the car starts okay without any warnings on the dash about low battery or the like.
My rides CJ VRX - CC coupe

Quismiff
Lancer Legend
Lancer Legend

Re: Proximity Key Boot Issue?

Postby Quismiff » Sat Sep 22, 2018 8:30 am

My boot switch has always needed to be pressed 2 - 3 times before it pops, and the button on my switch, even on the Magna has required 2 presses, I believe the FOB is to protect against accidental presses so the boot doesn't pop when you press it getting the key out of, or putting them in, your pocket.
2007 MY08 VR-X (cj-red)

I'm an eccentric smart-arse whose sarcasm has him perpetually in the s#@!.

VRXblack
Lancer VR/GT
Lancer VR/GT

Postby VRXblack » Sat Sep 22, 2018 8:34 am

yeah same. i have to press mine at least twice before it even open and i kinda hold it down as well for like 1-2sec. always thought it was a little normal to tell you the truth.
Black 2010 VRX Lancer

ReeceCozaa
Lancer Legend
Lancer Legend

Postby ReeceCozaa » Sat Sep 22, 2018 11:44 am

Same here, I also found my door buttons barely work unless the keys right next to the door, I wouldn’t say it’s anything much
We are all in it for the fun!

Lancer1993
Genius
Genius

Postby Lancer1993 » Sat Sep 22, 2018 4:16 pm

Most times I've only had to press once, sometimes keeping my finger pressed for a couple of seconds.

I'll keep and eye on it, worked okay today.

Side note I have a minor change to the dash cams wiring to do tomorrow.

burfadel
Lancer Ralliart
Lancer Ralliart

Postby burfadel » Sat Sep 22, 2018 5:56 pm

The boot button is designed to be pressed twice to avoid accidental opening. You just press it quickly twice, no hassle :D.

As for the other buttons, if your key has the light check the brightness. You may see it isn't fully bright the first time pressed. Electrical contact spray (get a decent quality one) works well on them, give it a good spray around the button gaps if you don't want to dismantle it, and press the keys as you're doing it for a proper cleanse. The spray works great on any other switches or where electrical contact takes place, so having a can around can be useful. You may need to repeat it on the key in a month, and do it a couple of times a year.
I might add a pic of my car once I style the exterior a bit :).

VRXblack
Lancer VR/GT
Lancer VR/GT

Postby VRXblack » Mon Sep 24, 2018 8:55 am

Well after reading all this i decided to try and double press the boot button and it instantly unlocked. i was also about 3 metres away.
Always thought i had to real close and had to hold the the button down. But there you go learn something new every day. Thanks for the info guys!
Black 2010 VRX Lancer

Skrallex
Lancer VRX/GTS
Lancer VRX/GTS

Postby Skrallex » Mon Sep 24, 2018 4:09 pm

Reading this I'm confused if people mean the boot button on the key fob, or the keyless entry button on models with the smart key.

On my VRX, the button on the key fob MUST be pressed twice in quick succession. Not sure if you can just hold it down, that may also work.

The keyless entry rubber button on the boot lid of mine must be HELD DOWN for a second or two. Never tried double pressing it, but a single press doesn't seem to work. I've not had any issues with it not working when the key is still in my pocket. Only annoying thing about this is that there seems to be a period after opening the boot with the keyless entry during which you cannot unlock the rest of the car with keyless entry - maybe 15 seconds or so. Ie, open boot with the rubber button on the boot lid, chuck shopping in, close boot, walk to driver side door and touch the back of the door handle, and nothing happens. Touch it again and it will unlock. Minor annoyance to be honest.

ReeceCozaa
Lancer Legend
Lancer Legend

Postby ReeceCozaa » Mon Sep 24, 2018 4:55 pm

Hahaha this^ this is exactly how my key FOB and bolt button work
We are all in it for the fun!

Lancer1993
Genius
Genius

Postby Lancer1993 » Mon Sep 24, 2018 5:19 pm

Well then, I just tried the double press for the boot as I was approaching from the front and yes at least 5m away and it worked, previously I thought you have to be behind the boot and close to it for the key fob button to work... wonder if this is in the instruction book LOL

That said most of the time I use the button on the boot or doors to open the car.

Return to “Electrical”