***** ALERT - Nominations for your new ClubCJ Committee can be made here *****

OBD2 scanner assistance.

Alarms, Smart Key, Batteries, Wiring, Engine/Computer Management & Racing Chips.

Moderators: Moderators, Senior Moderators

WhiteLancer14
Lancer Learner
Lancer Learner

OBD2 scanner assistance.

Postby WhiteLancer14 » Fri Dec 08, 2017 10:39 pm

Happy Friday everyone.

I require some OBD2 scanner assistance.

To cut a long story short I have recently purchased two scanners, one being the maxiscan MS309 and another being an ELM327 v2.1. I haven't setup the ELM yet and the maxi works fine, though states "monitors OK 6" and "codes found 0". Which kinda made me want to buy a second scanner to play them against each other.

But the Mrs found my stash of scanners and semi flipped out because shed bought me the jaycar pp-2145 as a Christmas present, along with a few other awesome gifts.

So is the jaycar scanner any better then the others most commonly found on ebay? Is it worth keeping, or take jaycar up on the offer of Christmas gift exchange up until mid January?

Kinda feel like a prick about this. Still LOL material.

WhiteLancer14
Lancer Learner
Lancer Learner

Re: OBD2 scanner assistance.

Postby WhiteLancer14 » Fri Dec 08, 2017 10:42 pm

Oh and by the way, the Jaycar scanner is $70 or so.

Mooman
Lancer VRX/GTS
Lancer VRX/GTS

Postby Mooman » Sat Dec 09, 2017 7:39 am

The Jaycar and ELM327 v2.1 are probably using the same chip and both use the Torque App (or equivalent) through Bluetooth so will tell the same info etc.

If you can it would make sense to return the Jaycar unit as it is just a more expensive version of the same thing.

sarusa
Lancer Legend
Lancer Legend

Postby sarusa » Mon Dec 11, 2017 9:39 am

Using an adequate scan tool. With the enabled/disabled settings. If a code is disabled with a scan tool. Will it automatically return to enabled if a problem, is either still there or if a new problem arises? Or does it have to be physically enabled?

Reason for query. Suspect a code might have been disabled and a part swapped at last service. Behavior of car after service gave indications this might have happened. Possible EGR valve and may be injectors.

Car that had only traveled less then 5,000ks was idling smooth and perfect for a 4 cylinder engine when handed in, was idling rough after service, returned to smooth idle after about a week or so
Instrument panel that shows ltrs per 100ks which went berserk at the same time as the above, returned to normal at the same time

Strange question asked by service manager. Asked if I always only used 98ron petrol? Makes me wonder why!!! :?

Return to “Electrical”