***** ALERT - Nominations for your new ClubCJ Committee can be made here *****

Manual to automatic climate control

Alarms, Smart Key, Batteries, Wiring, Engine/Computer Management & Racing Chips.

Moderators: Moderators, Senior Moderators

dopey
Lancer ES/EX
Lancer ES/EX

Manual to automatic climate control

Postby dopey » Sat Jun 30, 2018 7:25 pm

hey all, has anyone upgraded their manual climate control to the auto version? I did a search and there's a fair bit of info out there but it doesn't appear that anyone has actually done it.

From what I've read it seems simple enough. Climate control panel, photo and temp sensor. Some people reckon you need the ECU, others say you don't.

So I checked out the local wreckers and there's a few VRs with auto climate. Problem is none have the photo sensor (in the middle of the dash next to the windscreen), only a blank out piece. Removing the dash cluster and the plug is there but nothing connected to it. They all have auto wipers and lights, but from what I've read the rain sensor behind the mirror is for the wipers and auto lights only.

So if anyone's got any tips let us know! Thanks.

sarusa
Lancer Legend
Lancer Legend

Re: Manual to automatic climate control

Postby sarusa » Sun Jul 01, 2018 11:53 am

dopey wrote:hey all, has anyone upgraded their manual climate control to the auto version? I did a search and there's a fair bit of info out there but it doesn't appear that anyone has actually done it.

From what I've read it seems simple enough. Climate control panel, photo and temp sensor. Some people reckon you need the ECU, others say you don't.

So I checked out the local wreckers and there's a few VRs with auto climate. Problem is none have the photo sensor (in the middle of the dash next to the windscreen), only a blank out piece. Removing the dash cluster and the plug is there but nothing connected to it. They all have auto wipers and lights, but from what I've read the rain sensor behind the mirror is for the wipers and auto lights only.

So if anyone's got any tips let us know! Thanks.

My car is a MY15 ES sport owned from new and has auto climate control and there is just a blank plate on the dash.
So obviously has nothing to do with auto climate control.

Lancer1993
Genius
Genius

Postby Lancer1993 » Sun Jul 01, 2018 3:20 pm

The panel on top of the dash, centre near the windscreen, is for the AC. From memory its a light sensor so its used to adjust the climate control settings.
My rides CJ VRX - CC coupe

dopey
Lancer ES/EX
Lancer ES/EX

Postby dopey » Sun Jul 01, 2018 6:36 pm

Thanks all for the replies, I'm starting to suspect that Australian delivered models don't actually come with the light sensor. I've checked out heaps of VRs with auto climate and none of them have the photo sensor on the dash. The plug for it is definitely there behind the instrument cluster, but nothing is connected to it.

Thanks sarusa for confirming that late model lancers don't come with the sensor either. I thought maybe it was just the earlier models that didn't.

I grabbed a light sensor off a 380, in full light the resistance was a lot higher than when it was covered so I'm guessing the AC would act like it was in full sun all the time without it. It kinda makes sense as it would cool the car down quicker at night.

Lancer1993
Genius
Genius

Postby Lancer1993 » Sun Jul 01, 2018 8:55 pm

My dash matt came with a cutout for what ever that is on the dash.

dopey
Lancer ES/EX
Lancer ES/EX

Postby dopey » Mon Jul 02, 2018 9:20 am

hey mate, so you've got the sensor on the dash?

Quismiff
Lancer Legend
Lancer Legend

Postby Quismiff » Mon Jul 02, 2018 10:19 am

This is the part number for the photo sensor from my 2008 VR-X when the car is in the shade the fan slows down, when in the sun it cranks right up. You will need to look for a VR-X or higher, maybe an Aspire even for these.
2007 MY08 VR-X (cj-red)

I'm an eccentric smart-arse whose sarcasm has him perpetually in the s#@!.

sarusa
Lancer Legend
Lancer Legend

Postby sarusa » Mon Jul 02, 2018 10:30 am

The air conditioner turns itself off and on when the temperature reaches either as set manually or at a set predetermined point when automatic.
also in automatic sets heater on and off at a predetermined point.

All temperature within the car related, by the mechanics of the heating - cooling system. nothing to do with what is happening outside.

dopey
Lancer ES/EX
Lancer ES/EX

Postby dopey » Mon Jul 02, 2018 11:55 am

I've seen that pic a lot, but does your VRX have one fitted? The Aspire at jollys didn't :?

sarusa is right when he says that the temp will only heat/cool to the set temp, and it probably gets there quicker without the sensor but you might get a little bit more noise in the cabin with the fan going flat out.

Quismiff
Lancer Legend
Lancer Legend

Postby Quismiff » Mon Jul 02, 2018 12:08 pm

It does, well the bubbles there, haven't popped it out so see if it is attached :lol:
2007 MY08 VR-X (cj-red)

dopey
Lancer ES/EX
Lancer ES/EX

Postby dopey » Mon Jul 02, 2018 1:18 pm

thanks mate, if it has the bubble then its got the sensor. All the VRs at the wreckers had a flat blanking cover with auto climate control. I wonder if only the early cars had them?

Quismiff
Lancer Legend
Lancer Legend

Postby Quismiff » Mon Jul 02, 2018 1:23 pm

Possibly, here are some EPC images, The 2008 ES had the same pictures as the 2015, just the part numbers for the controls were different.

2008 VR-X (mine) and 2015 ES (sarusas) Heater unit and dash control comparison.
VR-X note the A/C ECU in the corner by the fan, highlighted blue meaning fitted to vehicle
ES note absence of A/C ECU, most likely a more mechanical control system, or updated with 7 years of newer tech.
and VR-X Dash
ES Dash
The controllers aren't that different between models, the 2008 ES had colour coded temperature scale, where the VR-X and 2015 ES have degrees marked on the dials. everything will be controlled by ECUs and temperature sensors inside and outside.

The beauty of CANBus is that everything is programmed into the ECAS ECUs so all you need to do is plug in the new parts and in some cases they work as expected, others require a "switch" to be flicked in the software.
2007 MY08 VR-X (cj-red)

dopey
Lancer ES/EX
Lancer ES/EX

Postby dopey » Mon Jul 02, 2018 2:15 pm

thanks mate, still not sure if I need the climate ECU, according to this dude all you need is the climate control panel, cabin temp sensor and hose.

http://lynspira.blogspot.com/2013/10/ch ... ioner.html

the victim is a 2008 Lancer. like all mods the cheaper the better :lol:

Lancer1993
Genius
Genius

Postby Lancer1993 » Mon Jul 02, 2018 5:05 pm

I have a VRX so comes with Climate Control AC and the only issue I've had with full auto is when its really cold and the front windows start fogging up, I have to put it on demister to force air up onto the windscreen, which cranks up the fan speed.

Normally I just leave it on full auto and use the temp to adjust home much air I need and what temp.

Quismiff
Lancer Legend
Lancer Legend

Postby Quismiff » Tue Jul 03, 2018 9:17 am

Lancer1993 wrote:I have a VRX so comes with Climate Control AC and the only issue I've had with full auto is when its really cold and the front windows start fogging up, I have to put it on demister to force air up onto the windscreen, which cranks up the fan speed.

Normally I just leave it on full auto and use the temp to adjust home much air I need and what temp.

In mine the first thing in the morning, or if the car has been sitting outside before I garage it at night it blasts the front windows and then shifts round to the feet, or face, and slows down (being in Melbourne at the moment it isn't going below 28*). The part that clears your windows real quick is the A/C. I remember years ago driving around the South Island of NZ in a 1994/5 Nissan Terrano (Pathfinder here) we turned the A/C right down and onto the window and it iced up :lol:
dopey wrote:thanks mate, still not sure if I need the climate ECU, according to this dude all you need is the climate control panel, cabin temp sensor and hose.
Will have to look at that cabin temp sensor hole in my dash, I looked all through my EPC and there is nothing about a sensor going in that region :? if someone has pulled it out and has a part number or a photo of it, please send it to me so i can have a wifes look :lol:
2007 MY08 VR-X (cj-red)

Return to “Electrical”